PDA

View Full Version : KA-T Spring Cleaning = NOT Starting?

Maeda
03-28-2004, 04:55 PM
I recently pulled my fuel rail, injectors, vac hoses, and associated wiring in an atempt to clean up my engine bay.

I also removed cruise while I was at it.

I put the wires back under the intake manifold, and hooked up the rail and what not. I tried to start the car but it wouldn't fire up.

It cranks strong. Battery voltage is good. Did the FSM injector check and they are getting voltage. It feels like it wants to start but something is missing.

I took out the rail AGAIN and set it on a towel and cranked the motor. No fuel came out of the injectors after about 10 seconds of cranking.

The car was running perfectly hours before I did 'spring cleaning', so this leads me to believe its something stupid, but I can't find it after 3 FULL days.

Rownan
03-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Are you sure all the vacuum hoses are in the right place?

Check spark?

This might sound stupid, but did you put the fuel pump fuse back?

Maeda
03-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Spark confirmed.
Vacuum lines double checked.

Any other ideas? Anybody?

Barney_240
03-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Spark confirmed.
Vacuum lines double checked.

Any other ideas? Anybody?

well i had a similar problem, except i wasn't cleanign anything under the hood. It ended up being the ignition relay.

the ignition relay in my s13 fastback was located right behind the misc. fuses left to the clutch pedal. If i remember correctly, the color of the relay was blue and if you have an SE model, you should have two black relay in the middle which are your power window relays.

When i had this problem my power windows didn't function at all.

hopefully this tip could help you out and also check the hoses connected to the intake. I know it's a pain. If you got rid of some emissions stuff, make sure you tapped off the holes correctly.

Hope you fix the car soon

240sxTurbo
03-28-2004, 06:14 PM
I recently pulled my fuel rail, injectors, vac hoses, and associated wiring in an atempt to clean up my engine bay.

I also removed cruise while I was at it.

I put the wires back under the intake manifold, and hooked up the rail and what not. I tried to start the car but it wouldn't fire up.

It cranks strong. Battery voltage is good. Did the FSM injector check and they are getting voltage. It feels like it wants to start but something is missing.

I took out the rail AGAIN and set it on a towel and cranked the motor. No fuel came out of the injectors after about 10 seconds of cranking.

The car was running perfectly hours before I did 'spring cleaning', so this leads me to believe its something stupid, but I can't find it after 3 FULL days.

Sounds like a grounding issue. Just because you have voltage doesn't mean the injectors are grounded. Get a noid light on them, or better yet ground one and see what happens.

Thats my vote.

Maeda
03-28-2004, 06:35 PM
WOW that was fast. Thanks for the suggestions guys! (and gals)

240sxTurbo, what do you mean by a grounding issue exxactly?
With the key on the injectors have power as the FSM test. With the key out the same wire has ground. How do I test for grounding issues now(or did I cover that)?

My plugs were foul, so I changed them just now as well (not sure if it was related).

Blurple240
03-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Did you check all the grounds? Battery ground, engine ground, ground to the back of the block, etc.?

You said no fuel is coming out of the injectors. Have you removed the fuel feed line and tested to see whether the fuel pump is functioning?

Verify that you put the spark plugs back on correctly (embarrassingly enough, I have swapped 2 and 3 before...).

Did you remove the distributor? Can timing be the problem?

I hope you get it fixed man. Sometimes it helps stepping back and taking your mind off of it. Drink a cold one, eat some pizza, watch a bit of tv, then tackle it a couple hours later. I'm always amazed at how much a fresh outlook improves problem solving...

-john

Maeda
03-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Ground to the block is present.
Plugs back in correctly.
Timing wasn't touched.
Pump is working fine according to the FSM test.

o.O

Jeff240sx
03-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Plugs back in correctly.
Timing wasn't touched.
o.O

It wasn't broke man... why'd you try to fix it. His problem just seems to be the injectors. And they're getting power. Does anyone else think that the injector drivers (or some part of his ecu) spontaneously shut down? Or something like the crank angle sensor isn't plugged in? It's going to be something that affects the fuel system at once, not timing or grounding (because that should only affect 1 injector at a time).
-Jeff

240sxTurbo
03-29-2004, 05:45 PM
WOW that was fast. Thanks for the suggestions guys! (and gals)

240sxTurbo, what do you mean by a grounding issue exxactly?
With the key on the injectors have power as the FSM test. With the key out the same wire has ground. How do I test for grounding issues now(or did I cover that)?

Not sure of the FSM injector check, but they need power(12V) and they need ground to be switched to fire. One way to tell would be take a 9 volt battery, ground one side of an injector with a aligator clip, then stick the other side with the 9 volt see if the injectors clicks. Based on what you describe they aren't putting fuel out at the injector, my thought is you may have power but without ground they can't fire......just a thought really since you were messing with wiring.

240sxTurbo
03-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Plugs back in correctly.
Timing wasn't touched.
o.O

affects the fuel system at once, not timing or grounding (because that should only affect 1 injector at a time).
-Jeff

I'm pretty sure that all 4 injectors get their ground source from the same point of contact, thus no contact no ground, I know its that way on a lot of cars, just has similar problem on SVO turbo car, turns out all 4 were grounded in one place.

I agree it seems to be a all or nothing case, but no fuel at the injector means one of the following:

No pressure
No power
No ground
All four stuck closed(very unlikely but have seen it too)

My vote is concentrate on what you were messing with....wiring.

RDM_II
03-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Sounds like you swapped fuel feed and return lines.

03-29-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that all 4 injectors get their ground source from the same point of contact, thus no contact no ground, I know its that way on a lot of cars, just has similar problem on SVO turbo car, turns out all 4 were grounded in one place.

Actually, most cars (and all that I've ever checked) get power from the same point, and the ECU supplies ground in order to fire them. The 240 works that way: S13's have constant power to the injectors, even when the key is off; S14 injectors get power only when the key is on/start.

I agree it seems to be a all or nothing case, but no fuel at the injector means one of the following:

No pressure

AHA!

No power

He checked, and has power.

No ground

Not likely, since this is four individual circuits, and everything was fine before.

All four stuck closed(very unlikely but have seen it too)

You're right, not likely, especially since they worked before.

My vote is no pressure in the fuel rail, most likely due to the lines being mixed up as suggested by chit-dude.