PDA

View Full Version : replacing pisons and rods..

**DONOTDELETE**
08-23-2001, 01:38 PM
alright.. while building my 92 Dohc ka24de.. I've been wandering .. I know nissan performance makes 2 different variations of pistons for the ka.. a normal stock replacement and a performance model.. but aside from this.. does anyone know of a retailer that might be able to order or if not have these in stock. I believe the price was $50 per piston. also.. are the rods and pistons for the s14 and 13 interchangeable.. I don't really know if the VVT has anything that might hinder the compatability.. thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
08-23-2001, 02:34 PM
I don't think any KA's have VVT. Are you talking about the S14 KA pistons as the performance version? They are a little stronger than the S13 pistons. I believe the rods and pistons will interchange between the S13 and S14 DOHC engines. I tried contacting Courtesy Nissan about a price on S14 KA pistons but they ignored me. You may try your local Nissan dealer or some machine shops.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-23-2001, 05:34 PM
The factory S14 pistons are probably going to be the best deal on cast pistons.

Forged pistons would be in the $500 range, and they may be worth it depending on your application.

Your questions are a little scattered. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to do a factory rebuild or a turbo rebuild or a high compression NA build? Explaining the scope of your project will help us give thought-out useful answers.

Dennis

**DONOTDELETE**
08-25-2001, 10:28 AM
alright point taken.. currently like I've said in previous posts.. I have a 92 Dohc with 130,000 on it.. to swap in my 89 SE Fastback.... so while I have it torn down.. I was considering replacing the internals for future functionability. eventually .. I'd like to go supercharged.. I know that Unstable-Hybrids is working on a SC application for the KA.. but in all actuality.. I believe the stock internals with upgraded rod studs are good up to 9psi of boost.. "so I have been told anyhow".. and I do know that the s14 internals are better for boosting than the s13's are.. so.. I believe that I can get my desired results out of stock rods.. s14 pistons. arp rod studs. and 2 crossed fingers... I'm aiming for 220hp which is enough to spank most civics/hondas around the nashville area.. but since I've have the current DOHC torn down.. Time to replace or not...?

**DONOTDELETE**
08-25-2001, 12:01 PM
Might as well get the S14 pistons if you are doing a full rebuild. I wonder if they come overbored so that the cylinders can be bored for smoothness. 260 rwhp should be attainable with the 10 - 11psi of boost you will be able to run on those pistons.

08-25-2001, 12:59 PM
You should be able to get OEM pistons in the factory overbore sizes -- 0.5mm and 1.0mm over.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JD:
Might as well get the S14 pistons if you are doing a full rebuild. I wonder if they come overbored so that the cylinders can be bored for smoothness. 260 rwhp should be attainable with the 10 - 11psi of boost you will be able to run on those pistons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>