PDA

View Full Version : Z32 Rotor & Caliper size

10-06-2001, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97 S14:
26mm brakes warp easier and don't brake nearly as well...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree vehemently with this statement -- I've had my 26mm 300ZX brakes on for a few years now and have had ZERO warpage problems, and that includes the two open-track events the brakes have gone through.

I don't see how you can say they "don't brake nearly as well" -- have you ever tried them? The rotors are the exact same diameter, the pads are the same, the calipers have the same pistons, so the force exerted on the wheel will be the exact same with the 26mm or 30mm rotors. The ONLY difference is that the 26mm calipers will fade slightly earlier than the 30, since they have less mass. HOWEVER...I have never had my brakes fade on me. Not even once.

The problems you mention might be more common on a 3300+ lb 300ZX, but not on the much lighter 240.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
also they are hard to get parts for... like replacement or aftermarket rotors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is completely false. I had no trouble at all finding aftermarket rotors for my brakes.

Asad

10-06-2001, 03:11 PM
It's not the rotors that are the problem, it's the calipers. Since the calipers are a different design (they stick out further from the rotor face than the stock calipers), you can't just compare distances from the rotor face without taking the caliper thickness into account. Did that make any sense? http://www.freshalloy.com/

Stock rotors are 20mm thick btw

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BioSehnsucht:
On the other hand 26mm are easier to fit behind wheels. So if you already have wheels and don't plan to buy new ones, try to figure out if they will clear.. basicly I believe the stock ones are like 18mm or something so you'd need another 8 or 12mm of clearance.. so measure what clearance you have now and find out if you'd need spacers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by asad137 (edited 10-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by asad137 (edited 10-06-2001).]

SilviaS14
10-06-2001, 04:32 PM
I have no fitment problems with the 30mm on my S14 5-spoke.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-06-2001, 11:37 PM
Hi all,

Do carries both the 26mm and 30mm brake system upgrade for the S14.. which one came from what model? is one for a TT and one for N/A? or are the 30mm systems a stock Skyline system or something? please put up a list of what model of car come stock with what size brakes if possible.

thanks

97 S14
10-06-2001, 11:41 PM
Get 30mm. The 26mm brakes were only used on early 1990 NA 300ZX's... all 1990+ TT's and later 1990 - 1996 NA's use the exact same 30mm brakes. 26mm brakes warp easier and don't brake nearly as well... also they are hard to get parts for... like replacement or aftermarket rotors.

BioSehnsucht
10-06-2001, 11:48 PM
On the other hand 26mm are easier to fit behind wheels. So if you already have wheels and don't plan to buy new ones, try to figure out if they will clear.. basicly I believe the stock ones are like 18mm or something so you'd need another 8 or 12mm of clearance.. so measure what clearance you have now and find out if you'd need spacers.