PDA

View Full Version : FMIC needs more air for more power!

BMac
10-17-2003, 02:13 PM
The stock bumper on the s13s covers the top 1/3 of the intercooler which makes a noticeable power loss. I'm looking for ideas on how to change this without chopping the bumper up or removing the steel behind it. I know I'm not the first to think about this so I figured this would be the best place to look for ideas. Got any? Custom air vents? Custom steel reinforcment (aka. FMIC Protector)? Got Pics?

McGuirk
10-17-2003, 02:40 PM
The stock bumper on the s13s covers the top 1/3 of the intercooler which makes a noticeable power loss. I'm looking for ideas on how to change this without chopping the bumper up or removing the steel behind it. I know I'm not the first to think about this so I figured this would be the best place to look for ideas. Got any? Custom air vents? Custom steel reinforcment (aka. FMIC Protector)? Got Pics?

In many cases I would never thing there would be such a significant power loss, but oh well. As for those solutions, they are kind of radical. If you are going to blow money on some custom thing to keep a stock bumper, why not just get a new one?

NismoFeind
10-17-2003, 04:37 PM
buy a shorter better more efficent* intercooler.

Need4Boost
10-17-2003, 05:31 PM

Okay whenever you upgrade to a pretty big FMIC you will lose your front bumper support unless you are able to hack it up. Also the manufacturers assumption when you buy their FMIC kit is that you are going to upgrade your bumper cover to take fulll advantage of the unit.

In many cases I would never thing there would be such a significant power loss, but oh well. As for those solutions, they are kind of radical. If you are going to blow money on some custom thing to keep a stock bumper, why not just get a new one?

Well losing power because you don't have enough flow to your intercooler is very likely! Imagine if you could increase the air flow to your FMIC by 15%. That would mean that you have 15% more air to dispitate heat from the cooler, therefore meaning lower intake temperatures. Lower intake temperature mean denser air, meaning more to combust, meaning more POWER.....any questions?

Also building your own "air guides" is not a waste of time or money if you do it right.

My advice, take soem time to plan it out and use your noggen when you build it. I have this on my track/race car and it makes a difference in performance because it is concentrating air flow to my FMIC & raditor! Don't forget about your raditor.

McGuirk
10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
any questions?

Yes...

more air to dispitate heat

What does dispitate mean?

FMIC by 15%

Where did you get 15% from? 1/3 = 33.33%

meaning more POWER.....

And where did you pull this from? I never said it WOULDN'T mean more power I just said I was unsure how much of a difference it would make.

BMac
10-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Put it this way, when i first got it running there was no bumper on the car yet. When I put the bumper on I noticed the power loss. I saw a pic of a car with some air vents on the nose of the bumper which is what covers the IC. I think I'm gonna try and do that but I have to get rid of the support. Maybe I'll make a new one out of steel tube.

Thx247
10-17-2003, 10:49 PM
unless you noticed that power loss on the dyno, its as accurate as the butt dyno says it is.

With ducting its possible to have a duct 25%+/- the size of the IC and still realize everything to its fullest potential.

Make a duct if you can

AZ_Dave
10-17-2003, 10:53 PM
my gallery is down, or else I'd show you my cut chuki bumper

nrcooled
10-18-2003, 03:25 PM
This was my solution to overheating but it does help with airflow to the FMIC
http://members.cox.net/nrcooled20/smallcarolina240.jpg