PDA

View Full Version : Which HKS Twin Power Ignition is for the KA24DE

**DONOTDELETE**
10-07-2001, 12:23 PM
does anybody know?

10-07-2001, 01:33 PM
I think T.Y. knows, he's running a twin power...be patient.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
10-07-2001, 02:39 PM
Thanks..I'll wait for T.Y. to reply!

**DONOTDELETE**
10-07-2001, 10:03 PM
T.Y. Help

10-07-2001, 10:40 PM
Patience...it's the weekend -- a lot of people access Freshalloy from work.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C-West S14:
T.Y. Help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
10-07-2001, 11:04 PM
Is it the Distributor Type Twin Power? Which one?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-08-2001, 07:01 AM
Frankie says relax

'97 S14 SE Turbo
10-08-2001, 12:00 PM
hehehe, got to be patient...

Yes, it's the distributor type. You would need to contact either me or Mark West for wiring information once you get it. Mark followed my instructions to wire it up.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-08-2001, 08:11 PM
Anyone without a turbo running the twin power? Seems kinda steep for such a small ignition, when an MSD can be had for much less. Suggestions? Comments? Flames?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-08-2001, 11:21 PM
I would assume it is the Distributor Type ignition. KA's have a Distributor type ignition, so it seems that is the HKS twin power it would need. The SR has a distributor less ignition (DLI) and therefor should need the HKS DLI ignition.

Dennis

WeST
10-08-2001, 11:56 PM
You need the Distributor Type one. You can get it from the URL below. I ordered mine from there about 2 months ago and it works very well.

http://www.i-m-racing.com/gredtwinpowi.html

Mark West (CO)
http://www.zilvia.net

[This message has been edited by WeST (edited 10-08-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2001, 06:47 AM
Russ,

On an S14, it is probably just as expensive to get the MSD, considering the modifications that need to be made to the coil/distributor. Most people aren't comfortable doing that themselves.

On an S13...it is a tossup. I would rather the HKS...but we will see if I can afford it...and how bad I need it...when I get back up and running.

Oh, and RUSS, where are my control arms?

Dennis

'97 S14 SE Turbo
10-09-2001, 07:06 AM
The big deciding factor for me is the size of the unit. Space is at a premium in my engine bay, and I don't think I could've fitted something larger than the Twin Power.

omega
10-09-2001, 07:47 AM
I was looking at the prices of the MSD's and the HKS twin and the HKS (from the magazines I've priced them in) is considerably more expensive. Is the price really worth it if engine space isn't as critical. What I'm trying to ask:
Is the HKS better (or 200$ better) than the MSD unit?? I would think that the quality of the MSD would be high since they specialize in iginition components

'97 S14 SE Turbo
10-09-2001, 09:18 AM
It's up to you to decide which one is better. I didn't want to rebuild my distributor to accept an external coil just to get it to work with a MSD unit. I also don't want to take up the room with an aftermarket coil, and ignition unit. That's two separate units that takes up more space than a small HKS TwinPower unit. Also, the MSD blaster coil isn't worth it's cost. The only one that I've seen that's pretty powerful besides the TecII system is the Jacob unit that robthechef has. Unfortunately, it's a big unit and takes up quite a bit of space as well. And from watching Mike Lee (one of the Turbo KA pioneers) MSD unit being tossed aside because it doesn't do much good help push the point.

Another factor to consider. Japanese companies like HKS with it's good reputation, dares not to build a crappy product. If they could sell such a product at such cost, that means there is substantial R&D behind the unit, and that the market has deemed it usable, and have been buying enough units for HKS to continue to offer such product. The same reasoning I mention, lead me to buy the Do-Luck RXB that everyone wants now, but cannot buy due to initial lack of interest in the US market forcing the importer to not sell them anymore.

Besides, MKIV Supra guys have lots of luck with the Twin Power and lot of them swears by it.

Another reason. Wiring up the Twin Power is two lines. Doesn't effect the tach, doesn't cause other problems.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2001, 09:20 AM
The HKS twin power is only 2 wires? What do they go to?

Dennis

[This message has been edited by d240t (edited 10-09-2001).]

'97 S14 SE Turbo
10-09-2001, 10:06 AM
They go to the power and the signal lines of the ignitor coil. For the case of the S14 with it's internal coil, it also goes to the signal line and power line.

It basically takes the stock signal and amplifies it.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2001, 10:24 AM
That is what I would have figured...it basically just splices into the signal for the coil.

Pretty simple it seems...I would like to get one for my project...assuming it will be necessary...but I don't think the money will be there for awhile.

Dennis

**DONOTDELETE**
10-09-2001, 01:45 PM
TY, my Do-Luck rear crossbar is on the way. http://www.freshalloy.com/ As for the HKS, I know you said you got about 20 hp out of it, any other effects? Easier to start, etc.