PDA

View Full Version : SAT equipment / install overview

FXLENT
12-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Can someone give me a quick overview on what it takes to install XM SAT equipment in the FX35? I know it is prewired. What equipment is needed, where does it get installed in the vehicle and how/where does the antenna get installed? Is there wiring from the equipment to the exterior of the vehicle?

I am Obviously a novice concerning SAT radio.

I appreciate it.

KenDude
12-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Could have sworn that I posted pictures of my Sirius installation in the past. It was real easy to do, just time consuming, a couple of hours to take everything apart, run the antenna wiring, hook in the receiver, and put everything back together again. I chose to place the antenna on the roof of the car in the middle of the back hatch, not on the hatch itself (plastic) but on the roof (metal) and we've never had any problems with it since I did the install oh what 4-5 months ago?

We are also pleased with Sirius, although disappointed not to find a dedicated Holiday Music channel during a long drive last week over the Thanksgiving holiday... you'd think that someone in the programming dept. would be smart enough to do that, Sat music on Directv and Dish do that this time of year...

ujmot
12-01-2003, 02:34 PM
I think on the Grubbs parts site, there's an installation guide in pdf form.

dfw_danny
12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I think on the Grubbs parts site, there's an installation guide in pdf form.

You are correct. Go the SAT Page of www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com (http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com) amd down the page you will find a link for FX and G35 install instructions.

Chuckie
12-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Yep, just installed my Sirius kit from Grubbs on Friday. I would have appreciated a hard copy of the install instructions to come with the kit, but it was easy to find and follow.

The most difficult part of the install for me was the proper way to install the antenna. I decided to center it on the rear of the car and run the wiring between the hatch and the roof. However, it was hard to figure out how to keep the 90-degree bend from getting caught in the weatherstripping when closing the antenna. I used a spare piece of the clear tape and that seemed to fix the problem.

Chuck

AGray34
12-01-2003, 03:56 PM
I just looked over the pdf file that is on the web site...Now, when we plug in the XM or Sirius Tuner...isn't it sorta just like a plug and play thing, besides having to route the antenna cable and mount it up on the roof. Or do you have to do what the pdf file says and like run ground wires and so on...

dfw_danny
12-01-2003, 03:59 PM
I just looked over the pdf file that is on the web site...Now, when we plug in the XM or Sirius Tuner...isn't it sorta just like a plug and play thing, besides having to route the antenna cable and mount it up on the roof. Or do you have to do what the pdf file says and like run ground wires and so on...

Plug and play is correct. If you need or want some help on the install call us and I will get a technician to go over it on the phone with you. It is an easy install.

Chuckie
12-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Definitely a plug and play install. There are no splicing of wires, and all electrical connections plug into pre-existing harnesses. I also think it's great that the installation is only in the rear part of the car, meaning that there isn't many panels that need to be removed or wires that need to be run.

All in all, it took me about an hour and a half to do it myself.

FXLENT
12-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Other than more channels and less/no commercials, what is different in the salellite signal versus the regular radio signal? Is SAT digital and the radio something else? Whats the attraction over radio?

dfw_danny
12-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Other than more channels and less/no commercials, what is different in the salellite signal versus the regular radio signal? Is SAT digital and the radio something else? Whats the attraction over radio?

SAT is digital

kenny_crudup
12-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Other than more channels and less/no commercials

Yeah!

I'm actually lucky here in L.A.- there's 6 stations I listen to (well, 7- but I only listen to the talk station Leykis is on at night if I get out of the office that early) but between their endless commercials, plus the fact I swear they seem to time their ads so they're all on concurrently, I'm really looking forward to getting a Sat kit next year.

However, after using the defacto "Forum Search Resource Kit", I've been finding out things about the two services that are somewhat disappointing- like how X/M has commercials, and I was surprised none of the services just mirror the excellent "Music Choice" channels I get on DirectTV/Digital Cable at home- which is what I would expect from sat radio.

Chuckie
12-01-2003, 04:28 PM
I like the SAT radio for the following reasons:

1) TONS of stations, all of them crystal clear and without static. You can truly pick from a lot of different musical genres depending on your mood.
2) You get the same stations out in BFE when you're on a road trip with no loss in signal quality.
3) No (or much less) commercials.
4) No censorship on the music at all, meaning they are played as intended by the artist complete with all of the "bad words."

FXLENT
12-01-2003, 06:01 PM
4)That may be a reason not to get it!

Seriously, thanks for the feedback. For those of you who have had it installed, any comments on the appearance of the antenna or leaking as a result of the antenna cable?

pjo1966
12-01-2003, 06:54 PM
I love the no censorship! I've been listening to these songs on KROQ in Los Angeles and have never heard them uncensored. I'm still surprised when I hear an uncensored song. It's a very good thing (for me).

I'm with Kenny. I wish it was more like Music Choice on DirecTV, with no DJ's at all. There is a way of getting DirecTV for your car, but the dish is large and unsightly. it would be an offense to good style to install it on an FX.

Sirius was a good compromise. The sound quality is amazing and they play songs I want to hear.

FXLENT
12-01-2003, 07:42 PM
For those of you who installed the SAT antenna in center just above the hactch, how does the cable not get pinched when the hatch is closed? How does it then not leak where the cable extends out from the hatch?

Also, where does the receiver exactly get installed?