PDA

View Full Version : s13 LCA w/ s14 Ball joint

nismo180s
04-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I did do the 5 lug conversion BUT when I pressed the ball joint out it messed up pne control arm but I had not problem with the other but for some reason I poped it in with my hand and used the ring to hold it in I m assuming that unsafe cause I didnt use the press but it was in all the way when I did it. I m extremely frustrated with this. but did I do something wrong or is it right ? but should the s14 ball jint be hard to press in or not ? any one have any personal experience ? and or advice and yes I did search

orion
04-13-2004, 02:28 PM
It should require some force...I did mine with a 'drift' and a hammer, worked great, but took a few good blows.

And to prep I sanded the ball joint hole and then lubed it to make it go in easier...

Yours should not have just slid in IMO.

- Brian

Big_Bronze_Rim
04-13-2004, 03:41 PM
When I installed mine, it was pretty easy to get them in. I didnt need a press. With the snap ring off, one good strike with a hammer knocked the old ones out and I was able to lightly tap the new ones in with a rubber mallet..

wizdom240
04-13-2004, 05:06 PM
I agree, it shouldn't just slip right in on its own. I did mine by lubing the ball joint and used a mallet to tap it into place. No press needed to remove either.

PSI240SX
04-13-2004, 06:36 PM
while your at it... check this out: http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67731700&page= 0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Water
04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
I am going out on a limb here, but b/c I experienced the same issue, I have to ask...did you happen to, at one point or another, purchase the PDM racing s13 LCA? If the answer is yes, you're gonna have to pull some stock s13 LCA's from a junk yard (or use your old ones if you still have them).

The PDM s13 LCA is not built to OEM specs. The lower diameter of the ball joint is a completely different size than OEM LCA's (it's too large as you are finding out). If you didn't switch them out, it's possible that you have the wrong ball joints or the previous owner installed the PDM LCA.

Either way, to answer another one of your questions, yes it is EXTREMELY unsafe to have your ball joints sitting on the snap ring.

nismo180s
04-14-2004, 09:12 AM
I am going out on a limb here, but b/c I experienced the same issue, I have to ask...did you happen to, at one point or another, purchase the PDM racing s13 LCA? If the answer is yes, you're gonna have to pull some stock s13 LCA's from a junk yard (or use your old ones if you still have them).

The PDM s13 LCA is not built to OEM specs. The lower diameter of the ball joint is a completely different size than OEM LCA's (it's too large as you are finding out). If you didn't switch them out, it's possible that you have the wrong ball joints or the previous owner installed the PDM LCA.

Either way, to answer another one of your questions, yes it is EXTREMELY unsafe to have your ball joints sitting on the snap ring.

no i didnt buy the PDM LCA mine are stock but the ball joints kinda snapped in but they I think but secured in by the ring. I m gonna buy 2 more control arms this week. what can I do to ensure the ball joints and really secure and I will be safe ?

Water
04-14-2004, 10:04 AM
They are supposed to be a press fit.

I'd get a new set of ball joints just to be sure...it they're the same, return one set.