PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards are f'ing evil

forsaken
01-24-2004, 07:24 PM
So I decided to add up all my credit card debts the other day... damn near fainted. Ive racked up over $5500 in CC debt in the last half year http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tear.gif A lot of car related... Since that day I've put all them away and am pretty much gonna try to pay them all of before and never touch them again. Thats kinda hard though considering that I can only work part time since Im full time at school. This really sucks though. I guess my car isnt getting anything new for a good long while... Anyone else have this same charging bug?

Irie_eyes
01-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Creditors are looking for me. Unfortunately these were with my first cards so my debt totals is more like $1000.
I got really bad credit.

Salty_X
01-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Every time I go to the bank (BoA) the teller always asks me if I'd like to sign up for a credit card, and for a split-second some exhaust or suspension piece flashes before my eyes. But then I think about how much I'd really spend and how screwed I'd be, and I have to say no thanks. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

NissanFiend
01-24-2004, 08:39 PM
I was lucky to have only got a hold of one credit card. I maxed that one out at $1000 and luckily I settled the total for a lesser amount. Still, it went on my credit report as a delequent(sp?) amount and my credit is suffering because of that one mistake.

armalite
01-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Every time I go to the bank (BoA) the teller always asks me if I'd like to sign up for a credit card, and for a split-second some exhaust or suspension piece flashes before my eyes. But then I think about how much I'd really spend and how screwed I'd be, and I have to say no thanks. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It is good to have for a credit report for loans. Just don't go nuts with it. I put a lot of crap on my three and had to get a home equity loan to pay them off. The interest was killing me. Now I mainly use one and pay it off each month.

M_TYPE_X
01-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Don't charge anything you can't pay off when the bill comes. It's really that simple, like making sure you don't overdraft a checking account.

Irie_eyes
01-24-2004, 11:27 PM
What was that "Maui rule" I seen on a novelty t-shirt:
"How to get rich: Spend less or earn more".
My credit cards went straight to summer sessions and 1 credit golf classes...twice.
Never spent it on actual stuff, it's way too easy to spend unearned cash.

ta2maki
01-25-2004, 01:57 AM
ya, it's tough getting out of credit card hell. i'm almost out of mine. 2 and a half years ago i was at $27,000 and i will be debt free in 2 months, yay!! for a while i was eating 2 top ramen a day.

PrincessKouki
01-25-2004, 04:32 AM
You guys suck at the credit cards..
I have two, a Visa Platinum and a Victoria's Secret Angel card and only 50 worth of debt on one.

AznPlayR99
01-25-2004, 05:01 AM
Wow i'm 19 and have no debt at all i pay everything with a debit card so its money i already have..No CC here lol my parents have raised me well i would think LoL

NOSluf
01-25-2004, 09:55 AM
I have two, a Visa Platinum and a Victoria's Secret Angel card and only 50 worth of debt on one.

Wow that's great..... So who pays for your car (stock) and Hollister "Addiction"?

M_TYPE_X
01-25-2004, 11:16 AM

Wow that's great..... So who pays for your car (stock) and Hollister "Addiction"?

I'd like to know who pays for the Victoria's Secret ... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PrincessKouki
01-25-2004, 01:10 PM

I pay for my STOCK car and hollister "addiction". http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif
The only thing I don't pay for is my private college education, the state pays for that. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AZ_Dave
01-25-2004, 01:48 PM
I guess I"m lucky, cuz most creditors wont' give me a card because of my bad credit

forsaken
01-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Thats a good way to put a good spin on bad credit http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WhereHaveYouBeen
01-25-2004, 08:26 PM
You should change the title to "Idiot with no self-control"

NissanFiend
01-25-2004, 08:48 PM
I guess I"m lucky, cuz most creditors wont' give me a card because of my bad credit

Haha, yeah. Same here. I guess it's a blessing in disguise.

a2low240
01-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Wow i'm 19 and have no debt at all i pay everything with a debit card so its money i already have..No CC here lol my parents have raised me well i would think LoL

You actually should atleast hold a credit card and use it once in a while and pay it off right away to build credit and not pay any interest.

PrincessKouki
01-25-2004, 10:43 PM

You actually should atleast hold a credit card and use it once in a while and pay it off right away to build credit and not pay any interest.

Or get a verizon cell phone, they are the only company to report to creditors.

Blurple240
01-25-2004, 11:28 PM
ou actually should atleast hold a credit card and use it once in a while and pay it off right away to build credit and not pay any interest.

Having multiple cards is even suggested, even if you only used them once every six months or so.

When I had my credit checked (it kicks ass btw), they suggested that I did not hold my credit cards long enough. They suggested holding them for at least 25 years.

I was 24 years old at the time. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

-john

s13SRmadness
01-26-2004, 12:22 AM
i am THE KING OF IDIOTS WITH NO SELF CONTROL
i am so sorry it's not even funny.
just want to get the car done.
i no longer mean "done" to my dreams or standards.
just to get the rest of the parts on my car and that expen$ive piece of kouki bumper on and painted.
i'm living as cheap as is possible right not and am not paying these off fast enough.
i always like to console myself by thinking that i could elliminate my debt by completely parting out my car. i would if the need arose or i was actually ready to, but i dont forsee either happening for a while yet...

sorry about the rant...

CCs are not evil. our lack of self control is evil.

PrincessKouki
01-26-2004, 08:01 AM
my best friend has 15 credit cards.
it's kinda funny when we go somewhere she has to remember what's paid off and what isn't and how much is on what.

jedmonds
01-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I use to have a Shiet load of credit card debt. I had about $8500 on like 10 credit cards. It sucked. My parents were nice enough at the time to get me a shared secure loan to pay off the credit cards. The interest rate on the loan was like 4-5%. Once I was done with that never again. As soon as i see the credit card charge on my online banking I quickly transfer cash from checking to pay it off. I don't even want to see the bill.

05TSXDude
01-26-2004, 02:55 PM
I win:

Bank One AOL Visa = Owe $9,600.00
Universal Services AT&T Mastercard = I owe $7,500.00
Providian VISA = I owe $950.00

I need credit relief FAST!

However, I have perfect credit. YAY ME!!

M_TYPE_X
01-26-2004, 04:07 PM
You should change the title to "Idiot with no self-control"

Some MSU (alum, right?) dude needs a beer ... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

forsaken
01-26-2004, 05:12 PM
I console myself by telling my self that after I graduate I should make more than enough money to pay off that stuff with a quickness. Now my school loans are a complete different story. And yes its true I have little self control, but oh well I'm still young, and still do have close to perfect credit if I paif off my balances.

s13SRmadness
01-27-2004, 01:27 AM
I win:

you even top me.,,
are you paying any of this off? or are you just making minimum payments???
i have about 12k of debt and a credit score of 680.
i realistically think i'll have that down to around 5k by august.
i wish i could buy discipline... "buy it now"... with my CC...

SimpleS14
01-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Credit cards are evil...so for I racked up $2000 in debt..

dayum 0% APR until April of next year with 7.9% after that. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

05TSXDude
01-27-2004, 02:25 PM
I win:

you even top me.,,
are you paying any of this off? or are you just making minimum payments???
i have about 12k of debt and a credit score of 680.
i realistically think i'll have that down to around 5k by august.
i wish i could buy discipline... "buy it now"... with my CC...

Minimum payments are all I have in my budget, but I get by and will pay it off eventually. I am not going to stress.

M_TYPE_X
01-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Minimum payments are all I have in my budget, but I get by and will pay it off eventually. I am not going to stress.

The not-stressing part results from popping those pills and doing that weed ... and the not having any money leftover for bills, well, that could very well be related to that too!!!11!!!1!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

05TSXDude
01-27-2004, 06:15 PM

The not-stressing part results from popping those pills and doing that weed ... and the not having any money leftover for bills, well, that could very well be related to that too!!!11!!!1!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Believe me, it is ALL relative, dude! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

revlis240
01-28-2004, 01:54 AM
i didnt read all of this post but here is my .02...

i got my first credit card when i was 16, with my dad as basically a cosigner, thanks capital one. $1000 limit, sweet. well food + toys + gf soon took that $1000 to the limit. i made arrangements to get another card and long story short, i soon found myself $7600 in debt. ive never been jobless or anything, ive always made a decent income since the day i turned 17. but so long as i had a gf, that $7600 was goin nowhere, interest eatin up and payments maintaining nothing but a suedo equilibrium. while this may seem bad to most, it actually worked out in my favor. see, for those few years, i never missed ONE payment, nor did i make only minimum payments. this increased my credit rating to nice levels, even tho i was very young at the time. after i turned 19, i applied for one of those special balance transfer offers they send you ever hour through the mail, and was approved for $8000. hell not bad for being 19, that indicates that my credit/income is pretty damn good. so with no interest, ive been able to consolidate all my debt, (oh the $7600 includes the purchase of my 240, on credit), anyway, consolidate all my debt onto one card, interest free for one year. 8 months later, i only owe $3300 (just made a payment! hehe) and will be debt free before my 20th birthday.

moral of the story? yes, cc's can suck if you really lose control, but if you watch what youre doing, you can get ahead real quick in life. im 20 and i got more than $10k available to me, and a pretty damn good FICO score. when it comes time for me to buy a house within the next 10 years, its all good. so the cc's arnt EVIL, little red men on your shoulders telling you to buy when you REALLY cant pay, are evil...

-Abe http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mav1178
01-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Why are credit cards evil?

I have ~$40k of buying power at my disposal. All under 9% APR too.

-alex

G35cFan
01-28-2004, 06:26 AM
I don't see why everyone is hating on CCs. I think most people doing so just lack financial discipline. I came to terms a long time ago that I would have to pay bills for the rest of my life. CCs allow me to live how I want. Although, I am in debt, it's not out of control. I know my limits. I never, never pay just minimum payments (this is downright stupid). If all you can afford is the min payment, then you should not have a CC. If I really wanted to or needed to, I could greatly cut my spendings and pay of my CC in a year or two. I got my first CC at 18. Now I have an awesome FICO score for a 25 year old. None of my CC charge me over 8% APR. There is no way in he11 I would use a CC that had anything over 10% APR. In fact, 2 of my cards have 0% APR right now for another 6 months. I like CCs. It allowed me to establish great credit, which in turn allowed me to buy my G (very first car purchase) at a nice low APR. They even lowered my car insurace by a couple hundred a year b/c I had good credit, which was news to me that they even did this.

boldenmd
01-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Just carry an American Express card. Once you build a history with them, you'll pretty much be able to charge whatever you need, whenever you need. And knowing that the full amount will come due on the next statement will keep you from spending like mad.

Drifting Ricer
01-28-2004, 08:37 AM
It's all about financial discipline. I racked up 3k worth of debt last year. For the Sr swap and couple other things. But Now I paid off all my debt and my credit was increased from 3k to 12k. Off course I'm thinking of buying more car stuff. But I already have plan to pay it off by July.

S13Koop
01-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Hell yea they're evil!! I paid mine off and closed it mid Dec and WTF comes not 1 month later???? A freakin credit app. from the same card company!!!!!! Funny thing is my credit with them wasn't all that great!!
They want you to owe them $$$$$

Jon_86
01-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Hell yea they're evil!! I paid mine off and closed it mid Dec and WTF comes not 1 month later???? A freakin credit app. from the same card company!!!!!! Funny thing is my credit with them wasn't all that great!!

Of course they want you to owe themmoney...that's how they make money. And the reason they offered you another card even with bad credit with them is that they probably would raise the interest rate...even MORE money for them.

CCs aren't evil, it's the lack of common sense people have with using them. They are CREDIT cards...people don't translate that into meaning you are actually borrowing money each time you use one. You just have to discipline yourself into paying them off so as not to accrue interest charges. I only 'borrow' what I can reasonably afford to payoff each month. This way, I increase my credit-worthiness, which qulaifies you for the lowest interest rates on loans for the big ticket items.

G35cFan
01-28-2004, 12:24 PM

You shouldn't have closed that account. If you had no balance, you should have held on to it and occasionally used it to establish credit history. I know it's tempting to have it sitting there, but that's the only way you'll bring up your credit rating. Loaners like to see that you have a long, solid credit history. They like for people to have at least 7 years of credit history. It's all about credit scores now a days ... unless you can pay for cars or houses with cash, which very few can do.

Blurple240
01-28-2004, 07:00 PM
When you close a credit card account, the company keeps it on the records.

When I checked my credit, it showed "active" credit cards that I had closed and not used for 8 years.

-john

G35cFan
01-28-2004, 07:54 PM
When you close a credit card account, the company keeps it on the records.

When I checked my credit, it showed "active" credit cards that I had closed and not used for 8 years.

-john

Maybe you're lucky, or the credit companies have messed up. I know when I get my credit update, it shows accounts I have closed.

boldenmd
01-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Me, too. And I make sure that the notation on the account indicates it was closed at the request of the consumer.

Canada_s14a
01-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Man. You guys suck. I have always payed off cards in full no matter what was on em, it hurts to pay a 3-4000$ bill at the end of the month, but the only reason I use cards vs cash is to get credit. IF I wanted credit it would almost all be on a line of credit... I have one that sits at 6.25% all the time, and I still have nothing on it. I don't use credit cards to give them money, I use them to make money or get them to give me [censored], like airmiles, or insurance on random stuff...

I suggest a lot of you do some real searching into one ofthe variety of cards out there that et you consolodate debt and pay anywhere from 1.9 (mbnc or mnbc bank, don't remember) or 5.9 like the citibank cards... easy to get, consolidae debt at much lower rate and the rate usuaully stays till you have paid off the initial debt. The biggest secret to CC buying is that if you can only handle a 1000 limit... only have a 1000 limit. don't get it upped, don't screw around.

Oh, and credit lines are nice to consolidate debt as well, as the interest is always billed on the actual value in the account at all times... much nicer then say folding it into mortgages or screwing with other means where interest is billed in retarded fashions.

SimpleS14
01-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Ok...I have a question...

I'm going to pay off one of my credit cards ASAP (like today) and the card expires in two months. Should I renew it or just close the account?

M_TYPE_X
01-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Man. You guys suck. I have always payed off cards in full no matter what was on em, it hurts to pay a 3-4000$ bill at the end of the month, but the only reason I use cards vs cash is to get credit. IF I wanted credit it would almost all be on a line of credit... I have one that sits at 6.25% all the time, and I still have nothing on it. I don't use credit cards to give them money, I use them to make money or get them to give me [censored], like airmiles, or insurance on random stuff...

I suggest a lot of you do some real searching into one ofthe variety of cards out there that et you consolodate debt and pay anywhere from 1.9 (mbnc or mnbc bank, don't remember) or 5.9 like the citibank cards... easy to get, consolidae debt at much lower rate and the rate usuaully stays till you have paid off the initial debt. The biggest secret to CC buying is that if you can only handle a 1000 limit... only have a 1000 limit. don't get it upped, don't screw around.

Oh, and credit lines are nice to consolidate debt as well, as the interest is always billed on the actual value in the account at all times... much nicer then say folding it into mortgages or screwing with other means where interest is billed in retarded fashions.

Yeah, but Canadian money is funny money. Paying off debts accrued in Can$ is like clipping your toenails and using them as payment. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

M_TYPE_X
01-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Ok...I have a question...

I'm going to pay off one of my credit cards ASAP (like today) and the card expires in two months. Should I renew it or just close the account?

Do you need the card?

Canada_s14a
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but I have to pay for car parts in US, so my [censored] costs more and I still pay it off.

Lord_Vader
01-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Credit Cards are not evil. You just have to pay them off when you get the bill. Its like saying your checking account is evil because you spent all of your money. I was at a grocery store buying food with my family. The old lady behind me saw that I was using a credit card. She was very smug and said "I would never use a credit card." I told her that I was using my Toys R Us rewards card. I get 1% back every month on every thing I charge. (Useful when buying diapers and stuff.) I said that basically my groceries were cheaper than hers because of it. She said "I didn't know you could do that."

As for whether you should have one or not, that's up to you. If you are spending too much, then don't keep one. Its really easy to spend money you don't see. I spend more than I should every month. Fortunatley, I make enough money to pay it off.