PDA

View Full Version : home made turbo

Frankiefingers77
10-29-2001, 12:01 AM
My friend and I had a great idea for a home made turbo setup. we both are planning to make a low boost, not to mention low profile, setup for probably about 200 or so hp. We are planning on running only 4 or 5 psi and maybe a SMI. Would the stock fuel settings run ok or are modifications needed? If so, what is recomended?

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2001, 01:10 AM
for the psi you're talking about look at getting a fuel pressure riser i think its called an FMU somthing that will raise your fuel pressure by x amount for x psi.....you simply need more fuel to burn whenever you go above 0 psi (Natural Aspiration) because the ecu assumes NA and you will run lean without more fuel. as for injectors you shouldnt have to change them, 4-5 PSI shouldnt need an intercooler. What turbo are you looking at a t25? With all the effort that will be going into this you might as well use a bigger turbo and intercooler and just dial down the boost it wont really cost much more unless you got some free stuff.

Frankiefingers77
10-29-2001, 01:29 AM
thanks. My freind is getting some free stuff, and we are looking into fabricating all the manifolds and the tubing ourselves/family members. this post probably should be called "homemade budget turbo" he's trying to stay under 1000 and I'm going for about 1700, since I don't get any freebees.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alchemist:
for the psi you're talking about look at getting a fuel pressure riser i think its called an FMU somthing that will raise your fuel pressure by x amount for x psi.....you simply need more fuel to burn whenever you go above 0 psi (Natural Aspiration) because the ecu assumes NA and you will run lean without more fuel. as for injectors you shouldnt have to change them, 4-5 PSI shouldnt need an intercooler. What turbo are you looking at a t25? With all the effort that will be going into this you might as well use a bigger turbo and intercooler and just dial down the boost it wont really cost much more unless you got some free stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TheWhistler
10-29-2001, 10:11 AM
My friend, Phil240sx-T, is running a KA24E-T, T3 turbo off an old 87 300zx, downpipe off an old turbo caravan, smic from a 1st gen. eclipse, and some other mix and match parts. He's running around 9psi, with a jackson racing fmu, no problems, on stock internals. To see the kit, go to http://hmpmotorsports.hypermart.net/ I would guess he's around 200 rwhp. Good luck on your project.
Later,
Justin
HMP Motorsports

NOSTALGIC_HERO
10-29-2001, 10:50 AM
haha thast what i love!!! REAL grassroots motorsports at its finest -err cheapest!! dude those projects are always the most fun b/c the expectations are set lower, when results happen, its always a blast, even when it doesnt quite work the way you want it to, good luck!!!!!

AceInHole
10-29-2001, 02:28 PM
ebay is friendly with the budget....

you'll need the Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (FMU) for any amount of boost I think. Pretty sure it should be around 10:1 for the rising rate (they're all 1:1 before that) so that when it sees boost, it restricts more fuel return flow and creates higher fuel pressure, providing more fuel. (I think it's the Vortech FMU's that have replaceable valves to adjust the rising rate.)
I've got everything except for piping and am well below the $1000 mark, but the piping is the b*tch so in reality I haven't gotten very far. I'll be working on the manifold over winter so my project won't be done for a while http://www.freshalloy.com/ .
Anyways, keep us informed on progress and most importantly: Good Luck!!

deeznutz
10-29-2001, 02:42 PM
What's up!
I'm really excited about that 300tt swap!
Let me know ho w it goes!
You can reach me at dan240sx@hotmail.com
Please keep me informed, I've always wanted to try this, but everyone tells me that it's too much hassels.
Good luck with the swap! http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
10-29-2001, 06:12 PM
Thats awsome man, good Job !!
You gotta love that
Budget Boost ! http://www.freshalloy.com/

matt240sx
10-29-2001, 06:24 PM
The VG30DETT project is still about a year or so away. I'm still playing with the KA24E. Once that reaches it limits it's time for more displacement. One word on hoemade turbo kits. You can scimp on everything except the fuel. Make sure the fuel set-up is good. That nasty manifold was our first one. That was back in the day. The manifolds have since gotten much better. We still have that manifold laying around in the shop for old time's sake lol.
Matt
HMP Motorsports

jvh22a
10-29-2001, 10:01 PM
for all you on a budget; get one of these welders.. it is an inverter; tig and stick. dc only. you can not weld aluminum with this. you can get a mig welder to weld aluminum if you need to.

geocities.com/psijunkies/sdrecu.html

it is somewhere on there...

StealthmodeS14
10-30-2001, 12:36 AM
I also am one for the do-it-yourselfers.....I'm just too damn lazy....Good luck on your project and keep us informed on your progress

Frankiefingers77
10-31-2001, 06:19 PM
does anyone know what size turbo the 92 eclipse/talon had? would it be any good for my project?

AceInHole
10-31-2001, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cali240:
does anyone know what size turbo the 92 eclipse/talon had? would it be any good for my project?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

weren't those cars like 2.1L??
I've seen one and it looked kinda small. I went with one off of a volvo 240 instead (they're 2.4L engines I thought. . . and figured same displacement, it's cheap, it should work). I would say the DSM turbo might work, but probably wouldn't be big enough to be any fun.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-31-2001, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cali240:
does anyone know what size turbo the 92 eclipse/talon had? would it be any good for my project?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mitsubishi 14B. Makes about the same power as a T28.

Mitsu flang so you will need a custom manifold.

AceInHole
10-31-2001, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay Hass:

Mitsu flang so you will need a custom manifold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they're doing a budget turbo like mine so i'm guessing they'll be fabbing the manifold too.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2001, 11:38 PM
Hey fellow fans, im doing the project with cali240 with the budget boost. Just an update. The TD05H that my buddy hooked me up with from a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI (AWD Turbo) turns out not to be that great. The exhaust side leading to the down pipe has a few small cracks. Luckly my uncle happens to be very good at welding so I am get some advice and see if he can fix it. There is also a tiny bit of shaft play. It is barley visible to the naked eye. Please send me feed back and suggestions. I am considering all possibilities but keep in mind BUDGET. Thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 12:08 AM
what kind of HP/TQ increase do you expect at 4PSI? any idea on 1/4 mile times....I ask because i want to see if its worth it for me to turbo....I only want low PSI for now since i'm in grad school

TheWhistler
11-03-2001, 01:43 AM
If you're looking for a budget turbo, just get a used T3 out of an old body style 300zx. They're a dime a dozen. They spool up fast and produce decent power. And later down the road when you crave more boost, and trust me, you will, you can make it a T3/T4. When you're a poor college student like me, budget boost is the only way to go. Keep us updated on your project.
Justin
HMP Motorsports

Frankiefingers77
11-03-2001, 01:11 PM
any one know anything about the AiRsearch M10? I found one out of a lebaron, and those are 2.6L Is AiRsearch any good? Would this be an apropriot turbo?
Here it is if anyone wants to look http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=597411820

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: cali240 ]