PDA

View Full Version : Removing Engine: A/C?

McGuirk
03-17-2004, 01:57 AM
I got alot done towards removing the 98 KA outta my car temporarily but still have to cover the A/C, vacuum hoses, and a bunch of electrical.

I was a bit confused as to how (and where) to detach the A/C from the engine so I don't have to mess with all those fumes when re-installing it. Because the FSM says to just remove A/C components but that doesn't help much. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, anything else to make sure to remove or any hints would be helpful thanks.

Big_Bronze_Rim
03-17-2004, 02:03 AM
You just need to unbolt the compressor from the engine. There are 4 bolts that hold it to the bracket. Once its unbolted you can just lay the compressor to the side and tie it out of the way leaving all the lines untouched.

McGuirk
03-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Awesome that was what I was hopin for thanks.

McGuirk
03-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Follow up... I know this is stupid and since I have a FSM I thought I would know but it doesn't mention it, where do I have to remove the driveshaft and how? Also, I have to drop that crossbrace that the tranny mount sits on right?

Maybe I am just not thinking right and my cold garage is playing tricks on me, who knows. I am going to hit the hay, please excuse my stupidity.

Blurple240
03-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Yup, just remove the 4 main bolts holding the brace on. I usually just pull the brace with the motor and tranny. No sense in doing extra work.

The driveshaft slides right out. No need to do anything fancy. If it bothers you, use an old coat hanger and loop it around the 'shaft, so when you pull out the engine/tranny, the 'shaft doesn't just drop to the floor. As long as you don't move the rearend, everything should slide right back up when you re-install. Or IF you reinstall...

-john

McGuirk
03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Great thanks alot of the information, I should get everything out and back in next time I come home from school. Firing it up and putting it in gear should be rather suspensful http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif