PDA

View Full Version : anyone using a HKS Vein Pressure Converter VPC

S14GTR
10-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Any problem with it, does it require a lot of tuning, is it really that great?

thatsmekid
10-24-2003, 06:31 PM
i have a hks vpc on my car, just installed, i'ved known alot better response on thorrtle, and i got a smoother power band on the dyno...it drives like a HONDA now... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif lol

Fred_Allen_Burge
10-24-2003, 08:31 PM
I've seen a local 1G eclipse run high 9's with only the VPC for fuel management, atleast he said that's all it had for fuel control.

allen

phase2
10-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Main purpose of VPC was to convert (get rid of) MAS into speed density type by putting in a map sensor and temperature sensor. The good thing out of this setup is to get rid of the MAF, which for high HP application we know how finickey [sp] MAF can become. VPC's are available in different level of 'chip set' base tuning from HKS Japan, (i.e 550cc, 740cc, etc. etc. example) one should combine the VPC with GCC (Graphic Controller) to fine tune the fuel map as VPC can only do so much by itself by bumping the entire fuel pump from the ECU. Or one can use SAFC in replace of the GCC for use with VPC. Then there's always the argument of whether to wire the SAFC before the VPC or after the VPC, I would tend to prefer the latter.

For everyday street driven cars, and still wants good MPG I recommend keeping the MAF setup as VPC 'try' to be a map based system (when it's not) and at times driveability can be alittle weird which can be affected by altitude and temperature change.

thatsmekid
10-25-2003, 01:21 PM
i left my s-afc wired at the ecu clip, and just plugged the vpc right in...havent had anything go wrong with drivablity, just got back from the dyno, and had the afc tuned to a 12 fuel ratio, wasn sure how to tune the vpc cuz no manual to know how it works, but the car runs strong at .6bar of boost at 205whp, i'm happy for a everyday driven car....but more hps will come when i get these damn injectors in

daniel_spl
10-25-2003, 01:37 PM
full standalone...replace with GM 3 bar MAP...never worry again.

the reasoning for this is : eventually you will need to fully tune your car, messing around with ROM Flashes etc., is not very wise in the long run, standalone & dyno time to perfect things is ALWAYS the way to go.

you'll be happy you did it the right way the first time down the road.

phase2
10-26-2003, 01:52 AM
i left my s-afc wired at the ecu clip, and just plugged the vpc right in...havent had anything go wrong with drivablity, just got back from the dyno, and had the afc tuned to a 12 fuel ratio, wasn sure how to tune the vpc cuz no manual to know how it works, but the car runs strong at .6bar of boost at 205whp, i'm happy for a everyday driven car....but more hps will come when i get these damn injectors in

Okay, if you already have SAFC wired in, leave the 'gain' setting on the VPC at 0, don't even bother with that knob just tune via SAFC adjustments. As for idle, Response?, and this 3rd knob I don't recall, you can play with those but basically you can leave all those knob at '0' 12'o clock position, basically you are just using VPC to get rid of your MAF, and fine tune the fuel curve using SAFC.

DRAG_LIMITED
10-26-2003, 04:40 PM
full standalone...replace with GM 3 bar MAP...never worry again.

the reasoning for this is : eventually you will need to fully tune your car, messing around with ROM Flashes etc., is not very wise in the long run, standalone & dyno time to perfect things is ALWAYS the way to go.

you'll be happy you did it the right way the first time down the road.

I agree but at the same time I feel that I am not going to need such tunning with my low set goals of 300 crank hp? I think an ecu re-flash would be great in my case and very cost effective.