PDA

View Full Version : Running on patched tire?

LOwrestling2001
03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi,
I'm about to attend a track event (road course) tomorrow. I recently had one of my azenis patched since it got a nail in it. I am wondering if it is okay to track my car on this patched tire. btw it's patched and not plugged (tire taken off and patched, not just plugged). thanks

steve shadows
03-04-2004, 06:05 PM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif they need a micky mouse smiley face, oh well, its a gamble but im no tire expert john could prolly answer this one better than me. But temperature inside the tire is going to increase i dont think that will have a negative effect on the patch at least at first. how bad was the hole and where was it

LOwrestling2001
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
it was on the face of the tire (the contact patch)...just a nail..not huge not tiny...

mechaniac
03-05-2004, 01:08 AM
I caught a pretty big nail in my tire and plugged it up. Took it to 110mph (call me crazy) and drifted a couple corners. Tire has not lost pressure and is ok. My buddy's buddy raced a motorcycle tire on a plug and was cool. Patched is even better. No worries.

I've had a lot of patched tires, it kind of sucks because of the area I drive around in. Never had one blow on me. (knock on wood)

Hugh
03-05-2004, 06:01 AM
<-- Drag Raced a Nitto Drag Radial with not one, but two plugs in it. Smokey burnouts, two-step launches pulling 1.9 second 60ft's and plenty of street driving.

Don't know if that counts towards your situation... but I'd run it.

McGuirk
03-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks this just reminded me that I had a patched rear tire http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ronix
03-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I've been running on a patched rear tire for almost 3 months, tires are near bald. I'd say your good to go for a while.. at first I lost a little pressure, went back, got it repatched. Everythings good now... Just make sure your not losing pressure and that you have some tread between the patch and the surface of your tire thats getting eaten.