PDA

View Full Version : RB20DET in a S13 coupe, help.

LouEgeee
10-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Hey, There is a Rb20det on ebay for $800 (complete clip) and i was thinkning about purchasing it, before some guys on here get a little smirk on their face and think this is an oppurtinity to flame, i have swapped a redtop sr in my s14 before (myself) and i know all about the sr but since i have purchased my 90 coupe (2 weeks ago) i was thinking of doing this a little differnt. I am a little un-familiar when it comes to the rb engines. First things first: Is this rb20det worth it? Will it go in as easy as my sr did, if not is it that much more complicated? Is there an aftermarket for the rb? YES, i did use the search button asad http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif and i didn't come up with much, well at least not to answer my questions. Well any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

crazyikimasho
10-11-2003, 12:34 PM
You should be able to find ample discussion on whether the RB20 is "worth it".

My thoughts are that it is a matter of opinion. Speaking from experience, the RB swap is by no means simple. The work you will put into a RB series motor will be much more than that of a SR. So basically compare the aftermarket available, which is growing but not great, and the power as well as power potential to that of SR or CA for that matter.

You are definitely going to get varying opinions, many of which you should be able to find searching thru the forums, but my advice is to do some research, form your own and go from there.

SilviaS14
10-11-2003, 12:35 PM
use the search function.

Yellow4g63
10-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Needs mounts, harness work needs to be done. Can use stock Drive shaft. Is it worth it? depends on if you think it is. Someone else might not think so, They might say Rb20 is weak just go with a RB25 because it's bigger.

KSU_S13Less
10-12-2003, 08:31 AM
It's up to you man. I give respect to all RB swaps (I'm an SR owner btw http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). The cool thing about the RB20 is it's ability to rev. I think it would be cool to see some crazy built RB swapped cars on the board. That being said, for the extra weight penalty you should definatly take a look at what you can do to up the power a bit more. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the potential of the motor. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SuperHatch
10-12-2003, 08:59 AM
use the search function.

Ahh, the infamous "reply before reading the post" that we see so often on FA. Caught in the act...

Anyways, something more on-topic. I believe the RB is worth it. This is simply my opinion, I feel it is an easier motor to work on than an SR, since it is very similar to a CA. Timing belt is simple, valvetrain is much less complex and more rev-happy. The short-stroke RB combined with it's valvetrain will be much more cabable of making high RPM power once setup to do so. And even though not many people here like the "individuality" factor of any swap, I do, and an RB is certainly less common than an SR. HTH

- Steve

Ahhsk
10-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Ahh, the infamous "reply before reading the post" that we see so often on FA. Caught in the act...

What? He wont get any info on this thread because it is all ready out there. Search is the correct reply:

largest thread found in a SEARCH for RB20, 240sx Advanced, entire phrase, all posts. (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67433856&Forum =UBB9&Words=rb20&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage= 2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=67433856&Search=true# Post67433856)

SuperHatch
10-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, he said he did search, and he was looking for more info than what he found....

- Steve

Ahhsk
10-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Hey, There is a Rb20det on ebay for $800 (complete clip) and i was thinkning about purchasing it, before some guys on here get a little smirk on their face and think this is an oppurtinity to flame, i have swapped a redtop sr in my s14 before (myself) and i know all about the sr but since i have purchased my 90 coupe (2 weeks ago) i was thinking of doing this a little differnt. I am a little un-familiar when it comes to the rb engines. First things first: Is this rb20det worth it? Will it go in as easy as my sr did, if not is it that much more complicated? Is there an aftermarket for the rb? YES, i did use the search button asad and i didn't come up with much, well at least not to answer my questions. Well any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well, he said he did search, and he was looking for more info than what he found....

if that makes you feel better ok.

johnrb25s14
10-13-2003, 08:44 PM
I may not have the rb20 done, but i have the rb25 and i've been more than happy with it in my s14. It's really the smoothest ride i've had in a 6cylinder car. The potential is definately there with every mod that you add on to an rb series engine. I say go for it. There are other forums that show interchangable parts for the rb's

www.meggala.com//skylinesdownunder.com...etc... (http://www.meggala.com//skylinesdownunder.com...etc...)

google definately helps out!

crazyikimasho
10-13-2003, 09:10 PM
John, will you drop me an email, if you dont mind

justin2477@yahoo.com

LouEgeee
10-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Why can't anyone post a question without the worry of being flamed by others who sit on here everyday, all day, and look for the oppurtunity to start a post brawl? Are you that much of a geek? If someone wants help they should be able to ask on a forum for it without others saying.. search function, search this, search that.. blah blah.. I did search and didn't come up with much, i have a life so that means i can't spend hours just tryin to get an answer to a simple problem or in this case an opinion, when i can get a direct answer by just asking. I'm not against the "search function" i just couldn't find much on there, so before you reply with "well i found a lot" just remember, your a loser. thanks to those that helped, peace!

240sxTurbo
10-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Why can't anyone post a question without the worry of being flamed by others who sit on here everyday, all day, and look for the oppurtunity to start a post brawl? Are you that much of a geek? If someone wants help they should be able to ask on a forum for it without others saying.. search function, search this, search that.. blah blah.. I did search and didn't come up with much, i have a life so that means i can't spend hours just tryin to get an answer to a simple problem or in this case an opinion, when i can get a direct answer by just asking. I'm not against the "search function" i just couldn't find much on there, so before you reply with "well i found a lot" just remember, your a loser. thanks to those that helped, peace!

A more tactful response on your part would have been no response at all.

Ahhsk
10-14-2003, 09:20 AM

Ha, You know I was actually trying to help.

Have a nice day
Oscar

89SX
10-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Well, my opinion, is since you don't have time to find out simple problems, how are you going to find time to fix complex problems???
Oh, last I heard is that RB20's aren't that great of an engine in the whole RB series. might as well go for something larger, IE, RB25. But hey, since it seems like you know what you want, why are you asking the forum.
It will not go in as easy as the SR, however it is supposed to be semi straightforward. You could go Standalone and skip alot of stuff, or could splice wiring and such. It's been documented somewhat, but again that would require some searching on your part, so good luck.
There is an aftermarket for the RB. In Japan. Here, I would imagine there is a little less availibility on parts than there is with a SR. You can get anything, but, you would have to search for it. Doh, that magic word again.

LouEgeee
10-14-2003, 11:14 AM
The whole point of this post was to get a couple of opinions. I don't need full specs or install help yet because I did NOT choose to do anything yet due to some research before hand. I always use the search first and if i don't get the answers i am looking for then i WILL post and ask. I will search for something worth searching for (technical, install help, problems, ect..) Not opinions, and thats all i was looking for. Mods feel free to lock up this meaningless thread for it has turned into what i was afraid of. Thanks.

240sxTurbo
10-14-2003, 01:21 PM
The whole point of this post was to get a couple of opinions. I don't need full specs or install help yet because I did NOT choose to do anything yet due to some research before hand. I always use the search first and if i don't get the answers i am looking for then i WILL post and ask. I will search for something worth searching for (technical, install help, problems, ect..) Not opinions, and thats all i was looking for. Mods feel free to lock up this meaningless thread for it has turned into what i was afraid of. Thanks.

Why do you feel the need to justify yourself to people on a web board anyway? If it makes you sleep at night then go for it I guess...... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif