PDA

View Full Version : Car Detailing and Scratch Removal

**DONOTDELETE**
09-18-2001, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,
My car was harrassed and violated at a local supermarket and now I have scratches on my driver side door. I was just wondering if theres places that do light scratch removal.

The scratches aren't to the metal, just a long white line (my 98 S14 is Dark Green).

People tell me that I can buff it out, but im not the best when it gomes down to autobody work. So Im guessing theres places that does this stuff. Any Idea how much they charge?

-LL240

ZENKI_KONG
09-18-2001, 02:48 PM
hey, i work at a detail shop, and most of the time we handle a situation like that by doing a light compound buffing to "fill" the scratch, then wax it to seal it, basically like a normal compound "peeling the dead skin" type of situation. u should be able to go to any detail shop and ask them to have a look and give u their assesment, cause not being able to actually see it, i can't gauge the severity of the scratch. the way i described worked for my car though, may work for yours 2.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-18-2001, 03:47 PM
NC_S14,

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what the charge rates were? I know its a little hard to give unless you actually inspect the scratch, but Im just curious as to how much im looking at to spend.

Heres a little more detail about my scratch. Its about 2-3 inches long. No bare metal showing. very thin scratch, more like a scuff.

I dont want to get ripped off at my local shops, how long would you estimate this job to take?

Any replies would be awesome.

-LL240

Ant240
09-18-2001, 05:39 PM
Does your car look pretty new? Cause if not, the cured area would look good and stand out from the rest of the car. If you want, just get a whole car detail, we charge ~$150 for outside detail at my job. If just for the scratch, that small is around $20 (sometimes we do it for free). But that's us, others will charge differently. And it shouldn't take longer than 15-20 minutes, you can even wait for it.

Mind you, that scratch will still show, especially with a dark car, but not vividly, only way is to get it touched up with paint to make it completely gone.

Good luck.

ZENKI_KONG
09-18-2001, 06:41 PM
yea, that is about what anthony is sayin, scratch itself maybe 20 to 25 bucks, jus having the whole car done over to have it all evenly compounded and waxed and everything while your there, at my job we charge like 70 for that with compounding wax, scratch removal/fading, and rim steam cleaning, pretty good deals in da south, lol. anyway, jus call some of your local car washes/detail shops, they should be able to help out on what u'd have to pay in your area