PDA

View Full Version : SUSPENSION GURUS!!!!!

gsracer
04-20-2004, 02:32 PM
i was thinking about reinforcing the rear of my car. I got an extra subframe and im redoing it out of the car with a lot of spl goodies, but anyway this is my idea.

Im gonna do some work inside my trunk. Im gonna weld a piece of roll bar piping in between the two rear shock towers with plates mounting it to the shock towers and then from there weld to more from the plates to the trunk floor. I think it would stiffen up the rear of the car incredibly. I attached a picture drawing of the general idea.

Now what do you guys think is this gonna make a real big difference other than looking cool or is it not gonna be worth it. And question two, i do a lot of drag racing, auto cross, and im trying to do some drift now also, will this mod be illegal with any of the santioning bodies.

Critisim will be appreciated.

for some reason this is not letting me upload attachments but you get the genreal idea.

itll be like a bar between the two shock towers and from eac mounting point a bar coming to the floor like an X

garak
04-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Your swap would put you in street mod for scca solo2. Street mod is a very open class as far as suspension goes. You can do pretty much anything as long as you dont change the geometry.

I think that roll cage sized tube may be overkill if your just trying to stiffen up the rear. If you are going to do a full roll cage then that is a different matter all together.

Need4Boost
04-20-2004, 05:22 PM
like garak said, it will be overkill unless you have a full roll cage setup. The s14 rear is already like a stiff box. Hence why so few people actually use a rear strut bar. They are available but really not advantageous.

Reinforcement does not hurt but if it'll throw you in a more difficult class that's not advantageous for you then that bar is more of a grievence than a chassis stiffner.

-Safa

gsracer
04-20-2004, 07:39 PM
i want to end up doing a roll bar , the hoop and the rear bars going back cuz i plan to run mid 11s with my new turbo so im gonna need a roll bar, but i also want to autcross, and do some drift which is why i want to stiffen up the rear as much as posssible latteraly.

gsracer
04-21-2004, 10:33 AM
anybody????

Kato_NEO
04-21-2004, 10:49 AM
You don't need a super stiff ass to drift...

FreeThinker
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Hey, nice to see you on the board, I'm the guy who asked you at Moroso last weekend if you were on FA.

As for stiffening the chassis, the suspension on the rear of the S14 isn't a strut setup so a bar connecting the shock towers really wont do much and they are already designed to be load bearing for the weight of the vehicle.

Race practice is to reinforce and triangulate as much as possible, any part of the car that is a pickup for suspension and load structures. Since you have a spare subframe you already know how the rear works with the 4 rings that connect to the chassis. If you reinforce the pickup areas on the chassis with like 3/16" plate steel (hole drilled through plate to slide over the pins coming down from the chassis), you could then run like 1.25 chromoly tubing from those pickup points up into a cage that also ties into the chassis' A B and C pillars. You dont really need any lateral parts since the subframe itself acts as 2 lateral bars, just tie it in solid instead of any sort of bushings.

Imagine just fully caging the car and in the rear you run tubes down to catch the 4 subframe pickups and tie it all in.

In front you want to tie the front portions of the cage into the strut towers with reinforcing plates on the tops of the towers. The best strut tower bar is a 1.25 chromoly tube with no hinge points, just plate ends to bolt on the strut tops. Also it's not a bad idea to run tubes down from the forward cage and weld them to plates reinforcing the 4 front crossmember bolt area. Once all that is solidly tied to the cage and unibody, the only thing left to tie in is the TC rod brackets. I think a Nismo power brace would suffice having all the other parts already stiffened.

Try to see through the car and see the key pickup points and also think big as far as triagulation goes. One diagonal bar from the main rool hoop across the rear main section can make a huge difference.

FreeThinker
04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Something I forgot to touch on. In the rear of the S14, remember that all the suspension is attached to the subframe, so the unibody sees no bending or twisting from the upper and lower control arms. The force is just transferred through the 4 subframe rings so they can really only go up/down left/right and fore/aft. Concentrate on reinforcing their tie-in points and connecting them to the car as a whole.

gsracer
04-27-2004, 01:50 PM
maybe we can hang out some time , there are virtually no cool or nolegable 240 people here in miami, but anyway i might get started this weeking fabing my own nismo power bar out od some extra pasrts i have i mean it is basicly the tc brackets and a piece of pipe, so well se what happens , im orderign some solid subframe bushings from spl , and also the pretty much all of the arms except for the a arm , as it is two expensive right now, i still dont know what im gonna do for the cage even if im gonna do it but im deffinatly gonna make my owen strut bar with solid mounts out of stainless, but any way big plans, got the $ just no time, o and i sold the gtr wheels , and the volks i had at home, looking to get some Works Emotion CR kai. in bronze, anythoughts

FreeThinker
04-27-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm never up to date on wheels so I really don't know. The Emotion CR Kai looks nice. Personally my current favorite wheel is the VS-XX, but it's $$$$$. The Do-Luck double six is pretty hot too.

I actually live in Palm Beach but I'm in Miami frequently. I'm picking up the Q45 motor for my swap tomorrow and that should be fun... As far as Miami people go, I dont know if you know Rock, Finn, kyle or Anthony down there, but they're all good guys, plus all the BYP guys are cool (except they hate SR's)

Anyway, I left Moroso early to go to work so I didnt see the last round of eliminations. When I left I think you were still in the bracket races, how did you do ?

gsracer
04-27-2004, 02:38 PM
i came in 3rd lost to a red supra with a t67 running 13.00 and a 13.5 dial in bastard .. i know kyle, and have met finn at a 240 meet once but dats it. I got 3 q45s v8's sitting at the shop now, My g/f dad owns 3 junkyards so hit me up for parts if youd like.