PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

**DONOTDELETE**
10-04-2001, 03:04 PM
I'm pulling out my engine and need to know if I need to support the transmission with a car jack. There doesn't seem to be a brace near the front of the tranny however there is one at the rear, though it doesnt seem like it could hold the weight.

Loges

97 S14
10-04-2001, 03:11 PM
Are you pulling the engine and transmission as 1 piece or are you breaking them apart? If your pulling them as 1 piece then all you have to do is unbolt the transmission jack and slip the driveshaft out of the end (drain the transmission first!) and let it sit at an angle. If your just dropping the transmission by itself the easiest way I've found to do it is to get under there and bench press it. You could use a floor jack, but make sure your careful and keep it steady... dont want the transmission falling on the ground hard.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-04-2001, 03:21 PM
Im leaving the tranny in the car. I just want to take out the engine. So from what you are telling me the tranny will not support itself without the engine?

Loges

240coupe92
10-04-2001, 11:15 PM
It all depends on how high your are jacking up the car. If it is too high a jack stand will not go that high. If it is lower you can use a jack stand. The transmission will not roll over and fall as the body around the tranny will hold it in place. As long as you put the jack at the front of the tranny.

I would think it would be much easier to just pull it all out as a unit though and then put it back in as a unit, as lining the engine up with the tranny when you reinstall it may be harder than it looks, as the transmission pinion needs to go into the flywheel...

Maybe pull it out as a unit and then disconnect it when it is out so you can work on the engine seperately, and then reconnect it to reinstall.

[This message has been edited by 240coupe92 (edited 10-05-2001).]