PDA

View Full Version : Clutch break in period

shoes59
10-25-2003, 11:52 AM
I know you should put 500 miles on a new clutch before hammering it but is the general rule of thumb to keep it off boost during those 500 miles? I was driving around town today and decided to dip into boost and it felt as though the clutch was slipping a bit. Is this common for a newly installed clutch? Do you think I did any harm by allowing this to happen a couple times?

nrcooled
10-25-2003, 12:00 PM
I had a bit of a problem when I first installed my clutch during the break-in period. It really did feel like the old slipping 3 puck was back in.

After about 600-700mi of being gentle it started to grab harder and eventually it felt like it was grabbing to it's full potential. give it some time and it should come around.

If not you may have to pull the tranny to make sure everything is bolted in propperly and to ensure your rear main seal isn't leaking (most likely not though)

LouEgeee
10-25-2003, 12:03 PM
the idea of "breaking in" is to slowly break something in to the point where it can handle the abuse because it is "used" to it. You probably glazed the damn thing. Here letme put it in terms you may understand: the girl your about to have sex with is a virgin, do you... ahh never mind, you wouldn't understand.

insurgent
10-25-2003, 01:01 PM
you perv

shane_B
12-07-2003, 12:22 PM
I have a spec stage III and the clutch is instantly grippy. The car is hard to drive slow. I dont get full throttle persay but easy takeoffs are a little hard to do b/c most of the throttle seems to be at the top of the pedal. I dont dump it but I feel that I might be a little hard on it. But then again the power rating for the clutch is much higher than I currently have so maybe its not hurting it much. I have over 300 miles break-in time now and it still engages smoothly and isnt slipping. Is there a way to know if one has glazed over the clutch?

shoes59
12-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Shortly after posting I discovered my free play wasn't adjusted properly and that's the reason my clutch was slipping.