PDA

View Full Version : Testing for an exhaust leak *update*

Brad
04-17-2004, 03:27 PM
well my car sounded like a volkswagen, ran like one, and my turbo whined exhaust leak style when i hit boost

spent this morning pulling the manifold, and saw lots of blackness (dahkness is spreading) around the exhast ports on the block. ok, problem 1 sort of solved, thats where the exhaust leak was coming from. also around the downpipe as well, saw some blackness on part of the flange. sweet, so i think thats solved

however theres the problem of my turbo still whining under boost. its pretty constant, once in a great while it wont, just like a small leak between the turbo to manifold gasket would do. it isnt blown, the gasket is silver all around, slight slight discoloration on one side

so my question is this....any way to test for an exhaust leak on the turbo section? this includes turbo to manifold, and exhaust outlet to o2 extension. thought about maybe filling it with water...but that doesnt sound like a good idea. dont have access to an air compressor, but if filling the exhaust housing with air to test is the only way, i can try to find one

thanks

Brad
04-18-2004, 10:15 PM
well when i took the manifold off and inspected, i noticed pretty much every intake port had tons of blacknes around it, and my s15 metal exhaust mani gasket was warped to hell. most likely why i was getting taht whistling sound

so i went and got a carbon paper gasket to get a better seal, and also used fine 320 grit sandpaper to take off all the crap and get the surface all clean and ready for a good seal.

so i get it back on there and tighten the [censored] out of the nuts cause im not playing around anymore, start the car, and the exauhst leak is 4x loud as it use to be. my car sounds like a huge mack truck

son of a...i honestly dont know what to do now. the ports and manifold were clean and smooth as silk...the bond had to be good. is there any other tricks i can use?

McGuirk
04-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Damn man that sucks. Can you put your hand over parts of it and tell us if you can feel smoke comin out? That may help you distinguish where it is comin from exactly.

gatecrasher
04-18-2004, 11:14 PM
are you sure your leak is coming from the manifold to head gasket and not the turbo to manifold gasket?

Brad
04-18-2004, 11:31 PM
yeah the gasket looks really good around the turbo to manifold, and i just replaced it a few weeks ago when i installed the new turbo. looks perfect all the way around, and you can hear the air rushing at you if you stick your head over the exhaust manifold.

im going to torque it doen some more, and ill put my hand around the manifold and try to feel for air like you guys said

i really need something good to happen with this car, this turbo install has been notihng but dissapointment after dissapointment http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tear.gif

DeatschWerks_Dave
04-19-2004, 09:45 AM
EASY WAY TO CHECK FOR EXHAUST LEAK!!!

I found out I had an exhast leak when I did my seafoam treatment. Feed the seafoam thru the brake booster. It produces TONS of smoke while it is burning the carbom off your head. This goes out the tail pipe, but if you have an exhaust leak, it will also pour out of there. It is white smoke and makes even the smallest leaks easy to find. Also, it just takes a couple of minutes.

just make sure youdo it outside

Brad
04-19-2004, 05:06 PM
i went looking for this stuff after class today...went to napa, autozone, checker and none of them had it.

they had a generic brand of "engine sludge cleaner" that you are supposed to put in the crank case. will this stuff work if i put it in the brake booster lines too? sucks that it murders my oil....just put in fresh 15w-50 3 weeks ago

DeatschWerks_Dave
04-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Huh, I have gotten it at both napa and O'Rileys. You can just do your crankcase when you need to change the oil again. Putting it thru the brake booster (cleaning the head) is how you will find the exhast leak.

I wouldn't put anything in the head if it doesn't say it is designed for it.

silviapwr20
04-19-2004, 05:32 PM
uh oh, im about to get my gt25r running, anything i should do before the final installation of my mani/turbo/stainless lines, so that i do not run into any future problems?

thanks
kevin

90s13drifter
04-19-2004, 07:22 PM
I was gonna say seafoam too. You can see the leak because the seafoam expands and will leak out of the holes.

Brad
04-19-2004, 07:26 PM
uh oh, im about to get my gt25r running, anything i should do before the final installation of my mani/turbo/stainless lines, so that i do not run into any future problems?

thanks
kevin

SELL IT NOW...KEEP THE T25!!!

no im kidding, just get ready for a ****load of problems. hope you got a daily driver

well im going to head back out and try to find that seafoam stuff, got an ishload of homework so it will have to wait till wednesday. damit