PDA

View Full Version : Air Filters?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2001, 01:04 PM
anyone know where i can get intakes from at a good price?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2001, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S13_Passion:
anyone know where i can get intakes from at a good price?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When It comes to Intakes, You get what you pay for. The Idea is to get the smoothest internal flowing Intake along
with one that will not hold the underhood heat.
Don Nimi of PDM-racing was working on a setup.
I recommend Injen or JWT. If all else just buy K&N's short stack.
http://www.freshalloy.com/

ZENKI_KONG
11-02-2001, 07:05 PM
hey, AEM jus came out with a air intake system for the S14 240sx, S13's too i think, check their site to be sure. i do know nopionline.com has em for 195.00 a pop

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2001, 07:20 PM
AEM just came out with theirs, www.autoimaging.com (http://www.autoimaging.com) has them for 179.99 + shipping on available stock. Phone is 952-884-1901

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2001, 08:09 PM
thanx guys. do spark plugs and wires make a good performance difference too? by how much?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-02-2001, 09:30 PM
the thought of K&N on a 240/Silvia just makes me sick... come on guys.. stop being so damn shysty...get the GOOD stuff..aka Blitz's SUS filter... save up a few more sheckels and get a nice setup... its not always about cheap... if you were soo concerned about cheap you can get some panty hose...does a better job than K&N and you can get it for like 1.99 at K-Mart..how is that for cheap?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 12:22 AM
When you are getting an air induction system for your N/A car, the piping is your biggest consideration. I don't remember where I saw this, but there was a guy who dynoed his stock intake system with a K&N and then ran it with no filter and saw no power gain or loss. Any aftermarket filter will flow more than enough than you will ever need with your N/A car (just stay away from the foam or paper filters, i.e. Weapon R). K&N is a very reputable company, they have multiple entries in many racing series, they have millions of miles of proven performance and satisfied customers, just because they are an American company doesn't mean they are bad. A K&N cone filter that slips over the end of your intake tube is only about $50 or $60 plus they can be cleaned and reused. If you want to go JDM you have Blitz, HKS, Apex'i, and so on. They are on the same level as the K&N, but they retail for about $180 or more. So it is up to you on how much you want to spend on a filter, but I would bet you wouldn't see a power difference if you were to try multiple filters. Hell, if you want maximum power don’t run a filter at all, and if you want maximum filtering abilities go with an OE replacement filter.

As for tubing: An Injen intake piping and CAE seem to be proven on the KA, so unless you plan on making your own, just stick with the Injen tubing. But if you do decide to custom fab, the MAF needs to be (14” or 18”?) away from the throttle, and be sure to make it with as few bends as possible (which should be mandrel).

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 04:33 AM
hehe...sorry i was thinking turbo only... my bad..yeah the Injen piping is nice..i had it on my N/A KA....sounded good too...nice resonance

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 09:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White240sx:
If you want to go JDM you have Blitz, HKS, Apex'i, and so on. They are on the same level as the K&N, but they retail for about $180 or more<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats not all together true. I a article I believe done by a mag in Europe they tested the Blitz, hks, Apexi filters and the Apexi was able to filter the most dirt particles and give you the most Hp out of any of the other filters they tested. THe HKS filter was the worst out of the three letting in the most dust and dirt through the filter.

Orrin

VeilSideS14
11-03-2001, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nox240:
the thought of K&N on a 240/Silvia just makes me sick... come on guys.. stop being so damn shysty...get the GOOD stuff..aka Blitz's SUS filter... save up a few more sheckels and get a nice setup... its not always about cheap... if you were soo concerned about cheap you can get some panty hose...does a better job than K&N and you can get it for like 1.99 at K-Mart..how is that for cheap?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. You're acting like someone called your Mama a tramp. I'm not sure why this is such a personal topic for you. I hate to rain on your parade but the stainless filters aren't all that when it comes to actual particle filtering. Check out the review link below. If you've already seen it then look at it again. If you've got an honest opinion about something that's fine but don't make false statements in comparing panty-hoes (how you seem to know what a good price is for them is another story) and K&N filters. I'm not an advocate for K&N and probably wouldn't buy one but that doesn't mean that they're crap either.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 10:30 AM
that was not the point i was trying to make..the whole point of my tirade was to make it known that K&N just sucks..why you think they push it on hotrod tv? and i didnt mean to say that the Blitz SUS was the ONLY thing to get for your car...im sure the Greddy, or Apexi intake would do good as well...and yes...Panty hose can be used as a substitute air filter....it does the job just fine...cheap and effective...

i just said what i felt.. its not like i caused worlds to stop rotating, or stars to collapse... chill out dood...and enjoy the ride!

VeilSideS14
11-03-2001, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nox240:
that was not the point i was trying to make..the whole point of my tirade was to make it known that K&N just sucks..why you think they push it on hotrod tv? and i didnt mean to say that the Blitz SUS was the ONLY thing to get for your car...im sure the Greddy, or Apexi intake would do good as well...and yes...Panty hose can be used as a substitute air filter....it does the job just fine...cheap and effective...

i just said what i felt.. its not like i caused worlds to stop rotating, or stars to collapse... chill out dood...and enjoy the ride!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm actually quite chill. I think you show a lot more emotion in your last post than I did. You even called it a 'tirade' yourself. But I don't want to bicker...although 'dood' is really spelt dude.

One question though. Why does HotRodTV automatically associate with something sucking? Did you have a bad experience with K&N? They do have a 1,000,000 mile warranty and they do give comparable performance outputs...so why do they suck? Please don't make blanket statements and then not support them with any facts or else you're just giving opinions that aren't based in any truth or personal knowledge...just emotion.

To answer your other question, I think they push K&N on HotRod TV because it was the first performance filter to hit the US market...no other reason. If Blitz or Apex'i was first introduced into the US market, I feel that the muscle car mystique that has been melded with K&N may have been a different story.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 01:36 PM
that was not the point i was trying to make..the whole point of my tirade was to make it known that K just sucks..why you think they push it on hotrod tv?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so wrong.. K&N is still one of the best filters you can get today. And the fact that it's readily-avl in the US makes it affordable for most too. Can't beat that. Blitz sucks dong for filtering btw... buy one and check it yourself. Or you can just believe me. I've played with them before. Oh yah, there's also that one *JDM* magazine article that featured a test on all of those big-name filters... check that out too.
And Hot Rod TV products would blow the hell out of any import crap. Don't be so quick to discount products that are usually produced by people who have decades of engineering experience... vs. stuff made by kiddies with parents who have connections to taiwanese manufacturers (quite a number of "import-related" companies fit this bill).

Demon

**DONOTDELETE**
11-03-2001, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darknight:
Thats not all together true.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That article used a Skyline as a test car; turbo cars ingest a hell of a lot of more air than N/A cars do. But even then the horsepower span was only 1hp, on an N/A car there would probably be no(or immeasurable) difference. I believe it was Mike(ClearCorners) that said this a while back: "If you want to tap the most dirt, use an OE replacement filter. If you want the most power, don't run a filter at all". I'm guessing most people would like to have a compromise of this so that’s why you have performance air filters. With that said you could either drop $50 on a high quality K&N or you can drop $200 on an Apex, Blitz, HKS, ect and impress the narrow-minded "JDM" crew with your air filter.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon:
And Hot Rod TV products would blow the hell out of any import crap. Don't be so quick to discount products that are usually produced by people who have decades of engineering experience... vs. stuff made by kiddies with parents who have connections to taiwanese manufacturers (quite a number of "import-related" companies fit this bill).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Demon: I would like to have your statement engraved, bronzed, and then erected in every public gathering place in the nation. http://www.freshalloy.com/