PDA

View Full Version : HKS SLD (Speed Limit Defencer)

KA24DE
03-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Has anyone purchased and installed the HKS SLD (Speed Limit Defencer) in a 1997 240SX (KA24DE) with 5 spd. transmission?
If so what type is compatable. TYPE 1 OR 2 ?
How difficult is it to install?
Thanks! <font color="blue[/img] </font>

HKS SLD (http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=781)

DudeYourSoooJDM
03-10-2004, 11:26 PM
We have one going in our parts car.....I'll update you when it's in.

Hugh
03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
There's a really neat trick to avoid adding the speed limit defencer. Take a look at the wire you have to cut to install the defencer.

CUT IT.

Done.

Saved you some cash, ha? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

24zer0
03-11-2004, 12:38 AM
but does the defencer fool the computer into eliminating the 4th and 5th gear limiters, or is it just like cutting the wire?

S13E
03-11-2004, 05:32 AM
I have installed this in my S13 SR20DET Redtop. It does remove the 180/kmh but does not bypass the rev limiter in 5th. Like what 1bad180sx said, just cut it. Not sure if it will throw a code but some have just wired a switch to kill the wire in times of the need for speed. I paid 15 bucks for mine from ebay so I'm not really trippin.

gunluvS14
03-11-2004, 02:32 PM
just cut the 5th gear position sensor wire and the vehicle speed sensor wire...

DONE~

gunluvS14
03-11-2004, 02:40 PM
I've got nothing to do at work, so here

this is a pinout diagram for a 95 KA ECU, you have a 97, their wire location are pretty much same spot, if not they are at near location.

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/95_ecu_pinout_files/image002.jpg

they wire u need to cut is

26- yellow/green- VSS (Speed sensor)

and

7- yellow/blue- 5th gear switch

gatecrasher
03-11-2004, 02:40 PM
which wire exactly is it that you cut on an S13 redtop harness to disable the speed limiter?

gunluvS14
03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
#62 computer right?

http://sr20det.nismo.org/ecuplug2.jpg

32 - Speed sensor input - Yellow/Green

I don't know which one is 5th gear position sensor, but color should be Yellow/Blue also.

*sorry about the super huge pic, Moderator can resize it if you think it is necessary.

KA24DE
03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info!
So if I cut the two wires, I'm not gpoing to get an ERROR message am I?

gunluvS14
03-11-2004, 02:53 PM
you might, but u can always go read the code first then erase it.

to read
http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/ecm_codes_doch.htm

to reset
http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/ecm_reset.htm

S14GTR
03-11-2004, 03:14 PM

DONE~

Don't do it...or if you do put a switch on the wire..so that you can hook it up when you want....

Cause if the ECU see high air flow value and almost full throttle, for more than 6 second (if I remember right) it will cut fuel...until you release the throttle cable.

Hugh
03-11-2004, 03:29 PM
I cut the speed limiter wire on my old KA24DE in a 91 240sx.

I also traced the 4th and 5th gear sensors up from the tranny into the engine bay and found the connector behind the fuse box in the engine bay. I unplugged this connector, and there were no more speed limiting factors aside from the redline in 5th gear. (somewhere around 140mph)

I never attempted it on an SR because I've always run tuned computers since afew years back...but I can tell you, all that SLD is doing is clipping the signal. I'm pretty sure its a waste of money.

gatecrasher
03-11-2004, 03:39 PM
i know cutting the speed signal off at the KA ecu works, but i wasnt sure if cutting the same wire at the SR ECU would have any adverse effects. So its confirmed that you can just snip the wire and still retain speedo etc.

id previously heard that you had to wire a switch into the speed sensor and just flip it off when you come up on speed cut. I dunno, i never run many people above 115, and this car isnt trapping 115+ yet so... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gunluvS14
03-11-2004, 03:53 PM

DONE~

Don't do it...or if you do put a switch on the wire..so that you can hook it up when you want....

Cause if the ECU see high air flow value and almost full throttle, for more than 6 second (if I remember right) it will cut fuel...until you release the throttle cable.

that's not correct. I have it done on my 1st S14, my 2nd S14, my friend's S13(s).. all of them work.

cutting the VSS wire will still allow the speedo to work, but if you have Techtom or RSM, then it won't work then.

Also by cutting the 5th gear sensor wire its just same as how 1Bad180sx unplug his sensors right at the tranny.

S14GTR
03-11-2004, 04:00 PM

DONE~

that's not correct. I have it done on my 1st S14, my 2nd S14, my friend's S13(s).. all of them work.

cutting the VSS wire will still allow the speedo to work, but if you have Techtom or RSM, then it won't work then.

Also by cutting the 5th gear sensor wire its just same as how 1Bad180sx unplug his sensors right at the tranny.

I'm telling you, I did it on my car when I had an S13 SR, and the car would cut after some time at 100% throttle...if it doesn't do it on your car it's cause you don't floor it enough!

On my friend S12 (200SX 1988) we just put a S13 SR20DET engine with #62 ECU...and we didn't wire the speed sensor wire to the ECU (cause is car is a cable speedo)...and is car cut exactly like mine use to do.

KA24DE
03-11-2004, 04:23 PM
I don't mean to be rude but.....lets please keep with MY question and if you have another please post it. This is my question and I really don't need EVERYONE asking about their car too. <font color="blue[/img] </font>
Please have some courtesy and respect for the users question....this is not Automotiveforms.com

DudeYourSoooJDM
03-11-2004, 05:19 PM
To back up what 1bad is saying.

A friend opened up a HKS SLD.

He says the design is so simple...that HKS etched out numbers on the two simple chips so that no one could replicate it.

DudeYourSoooJDM
03-11-2004, 06:16 PM
the sld is just a voltage clamp. it allows the ecu to see speed all the way up to the max where speed cut would hit, then it clamps it off before it does.

gunluvS14
03-11-2004, 08:02 PM
240ksk, dude~ read, I never mention about I have SR, we have KA, and the thread starter has a KA also, and it works on KA.. okay?

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hugh
03-12-2004, 03:00 PM
I don't mean to be rude but.....lets please keep with MY question and if you have another please post it. This is my question and I really don't need EVERYONE asking about their car too. <font color="blue[/img] </font>
Please have some courtesy and respect for the users question....this is not Automotiveforms.com

Hey there bro, if you don't like the conversation, then email your question to someone. This is a public forum with a lot of traffic. The flow of information here increases knowledge. Read and you might learn something that will help you someday.

As far as your original question, I already answered it. I'm not theorizing here. I've done it.

The S14 KA24DE we did that on didn't seem to care about 4th or 5th gear rev limiters... it topped all the way out if you cut the speed sensor wire. Don't waste your money on the SLD.

S14GTR
03-12-2004, 03:07 PM
the sld is just a voltage clamp. it allows the ecu to see speed all the way up to the max where speed cut would hit, then it clamps it off before it does.

It's not a voltage clamp, cause the VSS signal is a 5 Volt TTL square waves...it's a frequency divider (a flip-flop)

Touring240
03-12-2004, 03:17 PM
so has anyone with an s13 SR 5 speed (#62 ecu) cut the VSS wire and the 5th gear sensor wire with successful results ? this means :
1) gone over 200km/h
2) no error codes/CE light
3) speedo still works

KA24DE
03-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Lets slow down here 180X unless you're on a quilt trip. My comments were directed at gatecrasher...
Get a grip before you come out slugging.

Also keep your smart ass comments to yourself as you may loose your teeth doing this BS in public.

Hey...coming across like GOD almighty shows that you need to grow up kido. Who and the ..... do think you are anyway?

A friendly word of advise from guy that needs to set your smart ass straight....

Hugh
03-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Lets slow down here 180X unless you're on a quilt trip. My comments were directed at gatecrasher...
Get a grip before you come out slugging.

Also keep your smart ass comments to yourself as you may loose your teeth doing this BS in public.

Hey...coming across like GOD almighty shows that you need to grow up kido. Who and the ..... do think you are anyway?

A friendly word of advise from guy that needs to set your smart ass straight....

Ha? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

revlis240
03-13-2004, 01:37 AM
listen junior, youve been listening to too much rap. put that cd away. hugh answered your question what the hell else do you want? jesus. congrats on getting this thread locked..

-Abe