PDA

View Full Version : another concern for my SR20 ---sputter---

KenFuji
10-23-2001, 08:45 PM
hey guys... i just re-did my vacuum lines so i know they are done correct. i only notice a splutter (V8 sound) after i drive my car hard (high speed to a complete stop) and the sputtering will go away after the boost kicks in around 3000rpm. i think it's a sticky internal wastgate or a tried turbo. sorry i asked a similar question before, but now i'm more familiar with the concern and eliminated pretty much other theories. i don't think it's a exhust leak because it would happen all of the time right? i have the stock BOV right routed back into the IC pipe. when this happens i notice the psi rises from -20psi to -15psi. sorry for the long post. boy what will i do with out you guys http://www.freshalloy.com/

JDMRICE
10-23-2001, 10:25 PM
you might hear the knocking sound...a stock SR's max boost should be around 12 psi to be safe.

give us the setup on your car (mod list) and the air/fuel tuning computer stuff like that

and can you describe the sound too??..
the knocking sound should be some kind of clicking sound.....

give us more info

Richard

KenFuji
10-24-2001, 04:37 AM
thanks Tangkai127

my car has:
stock ecu
apexi intake
custom 3" exhust from the turbo outlet
thermo tech cat
blitz DBSC set @stock 7psi
apexi boost guage.

it's a fairly stock sr with light mods.

it does not sound like a clicking sound it sounds like a harley or a V8 with exhaust.
when it does occur it idles the same, but i do notice a slight lag in the spool up time. but once the boost kicks in it's fine. it only happens after i run the car hard.

thanks Tangkai127

Mark slide squad
10-24-2001, 06:24 AM
That sputtering you are hearing is most likely an air/fuel problem. When the MAF gives a false signal, or there is a boost leak, or way too much fuel going in, it will do that. Also, you mentioned you routed the stock SR BOV into the intercooler piping? thats a no no. The stock SR BOV is designed to only hold about 10psi max, more psi than that and it won't hold the boost and it will leak. You should route your bov to the intake pipe, right after the MAF. Basically your BOV is doing nothing benefical if you think about it, the BOV is supposed to release excess air pressure from the turbo compressor and there on. If it is just releasing air pressure and putting directly back into the intercooler piping, you are just taking out pressure from the turbo and putting it right back in there. If you route your BOV into the intake pipe, right after the MAF (just like stock) the car will run much better.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drift-otaku:
thanks Tangkai127

my car has:
stock ecu
apexi intake
custom 3" exhust from the turbo outlet
thermo tech cat
blitz DBSC set @stock 7psi
apexi boost guage.

it's a fairly stock sr with light mods.

it does not sound like a clicking sound it sounds like a harley or a V8 with exhaust.
when it does occur it idles the same, but i do notice a slight lag in the spool up time. but once the boost kicks in it's fine. it only happens after i run the car hard.

thanks Tangkai127<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KenFuji
10-24-2001, 08:24 PM
mark-- i have the dsbc going into the intake ic pipings. i just got my tranny mout fixed today and they(mechanic) noticed the sputter also. i haven't had a chance for them to analyse it yet. but i was told that it was air/fuel problem in one cylinder, misfiring in one cylinder or bad coil, bad connection.... i believe there is too much fuel going in and not bring burned properly when it does occur because i noticed the oil smelled a little like gas when i changed it. i mean it does not sputter all the time... so i'm not too worried, but i hope it's not a major problem. i hope a new splitfire sr20det coils will cure the problem.

ken

**DONOTDELETE**
10-24-2001, 09:06 PM
Could id be a head gasket ? Mine is doing the same thing

**DONOTDELETE**
10-24-2001, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drift-otaku:
mark-- i have the dsbc going into the intake ic pipings. i just got my tranny mout fixed today and they(mechanic) noticed the sputter also. i haven't had a chance for them to analyse it yet. but i was told that it was air/fuel problem in one cylinder, misfiring in one cylinder or bad coil, bad connection.... i believe there is too much fuel going in and not bring burned properly when it does occur because i noticed the oil smelled a little like gas when i changed it. i mean it does not sputter all the time... so i'm not too worried, but i hope it's not a major problem. i hope a new splitfire sr20det coils will cure the problem.

ken<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's quite easy to pull the spark plugs on an SR20DET to diagnose them

Demon

**DONOTDELETE**
10-25-2001, 06:20 AM
when this happens i notice the psi rises from -20psi to -15psi.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW, boost guages that measure in PSI on the positive side usually measure mmHg or Torr on the negative side. There is no such thing as -15 or -20 psi, since that would be below an absolute vacuum. 760mmHG = 760 torr = 1 atm = 14.696 psi.

So -20 to -15 mmHg = -.387 to .290 psi.

Dennis

KenFuji
10-26-2001, 06:19 PM
well i pulled out the old plugs (3 months) it was those darn ugly splitfire plugs. i just spent 50 dollars on ngk laser platnium plugs and it seems to have done the deal. i have't had a problem these couple of days.... "knock on wood". the real test is tonight... a 5 hour drive to Las Vegas. http://www.freshalloy.com/

d240t

i noticed the different measurement on my boost guage after looking at it carefully cool. now i learned something once again. thanks http://www.freshalloy.com/