PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to stop smoking

HyJynX
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Smoking damages sex Health? (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=7&u=/nm/20040211/hl_nm/health_smoking_dc)

gunluvS14
02-11-2004, 03:09 PM
smoke free is good.

Salty_X
02-11-2004, 03:12 PM
That's old news man...
Remember that anti-smoking commercial they used to have on TV where some random hot chick is checking a guy out, then he puts a cigarette in his mouth and goes to light it when the "cigarette" goes limp, and the chick just walks away?
Hilarious. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CharlieDigital
02-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Cigarettes are just pure evil. I'm always shocked at how people can just light up without any consideration for self and others (especially when you see a parent with their child).

My dad died after losing his battle with lung cancer which, if it wasn't caused by, was certainly aided by his 2 packs a day (during his peak smoking days). I remember when we were kids, me and my sis would do anything to mess with his cigs like putting soap on the filters...he was in his mid 40's....

A couple years ago, my gf's mom started having a horrible, deep chest cough. She went to the doctor multiple times, but he was unable to diagnose the problem. Once she started hacking up bloody phlegm, she went to the hospital and they discovered that she had very advanced lung cancer and that she's probably had it for the last 3 years, unbeknownst to her. This should have come as no surprise as she was a lifelong smoker; up to 1-2 packs a day from what my gf told me. The prognosis was really bad since the cancer was in such a late and severe stage already; the doctors said she had less than a year to live. She passed less than 6 months after being diagnosed. She was in her early 40's

It seems quite odd that I have lost my father and she has lost her mother to lung cancer which was, with no doubt, brought on by their abuse of tobacco.

Cigs are just pure evil...should be banned all together. A couple people die from ephedra and it's already being banned by FDA. Hundreds of thousands of people die from tobacco related lung cancer (and certainly millions more leech off of the insurance co.'s in their fight against cancer) and the US government refuses to budge? Sounds like Big Tobacco has their hands in the shoved up the government's rear, playing it like a puppet.

HyJynX
02-11-2004, 04:10 PM
That's old news man...
Remember that anti-smoking commercial they used to have on TV where some random hot chick is checking a guy out, then he puts a cigarette in his mouth and goes to light it when the "cigarette" goes limp, and the chick just walks away?
Hilarious. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I do remember that, great commercial. Guess it is old new..

frontierq
02-11-2004, 04:31 PM
You guys have no idea how hard it is to quit http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

HyJynX
02-11-2004, 04:35 PM
You guys have no idea how hard it is to quit http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thats true, but if you wanna live longer then I think thats enough to of a reason make someone quit.

CharlieDigital
02-11-2004, 04:38 PM
If not for yourself, for someone you love or someone who loves you.

McGuirk
02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Man I fuc&ing hate smoker bashers. It is extremely hard to quit, I know because I took it up for half a year and quit (even that was hard). But nowadays people look at you when you smoke outside like you are murdering fuc&ing babies. It is so god damn ridiculous, over-dramatized. That South Park episode puts it perfectly when they are in the tolerance museum and talk about how racism is bad and they tell that smoker to burn in hell when he smokes outside.

UGH!

frontierq
02-11-2004, 05:34 PM
If not for yourself, for someone you love or someone who loves you.......... Thats true, but if you wanna live longer then I think thats enough to of a reason make someone quit

I'll say it again.....YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO QUIT! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yea, all those "Holy'er(sp?) than 'thou" folk can kiss my a$$! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CharlieDigital
02-11-2004, 05:50 PM
It's all mental, all psychological.

"It's hard" is an excuse. THIS (http://www.post-gazette.com/blackhistorymonth/19990208kids.asp) is hard, stopping a totally voluntary action is not hard.

Things that are hard:
- Climbing Mt. Everest is hard
- Heart surgery is hard
- Factoring large prime numbers efficiently is hard
- Finding algorithms to factor said primes is even harder
- Rocks are hard

Things that are not hard:
- Trying to stop doing something that is voluntary and harmful

Magellan
02-11-2004, 06:12 PM
I'll say it again.....YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO QUIT! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Everyone who has successfully quit, including myself, DOES know how hard it is to quit. But itís done every day. Making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be may discourage some smokers from even trying.

CharlieDigital
02-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be may discourage some smokers from even trying.

Exactly

Rcs476
02-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Cigs are just pure evil...should be banned all together. A couple people die from ephedra and it's already being banned by FDA. Hundreds of thousands of people die from tobacco related lung cancer (and certainly millions more leech off of the insurance co.'s in their fight against cancer) and the US government refuses to budge? Sounds like Big Tobacco has their hands in the shoved up the government's rear, playing it like a puppet.

in all absolute honesty, I thought of this same exact thing the other day. Amazing isn't it?

It is a voluntary action (smoking), it should be extremely easy to quit, though, the right techniques vary from case to case, there are so many different facets to quitting smoking, as soon as you can identify each piece you will feel and face when going through the withdrawals, it will be a lot easier to quit. I am still smoking with the absolute intent of quitting soon. I watched my mother die from cancer, which stemmed from skin cancer and spread to the rest of her body (Brain tumors, intestinal tumors), in the two months (from diagnosis to death) they also found tumors in her lungs, which were a result of smoking.

frontierq
02-11-2004, 06:48 PM
It's all mental, all psychological.

Whatever. Have you smoked? Have you tried to quit? I agree that some of it is mental/social. But there is no denying that it is also, even more so, physical. You actually go through withdrawl. I have smoked for 10 years, and everytime I light up all the negatives of smoking roll through my head. I know what smoking does to your body, my dad has emphesema(sp?) and has had surgery to open cloged arteries in his legs from smoking non-filter Commanders for much of his life. I know it does no good to smoke. It's just not as easy as you non-smokers think it is. So, until you do, offer some encouraging words and quit acting like YOU KNOW and that somehow you are better. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

fooddude
02-11-2004, 07:22 PM
It's funny how all these non-smokers bad mouth smokers because they assume smokers smoke to intentionally harm others and themselves. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

CharlieDigital
02-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Let's put it this way okay?

Funny how people will resist dropping their clutch to preserve their autos while they can't quit smoking to help themselves...

Funny how some people will maintain their cars with absolute conviction, but won't maintain their own health...

As for not being able to relate, we all have weaknesses (and that's what addiction is). After I moved to my townhouse 3 months ago, I started going to the new gym less and less until I pretty much stopped going completely for two weeks. My gf would tell me to go with her all the time and try to drag me to the gym and I'd just come up with some lame excuse...no one's fault but my own.

At some point, I was just totally disgusted with myself; I could feel the muscles becoming lethargic, my energy levels were down, my tummy was starting to sag a bit, and on top of all that, it was basically $50 down the drain each month.

It's just as hard to tell yourself to wake up at 5:30 AM on 6 hours of sleep when it's still dark (and friggin cold) outside and go to the gym to work out. It's easy to mumble some words and lay back in bed; too easy. But I started to force myself to get up knowing that it's the right thing to do.

You know smoking is bad for you, you know you should stop, and yet you continue. No one's damn fault but your own. No one drives to the supermarket/gas station/7-11 and plops down $$ for a pack of sigs but yourself. No one forces that cigarette into your mouth, your mind tells your hand to pick it up and put it in; you can just as easily choose not to put it in. I have never smoked and never will because I could care less about cigarettes. What is there to gain by smoking? Acceptance by the "cool kids"? Just how old are we?

Get over it. Smoking is for the weak of mind and weak of body. Total weakness.

Stop making the same lame excuse that every smoker before you has made: "You don't know how hard it is, blah, blah, whine, whine...". Get over yourself dude. It's all mental. Smoking is for the weak and feeble of mind.

Kookz
02-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Physical cravings are gone in a few days. If you don't think you could handle a week of nausea/headaches/dizziness, just try to handle a few years of cancer.

frontierq
02-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I have never smoked and never will

So you really DON'T know what it's like to be a smoker.
While some of your points are valid, most are derived from ignorance and naivety. We are human, we all have our faults and imperfections, and we all have the right to say f#(K you! You are the the exact person that needs to keep his mouth shut about something he knows NOTHING about. Your comparisons early in your post are nowhere near close or relavent, actually stupid. And, your misguided name calling at the end is un-called for. You don't know me, nothing about me except that I smoke, so I would suggest you keep your small minded, pigeon holed comments about who you "think" I am to yourself, less people get the wrong impression of you. Until then, f#<k you again http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CharlieDigital
02-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I know what it's like to have a weakness.

I know what it's like to want to do something that you know you shouldn't do and how hard it can be to resist the urge.

I know what it's like to be tempted and to conquer the temptation.

Each of us has weaknesses. It doesn't matter what it is, all that matters is that we face it with all of our will and realize that there is nothing voluntary that you cannot control. Smoking is a voluntary choice. Stop hiding behind your lame excuses (all of you) and fess up to your weakness and deal with it for your own good and the good of your loved ones.

armalite
02-11-2004, 08:10 PM

I've tried twice now since October and it really is hard. I had to quit drinking in 2002 and I drank A LOT!!! That was a piece of cake. I was using Welbutron (Zantac) to quit and the first time it did take away my cravings and for a few days I would only have 3 or 4 smokes but sitting in front of the computer squashed that. Even though I didn't crave a smoke, I wanted one. So I stopped the pills and was back to normal. I then started up on the pills again right before Christmas and stopped taking them last week. They make you irritable too. I'm going to wait until March and hopefully set my quit date for St. Patrick's Day. My problem is that I really do not want to quit but I know I have to. And for those of you who want to preach? DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!! It falls on deaf ears.

HyJynX
02-11-2004, 08:21 PM
And for those of you who want to preach? DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!! It falls on deaf ears.

Exactly, thats why I dont preach. I know none of you will pay one ounce of attention to it. People will just have to lean it the hard way

frontierq
02-11-2004, 08:48 PM

But you DON'T know what it's like to have an addiction, so shut up and quit acting like you're soooooo great cause you got your ass off the couch and made your girlfriend proud http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

armalite
02-11-2004, 09:00 PM
And for those of you who want to preach? DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!! It falls on deaf ears.

Exactly, thats why I dont preach. I know none of you will pay one ounce of attention to it. People will just have to lean it the hard way

I started smoking when I was 15 and I'm now 41. Like I said, I don't want to quit but I know I have to.

KenFuji
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM

i'm in the process right now. it's hard, but something i feel i need to do. not really a new years resolution either..... I'm getting sick of smoking. I've quit before i'm sure i can quite again.

M_TYPE_X
02-11-2004, 09:49 PM

I know what it's like to want to do something that you know you shouldn't do and how hard it can be to resist the urge.

I know what it's like to be tempted and to conquer the temptation.

Each of us has weaknesses. It doesn't matter what it is, all that matters is that we face it with all of our will and realize that there is nothing voluntary that you cannot control. Smoking is a voluntary choice. Stop hiding behind your lame excuses (all of you) and fess up to your weakness and deal with it for your own good and the good of your loved ones.

Ah yes, liberals. Smoking is a "choice" but being transgendered is just a "fact of life" ... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

HyJynX
02-11-2004, 09:59 PM

I started smoking when I was 15 and I'm now 41. Like I said, I don't want to quit but I know I have to.

Easier said then done huh?

Irie_eyes
02-11-2004, 10:42 PM
The nicotine in my lungs kills germs also.

PongAtari
02-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Smoking IS hard to quit. Sure there are harder things in the world, but it's still not easy. I've been wanting to quit for a while.. I've only been smoking regularly for 2 years. I was doing pretty well last month - got sick so I stopped smoking. After I got better, I still didn't feel the need to smoke. One day I realized that I had been really depressed for no apparent reason, and as soon as I started smoking again I wasn't depressed anymore. Meh. I think I'll be able to do it one day when I'm living in a situation where I can't smoke (like being around my gf or family). Japan is NOT a good place to try to quit smoking! $2.50 a pack (good cigs, not discount brands) and smoking areas almost everywhere. Maybe I'll move to NY.. even I'm not dumb enough to pay $10 a pack http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

forsaken
02-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Smoking IS hard to quit. Sure there are harder things in the world, but it's still not easy. I've been wanting to quit for a while.. I've only been smoking regularly for 2 years. I was doing pretty well last month - got sick so I stopped smoking. After I got better, I still didn't feel the need to smoke. One day I realized that I had been really depressed for no apparent reason, and as soon as I started smoking again I wasn't depressed anymore. Meh. I think I'll be able to do it one day when I'm living in a situation where I can't smoke (like being around my gf or family). Japan is NOT a good place to try to quit smoking! $2.50 a pack (good cigs, not discount brands) and smoking areas almost everywhere. Maybe I'll move to NY.. even I'm not dumb enough to pay $10 a pack http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Heh... Im kind of in the same boat. Im 19 and Ive been smoking for about a year now. I know its dumb and bad and all that, but I seem to get stressed our very easily and smoking a cig always seems to calm me down. I tell myself I'll quit if my gf asks me too or for sure when I have kids.

Irie_eyes
02-12-2004, 02:33 AM
I smoke, and I don't think that smoking is hard to quit, and that is an excuse.
Should have not started. I mean the first smoke you get sick and wanna puke.
Sadly for me, it's a social thing, but it's sorta good social for networking.
Stopping smoking weed was hard, but purely psychological. After 9/11 prices went up and I stopped.

armalite
02-12-2004, 04:20 AM

Heh... Im kind of in the same boat. Im 19 and Ive been smoking for about a year now. I know its dumb and bad and all that, but I seem to get stressed our very easily and smoking a cig always seems to calm me down. I tell myself I'll quit if my gf asks me too or for sure when I have kids.

You should try now because the older you get the more you'll smoke in a day. And if you like to juice then you know how you love that smoke while downing a beer.

forsaken
02-12-2004, 12:54 PM

You should try now because the older you get the more you'll smoke in a day. And if you like to juice then you know how you love that smoke while downing a beer.

Yeah Im gonna work on it. A pack still lasts me about 4 to 5 days so I really dont smoke that much. But enough to where I notice that Im starting to crave... Ehh... oh well. Tis true though that beer and cigs are inseparable in my life. haha

KASilviaAR
02-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I've smoked since I was about 16. I would like to quit for all the right reasons. I know all the health issues. I know I NEED to quit. My problem is that I actually ENJOY it too much! For all those who say it's easy to quit or just a mental thing or we're weak because we can't quit, I say f@ck you! Nicotine has been proven time and again to be significantly more addictive and to produce a much stronger addiction than heroin, cocaine, or almost any other drug. Get off the couch and go to the gym to make your little girlfriend happy - hell you might even be surprised to find me there too! Of course I'm sorry to hear of your family losses due to cancer, but you have no fricken clue about what it takes to quit. My advice to you is to STFU about quitting. I have successfully quit a few times for a few months at a time. As soon as my parents figure out that I'm quitting, they'll start asking STUPID little questions like "how you doing with your quest?" This does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except piss me off, make me think about smoking, make me WANT a cigarette, and make it THAT MUCH HARDER TO QUIT! So, if you REALLY want to help somebody quit, then STFU! Don't say a fricken word!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Jon_86
02-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I've smoked since I was about 16. I would like to quit for all the right reasons. I know all the health issues. I know I NEED to quit. My problem is that I actually ENJOY it too much! For all those who say it's easy to quit or just a mental thing or we're weak because we can't quit, I say f@ck you! Nicotine has been proven time and again to be significantly more addictive and to produce a much stronger addiction than heroin, cocaine, or almost any other drug. Get off the couch and go to the gym to make your little girlfriend happy - hell you might even be surprised to find me there too! Of course I'm sorry to hear of your family losses due to cancer, but you have no fricken clue about what it takes to quit. My advice to you is to STFU about quitting. I have successfully quit a few times for a few months at a time. As soon as my parents figure out that I'm quitting, they'll start asking STUPID little questions like "how you doing with your quest?" This does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except piss me off, make me think about smoking, make me WANT a cigarette, and make it THAT MUCH HARDER TO QUIT! So, if you REALLY want to help somebody quit, then STFU! Don't say a fricken word!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I smoked for 20 years and quit. That was 5 years ago. The first year was hell. But, once you get past the physical withdrawal, it just keeps getting better. Now the mere smell of cigarettes on someone makes me want to puke. I have absolutely no cravings for a cigarette at all! You can do it! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

05TSXDude
02-13-2004, 02:58 PM
I smoke, and I don't think that smoking is hard to quit, and that is an excuse.
Should have not started. I mean the first smoke you get sick and wanna puke.
Sadly for me, it's a social thing, but it's sorta good social for networking.
Stopping smoking weed was hard, but purely psychological. After 9/11 prices went up and I stopped.

Prices aren't THAT bad for weed. $50.00 for an 1/8 of chron suits me just fine. Plus, Irie, you are in Hawaii. You get some of the best sh*t around!