PDA

View Full Version : Solved My Idle Problem

MadSideways
03-21-2004, 02:16 PM
I fixed my idle today. My idle would surge, stall, idle at 1500-2000, just about everything that could go wrong was.

After lots of research and time, this is the procedure that I went through, (with the car fully warmed up):

1.) Disconnect MAFS & TPS
2.) Start Car
3.) Lower throttle body Idle screw to minimum
4.) Lower IACV screw until idle reached 800 +/- 50
5.) Plug in TPS
6.) Unscrew TPS to adjust it
7.) Re-Tighten TPS to .455 volts, (with voltmeter on middle pin)

* Purring like a kitten with no backfires/misses/or funky lobe, (although exhaust a little rich and black due to no MAFS).

8.) Plug in MAFS

* Idle immediately starts to drop, misfire, lobe, etc...(even after stopping/restarting the car)....I think I have proven to myself that either my MAFS is just bad, or the 95 KA24DE MAF won't work on the s13 Red-Top.

Either way, I'm not trying another KA MAFS, and I need a new stock sr20det MAFS if anyone has one lieing around.

Jared
03-21-2004, 02:26 PM
The KA24DE MAF does not work, but as you stated, you learned this. The KA24E MAF will work fine if you're looking for a cheaper substitute... you can usually find them cheap on Ebay.

Jsquared
03-21-2004, 05:05 PM
I've got a used SR20DET MAFS, was fine when I took it off the car for a Z32 unit...

aukalok
03-21-2004, 05:21 PM
I have been running the "E" maf since I have had my red top. Like they said, it is a very good substitute to the exspensive sr20 maf.

Congrats on getting the idle together, let me know when you get a maf, if your idle drops when engaging the clutch.

MadSideways
03-21-2004, 10:07 PM
let me know when you get a maf, if your idle drops when engaging the clutch.

Why would that happen?

igotswansons
04-15-2004, 07:28 PM
hey madsideways.. is that throttle body idle adjust screw the lil threaded screw to the passenger side of the throttle body that pushes up on the throttle wheel???

MadSideways
04-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Yes, it's the little screw attatched to the throttle body that allows you to raise/lower the throttle. If everything else is properly adjusted you should be able to lower it down to about 1mm, (provided there is no [censored] in your throttlebody).

You don't want to bottom it out or you'll have problems with your throttle sticking.