PDA

View Full Version : calipers popping?

revlis240
11-10-2003, 01:59 AM
whats up guys,
little bit of an annoying problem that will prolly go away if i rebuild the calipers, but i just rebuilt em like 20k ago and dont wanna do it again unless i have to. my brakes pop, when i am at a standstill, ill press on the brake pedal, and i can feel and hear a popping/clicking sound coming from the calipers. brakes feel fine, other than the warped rotors, but where is this popping sound coming from? its not like a popcorn pop, its like a click/pop as the pads move. any thoughts?

woops edit: Z32 26mm calipers w/ nissan pads & shims
-Abe

Thx247
11-10-2003, 05:49 AM
check for knockback?

hurleyboi514
11-10-2003, 09:19 AM
mine do that too, my friend thinks i warped the calipars, but in reality, i have no idea whats wrong. ill get it figured out soon though.

revlis240
11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
what be this knockback u speak of and how to check/fix?

-Abe

Thx247
11-10-2003, 05:50 PM
I should have thought this through more, but unless the brake pedal is soft or "moving" sometimes its probably not knockback.

Knock back is when the pads are not right on the rotor like they should be. In a perfect world when you touch the brake pedal whatever amount the pedal moves, the brake pads drag on the rotor. But because there is alot of seperate pieces in a brake system little gaps occur between the various components. The more gaps, the more you need to press the brake pedal to pickup the slack in the system. Knockback is when the pad is not sitting on the rotor like it should be. As the car goes through turns the rotor literally moves the pad back against the piston, pushing the piston back into the caliper. The next time you hit the brakes you have to move the pistons way further than the master cylinder is capable of doing. Pumping the brakes fixes this temporarily. I thought it could be knockback because the pads would suddenly move and make a "click" as they hit the rotors when you brake.

But it could be some other things. Pads are not wearing right (check for taper on the pads) Pads are sticking to the caliper (clean caliper pad guides). Anything abnormal at this point. Could even be wheel bearings with some play. Do all the pads do it? Can you do it every time, or do you have to drive the car forward a bit then stop and click the pads?

RDM_II
11-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Mine do it too, well one does. On mine it's one of the pistons is sticking, needs a rebuild. I've had the rebuild kit in the driver door for 3 months. Jus lazy.

uiuc240
11-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Interesting. I thought for the longest time I was the only one with "poppy" calipers. Maybe I should just rebuild them again. I want to get rid of the drilled rotors anyway...maybe I'll do all of that at once. Maybe even a Z MC too http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
Eric

imstuner
11-11-2003, 02:53 PM
I have that same sound, but i think it's the atfer market pads i'm using. I'm going to use the oem nissan pad and see if the noise goes away, the atfer market pad seem a little looose in there and i'm sure i have the right pads for my calpiers. Z32-26mm

revlis240
11-11-2003, 04:41 PM
meh im using the stock nissan everything and i get the noise do i dunno if thats our problem (the pads)

-Abe

jmcn
11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
I have 30mm Z32s, rebuilt from HT, Axxis MM pads, and I get a similar sound. The sound on my car happens at low speeds when I use the brakes, like when you're transitioning from 1st to reverse.

Some have diagnosed the clicking as the spring(s) settling, but the sound never occured until I got the Z32s installed. It's a pretty loud clicking, though the brake feel doesn't seem to be effected.

blk180sx
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
I have had the same problem even since I put the z32 calipers on my car. Its been like 3+ years now with no breaking problems at all. It would just be cool to get rid of that noise.

uiuc240
11-12-2003, 09:20 PM
This is weird. I can't imagine why this would be happening on so many of our cars. My calipers did it within a few months of a fresh rebuild and have been worse ever since.

I'm wondering if there's a part on the Z that we don't have or don't know about that isolates the noise or something. Anybody have any ideas?

Eric