PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Wheel

rextreme
10-03-2001, 10:21 PM
A while back, I accidentally dropped my CHRA and nicked one of the fins on the compressor wheel very very slightly. It has a minute bend in it. It boosted fine when I was running 7psi but now my turbo needs to be rebuilt (needed to be rebuilt before the nick). Do you guys think it will cause any problems? When I get it rebuilt, can the rebuilder compensate for the nick when they balance it? I don't feel like buying a new compressor wheel.

10-03-2001, 11:17 PM
My guess is it'll be ok...although balancing can't correct for unbalanced forces that the compressor wheel might experience during operation -- I'm guessing that they balance the wheels without the housings on?

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rextreme:
A while back, I accidentally dropped my CHRA and nicked one of the fins on the compressor wheel very very slightly. It has a minute bend in it. It boosted fine when I was running 7psi but now my turbo needs to be rebuilt (needed to be rebuilt before the nick). Do you guys think it will cause any problems? When I get it rebuilt, can the rebuilder compensate for the nick when they balance it? I don't feel like buying a new compressor wheel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rextreme
10-03-2001, 11:25 PM
Beats me... I have no idea what's involved in the balacing. I'm planning on sending my turbo to Majestic Turbo (www.majesticturbo.com) to get it rebuilt. I think they spin balance it and make sure it'll operate up to a certain rpm?

I don't know... I'll see what they have to say about it when I send it in. It did, however, boost fine when I ran it... There are no signs of wheel to housing contact; so I'm hoping everything will be alright. Winter is coming up. I need to boost!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
My guess is it'll be ok...although balancing can't correct for unbalanced forces that the compressor wheel might experience during operation -- I'm guessing that they balance the wheels without the housings on?

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by rextreme (edited 10-04-2001).]

'97 S14 SE Turbo
10-04-2001, 08:31 AM
Yes, they spin balance the rotating group outside of the housing. In the turbo's case, it's the whole CHRA.

As for the nick, they could ground that down so it have a smooth surface to reduce the likelyness that the ding could develop into a crack. Then they can rebalance the group to take into account the material that has been removed. (can you see that I deal with this kind of stuff daily?)