PDA

View Full Version : KA turbo running hot

**DONOTDELETE**
11-09-2001, 04:36 PM
My temp gauge now sits at about 3/4 to the H, when it used to be right in the middle. Is this a problem or I am going to have to live with this? (Side effect of turbo?)

My car is a 1991 KA24DE w/ turbo.

Thanks,
Tom

**DONOTDELETE**
11-09-2001, 06:18 PM
Did you wrap the turbine side to minimize the heat transfer into the engine bay? If not defintiely do that because of two reasons. 1) the less heat lost from the exhaust the better becasue a hot exhaust makes the turbo happier (sorry no technical explanation right now) 2) Wrapping the turbo will cut the heat loss into the engine bay wich is most likely causing the engine bay to be hotter....(you have a lot more exhaust piping in the bay now to add heat to the bay)
Some people in addition to this have made heat shields to direct the heat down...

**DONOTDELETE**
11-09-2001, 06:27 PM
Sounds good, I'll do that as soon as I can. Thanks.

PSI240SX
11-09-2001, 08:51 PM
Might be an air pocket in the cooling system, have you had the cooling system apart recently? I dont run any sheilding on my turbo or any wrap on my manifold or downpipe and the only time I have had overheating issues was actually an air pocket, once I found the mysterious bleeder valve and bled the air out, it was fine.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-10-2001, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hayai 240SX:
My temp gauge now sits at about 3/4 to the H, when it used to be right in the middle. Is this a problem or I am going to have to live with this? (Side effect of turbo?)

My car is a 1991 KA24DE w/ turbo.

Thanks,
Tom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a front mount IC? Make sure you get airflow to the radiator.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
11-16-2001, 09:33 AM
i had to get an oil cooler...buy a custom rad..and cut a gaping hole in the nose to stop overheating...and use 2 electric fans...on my turbo KA-T the stock rad is crap

i blew a head gasket due to overheating so watch it

'97 S14 SE Turbo
11-16-2001, 10:18 AM
hehe, stock headgasket, stock radiator, etc. No over heating problems in Arizona. Not even during track events. Powerband was wide enought that I could afford to shift at 5,000rpm to keep the motor cooler in 120 degree F track days.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-16-2001, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I probably will go with a new radiator and more fans in the spring. http://www.freshalloy.com/

-Tom