PDA

View Full Version : replacing rear side glass (fastback)

AKADriver
12-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Someone broke my window. Great. I don't have glass coverage on this car so I'm forced to go cheap.

I got a used rear side glass - wonderful, you say - but it has two problems.

One, the old adhesive is still stuck to it and won't come off.

Two, the outside rubber trim is gone.

I think I should be able to get the rubber trim off the shattered window, but if I can't, is there a source for this? The S13 parts fiche does NOT list it separately from the glass, only as part of the glass. The seal kit they list is the adhesive material.

I'm not paying $500+ for a new glass from Nissan for a $2000 car.

I'm seeing that most used 180SX side windows come like mine, so I'm hoping someone has some experience.

MarvynDT
12-09-2003, 07:29 PM
I believe that the rubber trim is sold as a part of the window and is not available separately.

AKADriver
12-09-2003, 07:32 PM
I know. I said that. I'm looking at page 5-K-4 of the parts fiche right now.

I'm wondering if there's an aftermarket source, or if I'm going to have to play with broken glass in the cold to get my old one off...

RDM_II
12-09-2003, 08:20 PM
The trim is not a separate piece. 99% of people who remove the glass either damage or cut the trim, as it VERY hard to remove it all intact. If you have just the glass, you're hosed, simple. You *might* can try and get yours off in one piece, but I highly doubt you'll be able to, and if so you've still got adhesive to deal with. Call a glass company and see what they charge for removal, if it's not bad I've got a window still in the sheetmetal I'll sell you, and also see if they make aftermarket glass. If they do, pull your trim and cut out all the old adhesive, and see if they'll deal with you on labor. Good luck.

pr240sx
12-10-2003, 07:25 AM
What rubber trim are you talking about, the exterior mouldings?
These are available at Courtessy Nissan, not cheap though, cheaper than a new rear hatch glass.
I did this (actually a glass shop) recently so let me know if you need any help

runyun972
12-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Go to a junkyard, they sell them here at local junkyards for $50 a pop.
try car-part.com, find a junkyard, and have them ship it to you if you can't find one locally
good luck

Hugh
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
The way to take it off is with a wire. You have get the wire between the window and the frame, and then work the wire back and forth to saw away at the seal. This is the only way I know how to remove the windows. It was DIFFICULT. If I were you, I would just take it to a glass shop and suck up the cost. Get some 180sx windows off ebay for cheaper than the brand new cost... and put both on. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's nice when the OEM stuff costs more than the cooler stuff.

cardriver
12-11-2003, 12:35 AM
try some stuff called goopoff or something like that. it works for all kinds of crap

SR240sx
12-11-2003, 01:37 AM
when I broke my glass I used windshield adhesive, comes in a string like form, just put 2 layers around the inside of the glass, it's held for a year so far.