PDA

View Full Version : semi OT: SR20DET in Z32



**DONOTDELETE**
10-05-2001, 12:16 PM
At the last Tokyo Auto Salon a Japanese tuner put a SR20DET into a Z32. He cited the SR20DET offered better performance than the VG30DETT. The VG is a great engine but from a weight to power stand point the SR may be better (thoughts or opinions?). There is also a greater abundance of aftermarket parts for the SR (in Japan at least). What are everyone's thoughts on the subject. Has anyone seen or have pictures of this swap? How difficult would it be to do?

Thanks

SB

NOSTALGIC_HERO
10-05-2001, 12:24 PM
i've heard its a pain to work on zedders
maybe thats why they stuck an sr in!

SRFiveTen
10-05-2001, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Escaflowne:
i've heard its a pain to work on zedders
maybe thats why they stuck an sr in!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why didn't they drop in a ka-t?
'cos they couldn't find the parts,,,,?

haaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha!

**DONOTDELETE**
10-05-2001, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>why didn't they drop in a ka-t?
'cos they couldn't find the parts,,,,?

haaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I've seen this car and it's supposed to be real fast.

osofast240
10-05-2001, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nargaredama:
At the last Tokyo Auto Salon a Japanese tuner put a SR20DET into a Z32. He cited the SR20DET offered better performance than the VG30DETT. The VG is a great engine but from a weight to power stand point the SR may be better (thoughts or opinions?). There is also a greater abundance of aftermarket parts for the SR (in Japan at least). What are everyone's thoughts on the subject. Has anyone seen or have pictures of this swap? How difficult would it be to do?

Thanks

SB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im working on a vg30dett for full race this engine can push 1100 hp. the sr20 is more cost effective. it would take almost 50K to get the engine the way i want it.

check out my site http://members.blackplanet.com/osofast/

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2001, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nargaredama:
The VG is a great engine but from a weight to power stand point the SR may be better (thoughts or opinions?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SR is better from a weight standpoint. Usually the engine is the largest mass in a car. In a front-engined car, placement of this mass becomes critical. Not only does it affect front/rear weight balance, but also something called a polar moment. It simply how much resistance the car has to rotation (turning) based on mass location and distance from the "pivot" point (if this sounds rough, it is, I know very little about physics, someone else can smooth it out a little). The 300zx with the VG has a higher polar moment than the SR powered 300zx. The tiny SR almost fits completely behind the strut towers in the Z32. The sophisticated Nissan multilink suspension coupled with lighten load probably make one sweet handling car.

BTW, if this car is the one Iím thinking of, it runs 11's and has 538ps.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2001, 10:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White240sx:
The SR is better from a weight standpoint. Usually the engine is the largest mass in a car. In a front-engined car, placement of this mass becomes critical. Not only does it affect front/rear weight balance, but also something called a polar moment. It simply how much resistance the car has to rotation (turning) based on mass location and distance from the "pivot" point (if this sounds rough, it is, I know very little about physics, someone else can smooth it out a little). The 300zx with the VG has a higher polar moment than the SR powered 300zx. The tiny SR almost fits completely behind the strut towers in the Z32. The sophisticated Nissan multilink suspension coupled with lighten load probably make one sweet handling car.

BTW, if this car is the one Iím thinking of, it runs 11's and has 538ps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Aww yes this what I had in mind. The difference in mass of the VG compared to the SR is tremendous. I'll have to go to a salvage yard and measure a Z32 without the engine in it. I'm sure I could get a perfect 50/50 weight balance with a SR powered Z32. Do you have any picutres of the car you mentioned?

TIA

SB

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2001, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nargaredama:
Do you have any picutres of the car you mentioned?

TIA

SB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1691266&a=12983277&p=54928739&Sequence=0&res=high (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1691266&a=12983277&p=54928739&Sequence=0&res=high)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1691266&a=12983277&p=54928741&Sequence=0&res=high (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1691266&a=12983277&p=54928741&Sequence=0&res=high)

If they don't work I will email them to you.

Actually just copy the URL and paste it in a browser.

[This message has been edited by White240sx (edited 10-06-2001).]

KenFuji
10-07-2001, 01:20 AM
i've seen others in japan too.

sr20det in a jz supra
3sgte in also in a jz supra

all for the same reason posted above.
i would buy a sr20det z32 if it made 500+hp and had extra money lying around. who needs a 1000 car anyways http://www.freshalloy.com/
more is not always better i guess.