PDA

View Full Version : FX-35 vs. Pacifica? Need Advice

Baby_G
11-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Probably not what you expected in this thread...just thought I'd get opinions from FX owners.

I'm thinking of buying a family car. Wife wants the dreaded minivan (Sienna). I looked at the FX, but it is really out of my price range and a tad too small for our needs so I started considering the Pacifica.

What do you all think of it? I personally love the look of it. Test drove one and it felt solid and reasonably car-like. With current rebates I can get a base one (with a decent range of standard features) for around $24,000. But I am scared to death of buying a first year Chrysler Product (well really any Chrysler Product).

Has anyone here heard anything about its reliability or driven one so that you can offer a comparision to an FX. Remember, the alternative for me may well be an 04 Sienna (I won't be driving it, but it I will be linked to it through marriage). Or would you rather have a Toyota minivan than dare own a Chrysler. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

P.S. I know I should probably post this somewhere else, but I have grown to have a great deal of respect for infiniti owners, particularly members of this forum, and I figured anyone smart enough to buy an FX should be able to offer me some sound advice.

PeteFX
11-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Pacifica and FX should not even be mentioned in the same sentence!.....For one, the Pacifica is nothing more than a enlarged station-wagon. The emphasis is on people-hauling and utility, not performance. The FX is all about performance, style and gadgets.......utility is secondary. No comparison as far as quality and repair history.....sorry, the Japanese still have the edge here. Bottom-line, if you want a traditional "family car"....meaning something with a lot of room, comfort, and convenience, look elsewhere....the FX is a whole different car: it's a "driver's car" with a style like no other vehicle out there. Infiniti does not make boring cars.

Baby_G
11-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm realling looking for a people mover/utility vehicle with style. I want a minivan that doesn't resemble a mini-van. I still say I love the looks of the Pacifica though. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RSREXX1
11-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Acura MDX used if necessary to lower your cost.This is a no brainer. My wife has MDX and I the FX35,sport tech awd

PeteFX
11-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Go with your (and your family's) priorities instead of what you read about or what others say. If you really like the Pacifica, go for it. Remember to thoroughly test-drive every vehicle in your consideration and know what you're getting into when you sign on the dotted line.

bmwslayer
11-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Do not get the pacifica!!!!!!!!! I just traded in my Chrysler 300M and would never buy another. Buy the Sienna if you get tired of it you can get out of it without taking a killing. I bought a Honda oddysey my wife and I decided we weren't minivan people and sold it 4 months later for what we paid for it (you will never do that in a chrysler) and got the FX. Once I had enough cash to eat away the ton of negative equity I had in the 300M we traded it in on our "family" car the Pilot. I would stay away from the chrysler.

EffEcks
11-29-2003, 01:36 AM
If family/comfort/utility were more of an issue I probably would've bought an RX330 or an MDX. No way a Chrysler. They may be better than they were, but they're not catching up.

kenny_crudup
11-29-2003, 01:41 AM
I looked at the FX, but it is really out of my price range and a tad too small for our needs so I started considering the Pacifica.

Do what I did to find FreshAlloy.com; Google on "Chrysler Pacifica", perhaps there's a message board for MOPARs?

Irie_eyes
11-29-2003, 01:48 AM
I would consider resale value...
Or get that Hemi wagon when it comes out.

Jttsaz
11-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Have you checked out the Nissan Quest lately? They are redesigned and have one of the coolest instrument panels I have ever seen...check out the transmission shifter! On the whole It still looks like a minivan but they are cool as hell. Plus it's a Nissan...the Pacifica's are bad either though...

esemes
11-29-2003, 10:35 AM
the PAC may look good (outside) but you do know that Chrysler has a less-than satisfactory build on alot of their models....

i second (or third, or fourth) a look over at the mdx(opt. mini row of seats in the back)

if not the mdx, get the sienna..... it smokes the competitions' vans (even makes the 04 odessy, aka benchmark for vans, look dated). About the new niss. quest, well, it is neat to look at (in and out) but the fit-n-finish of the hands-on pieces of this model are SUB-PAR at best...same goes with the new armada (great truck, but the knobs and buttontry (is that a word) are HORRIBLE.,......

this is the view of a niss fan, and an owner of the fx....

CL2FX
11-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Toyota makes excellant vehicles, very reliable and safe; the same goes for Honda. If you want utility don't get the FX.

Economist
11-29-2003, 11:35 AM
I had a Sienna before the FX45 and there are still times when I miss it -- it was a well-built vehicle and a pleasure to drive. My son had the Chrysler minivan (at the same time I had the Sienna) and he repaired it all the time -- in fact, there are NO comparisons between the two (Sienna and Chrysler) that were favorable to the latter over the 100K life of the 2 vehicles. Go with the Sienna -- save the FX for later.

dmako
11-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Second the Sienna.

We have a Sienna and a Murano.

NewOrlnsDukie
11-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Chrysler -- awful build quality w/ worse customer service.

It pains me to choose a minivan, but Sienna all the way. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif

daSchtick
11-29-2003, 03:40 PM
I hate to side with your wife, but I would go with the Sienna over the Pacifica. The Pacifica has too many strikes against it:

- First year model
- Chrysler predicated reliabilty (or lack there of)
- Chrysler depreciation (maybe buy one used in a year or so?)
- Somewhat underpowered for it's size

It pains me to put down the domestics, because I'd really like to buy an American car again someday, but I find it really hard to recommend one. I agree with several other posters - look for a nice pre-owned MDX. The pre-owned pricing has come down a lot, plus you get SUV styling with FWD minivan practicality.

Umi_R98
11-29-2003, 04:21 PM
did you hit the dealships with uR wife and test drive the cars? If you haven't yet do so! Ever considered a Murano? Seats 5 has more space than FX, comes with CVT. If its uR wife's car, let her decide hehe.

ThanhPhu
11-29-2003, 04:30 PM
How about honda pilot? It can seat 7

VK45_FX
11-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Sienna over the pacifica http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif or a Quest as someone mentioned...the instrument panel is cool

crikey
11-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Probably not what you expected in this thread...just thought I'd get opinions from FX owners.

I'm thinking of buying a family car. Wife wants the dreaded minivan (Sienna).

If the primary driver will be your wife, you may be better off conceding to her and get the Sienna as it is the safest minivan in the market right now. It won't be cheap though as they are flying out of dealerships. The Quest is an OK alternative also but I am not too fond of the gauges being in the center of the IP.

The Pacifica does not look too bad and seems to be safe, but I'm quite skeptical of Chrysler products.

Baby_G
11-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Wow...thanks for all the input!

Yeah I kinda have thrown the whole Pacifica idea out the window. Read up on some bulletin boards about problems and TSBs out for them and it scared me. There's a reason they are selling close to invoice and offering a $3000 rebate on them.

So what's left, let's see:

Toyota Sienna: Doesn't look horrible.... safe, reliable. I
can get a FWD base model for under $23k which is my target.

Nissan Murano: Wife wants the third row seating and extra cargo space...so it's out.

Nissan Quest: Can't get over that sloping rear end...looks dumpy to me.

Acura MDX: Base invoice on an '04 with no options is $32,792 with no incentives. In order to get it for under $23K I'd have to find a base model and it'd have to be a 2001 with 80K+ miles on it. I think I'd rather get a new Sienna.

Lexus RX series: Ditto the MDX

Honda Pilot: Would have to be a base model (no options) 2003 with at least 30K-40K miles on it and a private party sale. Hmmm...could be a potential. Hate to deal with someone elses problems though.

Toyota Highlander: Hmmmm no one mentioned this one. Could get a base model 4 cyl (160 HP 165 Torque) FWD with 3rd seat option for the same as the Sienna (under $23K). But that seems pretty underpowered. Don't ya think?

So it looks like a base model 04 Sienna or Highlander or maybe a used Honda Pilot (nahhh). Any opinions?

IssaFX
11-30-2003, 09:52 PM
The Sienna is the Camry of Vans. I rented one with 150miles on the odo for a weekend to take my g/f's nephew and 2 nieces to the San Diego zoo along with their mother and I was impressed. I was doing 90mph most of the way while listening to MP3's through my laptop connected to the audio system and they didn't suspect a thing other than the accelerated scenery. It seems to be the best fit for what you are looking for and the 04 has a modernized design.

crikey
12-01-2003, 09:14 AM
So it looks like a base model 04 Sienna or Highlander or maybe a used Honda Pilot (nahhh). Any opinions?

If getting a Sienna CE, please make sure that you get package 3 that includes all the safety features.

Hemants
12-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Quite honestly if you need the space then get the new Sienna with AWD.

The only people who dread minivans are men who have a small "package". If a minivan best suits your needs then just get one.

I think the first thing you need to narrow down is your passenger and cargo capacity requirements because you are really looking at very different vehicles.

crikey
12-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Quite honestly if you need the space then get the new Sienna with AWD.

The Sienna with AWD may put the price over budget, though since it's only available with the XLE and LE and might be optioned out.

kenny_crudup
12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
The only people who dread minivans are men who have a small "package".

<snort>

I hate minivans, but I'll be more than happy to show anyone who asks my "package"; it's quite nice, I've been told!

CL2FX
12-01-2003, 03:39 PM
I dont see 23k cutting it for any Model/Trim Sienna especially with the new 04's getting such rave reviews from the car pros. If you can squeeze a couple more bucks you will have better luck in your quest. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G35cFan
12-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Two words ....... Celine Dion .......

ujmot
12-01-2003, 10:19 PM
*BARF*

Baby_G
12-02-2003, 11:01 AM

Huh?

Anyway, I don't think I can afford the AWD. At best it will have to be the CE with package #3 or a base LE (the scummy toyota salesman told me they don't make the LE in a base model anymore, but I don't trust him).

Do you all think that safety equipment (front side airbags, front, rear and third row curtain airbags, stability control, traction control, brake assist, rear disc brakes) really make a difference for a very sedate driving individual?

I mean have we proven that side airbags are actually safer or do they cause injuries themselves (POP I can't hear anymore...snap there goes my neck). And does traction control and stability control really help when you're not drivin to the limits or do they just help you to get going when you're stuck in snow. I can see how they may help if you are cornering hard or are in an emergency situation, but if you start to slide because of ice, will they really make a difference?

Thanks for your valuable opinions!

ujmot
12-02-2003, 11:29 AM

Huh?

Never saw those awful Chrysler commercials with Celine Dion singing her crappy song in a Pacifica?

copperstreak
12-02-2003, 01:35 PM
I got it (Celine Dion) Hilarious! That campaign was as gimmicky as the vehicle (I drove one when camparing the MO, could not get past all that fake wood trim)

I don't understand how this got started comparing the FX if your budget is 23K??
At that budget I would recommend an 03' Pilot. It is not a mini-van, it has ample seating, excellent resale and Honda reliability. Good luck!

crikey
12-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Anyway, I don't think I can afford the AWD. At best it will have to be the CE with package #3 or a base LE (the scummy toyota salesman told me they don't make the LE in a base model anymore, but I don't trust him).

Do you all think that safety equipment (front side airbags, front, rear and third row curtain airbags, stability control, traction control, brake assist, rear disc brakes) really make a difference for a very sedate driving individual?

I mean have we proven that side airbags are actually safer or do they cause injuries themselves (POP I can't hear anymore...snap there goes my neck). And does traction control and stability control really help when you're not drivin to the limits or do they just help you to get going when you're stuck in snow. I can see how they may help if you are cornering hard or are in an emergency situation, but if you start to slide because of ice, will they really make a difference?

Thanks for your valuable opinions!

For me, anyway, all available safety features are worth the money. Side-curtains have been proven to minimize injuries in a side-impact collision, see NHTSA side impact crash tests. I can live without the more expensive sound system or the power side doors, even the cruise control. But, I will not compromise on safety specially when the vehicle will most likely be used by my family all the time.

The FX was a perfect choice for me because it had all the safety features without sacrificing performance. But if I had to get a minivan or other means of family transport, it would have to have all the safety features that I can get. But that's just me.