PDA

View Full Version : How do i take off air box thing?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-28-2001, 09:34 AM
I heard that i get a better sounds and stuff if i take off the hose thats feeding the airbox, how would i go along doing this?
and what will i get outta it and what problems will this cause?

taku
09-28-2001, 09:36 AM
if you just want better sound I wouldn't suggest you take the airbox off. It houses the air filter... dirt and dust sucked into your engine usually aren't a good thing http://www.freshalloy.com/
but then again i thought about doing it too to suffice until i have time to put the motor in http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
09-28-2001, 10:04 AM
haha whole airbox....no thanx
im asking about the hose that gives air to the airbox

taku
09-28-2001, 10:13 AM
i had a blonde moment... ok ok several moments http://www.freshalloy.com/ it's friday!

anyways will removing that even do anything?
maybe you mean the air silencer? Sure it probably has several names.. but you'll only hear the diff. when you get on it.

[This message has been edited by taku (edited 09-28-2001).]

StealthmodeS14
09-28-2001, 10:21 AM
I think he means the resonator which is located inside the drivers' side wheel well. It's pretty simple...just turn the wheel completely towards the left and jack up the car. This will give complete access to a small black plastic box..I believe it's heldon by either two or four bolts...un-bolt them and take it off....

orion
09-28-2001, 10:26 AM
There are a couple pieces you can remove to get a little better airflow ans definetly better sound...

(This is for an S14...) Look at the airbox...see the two openings in it? Both have plastic elbows that go down into the space below the fender, and one also goes up to the tube that feeds the airbox from on top of the radiator support. You can remove the "snorkel", the elbows, and even the resonator box below in the fender area. That will give a much better growl, especially when combined with an K&N filter. You could even go as far as doing the swiss-cheese airbox bottom trick...

But I would suggest saving up and buying the whole Injen system...with or without the cold air extension, it's much louder still and more HP...

Later - Brian

lenso
09-30-2001, 09:30 AM
he means the Y-pipe. Its the pipe that leads air into the airbox. To take it off you have to unscrew a few things. then there should be two rubber things that you need to yank out. I think theres a indepth article on 240sx.org check there first.

import silvia
09-30-2001, 11:05 PM
Just my $.02 but rather than *remove* the resonator, I took my trusty dremel out and cut/melted the resonator to make it into a "CAI". I cut it at an angle to give it a "scoop" effect. Anyways it absolutly sounds better and my ass based dyno is sure it was good for..... well at least it didn't slow the car down any.

jookybanana
09-30-2001, 11:11 PM
if you take out the tube that connetcs the air box to the resonator, you will get a deeper roar, but don't take out the air box
just the tube thingy that goes down to the resonator box, that just there to make things quiet, and when you take it off, it sounds like you got an new intake system