PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here have ever modified a turbo....

S14GTR
01-29-2004, 10:49 AM
By modify I mean put a different exhaust wheel???

Can you change the exhaust wheel on a BallBearing Turbo? (will I screw the bearing if I take the turbo appart???)

Post any link you have or info....cause I want to upgrade my GTR T28 turbo for steel exhaust wheel and maybe different compressor A/R.

Kim_Jong_Il
01-29-2004, 01:15 PM
try giving a turbo shop a call.
Dynamic Turbo and Cheap Turbo are two that come to mind. Search their names on google for their phone numbers.

TEKVICIOUS
01-29-2004, 01:39 PM
I haven't done much with the exhaust housings other than massively enlarge the throat where it jois the manifold. a nice large ported manifold leading to a [censored] little neck doesn't do it for me. This made a big difference. Ported the internal wastegate to handle the boost increase. You can even see that some of the stock turbos don't open very far. If thats not enough you can machine a larger flapper door and replace the one that's there.
On the intake housing I spun it in the lathe and opened the part that leads to the compressor wheel. DO NOT go as far as the wheel!!I just gave it a slightly larger mouth. I then enlarged the A (exit) on the housing...
All in all a short afternoon on the bench was quite profitable!!! The car accelerated HARD!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Just be carefull while doing it.
Disclaimer: This was on a 14b. Results may vary on different units.

Mark slide squad
01-29-2004, 02:21 PM
You can't take it apart, because the bearings will fall apart, and its impossible to put the assembly back together, not to mention it won't be VSR balanced anymore. Also you can't just slap on a new turbine wheel and housing because you need to check for clearances and stack up before putting the housing on. Garrett only sells the complete cartridge assembly for their ball bearing T25/T28 series, so you would have to buy a whole new cartridge from them and a new turbine housing. Or what you can do is send the turbo to us, and we can upgrade to a larger turbine wheel made from inconel, and turbine housing to match the new turbine wheel, and convert the turbo to standard journal bearings, instead of ball bearing, and it will be rebuildable too down the road. Call us up at Turbonetics (805)581-0333 and ask for Ryan, and he can set you up.

Mark

By modify I mean put a different exhaust wheel???

Can you change the exhaust wheel on a BallBearing Turbo? (will I screw the bearing if I take the turbo appart???)

Post any link you have or info....cause I want to upgrade my GTR T28 turbo for steel exhaust wheel and maybe different compressor A/R.

Enthalpy
01-29-2004, 02:54 PM
I "modified" a GT30R turbine wheel wiht a piece off a broken exhaust manifold a year ago. it didn't work so well after that http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TEKVICIOUS
01-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I never touched the wheels at all. My friend 'ever so gingerly' machined the rear face of a compressor out of a Junk turbo(to get it to fit in the 14b housing). He basically made a 16g out of a 14b. Then got it balanced at a turbo shop. It still self destructed. Made good power for a 5-6 days first though. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

89SX
01-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I modified my T3 turbine wheel with the same thing enthalapy. Both parts are now decorating my cubicle at work. Not pretty.