PDA

View Full Version : Tokico Blue vs. KYB AGX Shocks



silsilvia
09-18-2001, 08:53 PM
What is the opinion out there between these two shocks based on experience for the 89-94 240sx?

Which ones work best?

09-18-2001, 10:10 PM
I have no experience with the Tokico's, but I have AGX's and I like them a lot. They've got plenty of damping even for fairly stiff springs -- I run Suspension Techniques springs (~200 lb/in front, ~150 lb/in rear) and I drive around with the shocks set on 1 front and rear -- the ride is taut, no bouncing at all. Ride quality with this setup isn't bad at all...although if you turn the shocks up to full stiff (something I'm not about to do with the crappy roads here in NJ), it'll rattle your fillings out.

If you're planning on getting lowering springs, I'd get the AGX's. From what I hear, the Tokico's are only slightly stiffer than stock, so the AGX's would be more suitable for a wider variety of springs. Plus, you get the adjustability, for whatever that's worth to you (I almost never adjust mine).

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silsilvia:
What is the opinion out there between these two shocks based on experience for the 89-94 240sx?

Which ones work best?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
09-19-2001, 02:59 AM
In the old days, list members were swearing by the Tokico blues. Then shortly after, the AGX adjustables came out.. and people moved over to that. Is it the performance or the adjustability, I dunno..

I can tell you that I've been in both, and I still cant decide.. I think its preference.

However, I am one of the few members who has the Tokico shocks AND -1" lowering springs, and I am extremely happy with them after 3+ years of owning them. With the ST sway bars and F/R STB's, the car is very stiff but still very controllable.

- Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
If you're planning on getting lowering springs, I'd get the AGX's. From what I hear, the Tokico's are only slightly stiffer than stock, so the AGX's would be more suitable for a wider variety of springs. Plus, you get the adjustability, for whatever that's worth to you (I almost never adjust mine).

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mav1178
09-19-2001, 07:40 AM
I've had both.

The Tokico blues worked well, or so I thought. When I got the AGX's it was a world of difference... a lot more dampening control, better valving IMO.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
09-19-2001, 08:06 AM
Alex, you had Eibach springs, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:
I've had both.

The Tokico blues worked well, or so I thought. When I got the AGX's it was a world of difference... a lot more dampening control, better valving IMO.

-alex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mav1178
09-19-2001, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old_s13:
Alex, you had Eibach springs, right?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, first RS*R DOWN springs, then my 5Zigen springs.

-alex

silsilvia
09-19-2001, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know a place that gives a good deal on KYB AGX shocks for the S13? The best deal I have come across so far is $200 plus tax.

Does anyone else have more input on this subject? KYB AGX vs Tokico blues.

I am planning to use H&R 1.3 with either the KYG's or the Tokico's.

Thanks

SRedSileighty
09-19-2001, 01:28 PM
Best place I found is JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=160632&BQ=sc . They have it for $100 each so that's $400 for all four. Civic's only cost $328. You could try looking for a group buy if money is a big concern.

09-19-2001, 01:41 PM
There's no way you can get AGX's for $200. MAKE SURE that they're not KYB GR-2's, the non-adjustable KYB shocks.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silsilvia:
Does anyone know a place that gives a good deal on KYB AGX shocks for the S13? The best deal I have come across so far is $200 plus tax.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

silsilvia
09-19-2001, 02:46 PM
That was my mistake $200 for H&R's. Does anyone have a place that offers good prices for either the KYB AGX and the H&R?