PDA

View Full Version : odd sound in tranny?

cdn_w_sr20
05-08-2004, 09:53 AM
My friend is really pissing me off. I helped him install a urathene tranny mount and this B&M shifter he bought off of ebay. Anyways after we install everything and start the car it shifts well and all and the tranny feels nice and firm. However when your driving I swear you can hear some kind of whining in the transmission. It is most noticeable when downshifting. however you can also hear it in 5th gear anytime you hit the gas. It shifts well and doesn't grind and did not do this before the install process. What the heck would cause this to happen? I want to fix it so he'll stop *****ing at me. We also changed the tranny fluid since he had stock [censored] in there. We used redline for that so I can't understand what the heck is going on.

cdn_w_sr20
05-08-2004, 10:36 AM
also not sure if this matters. I was going to use silicon for the gasket between the shifter and tranny but he insisted on using that "make your own gasket" cork crap [censored]. So we made a gasket that I think would be a tad thicker than the stock gasket. I'm not sure if that would make any difference but i thought i would mention it.

Hugh
05-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Whenever you stiffen up the tranny mount, you start hearing the noises the tranny makes everyday. You don't normally hear them, as nissan designed it that way. For those who wish to have a racecar feel, you get racecar sound.

JimStinksAtDorifto
05-08-2004, 11:24 AM
For those who wish to have a racecar feel, you get racecar sound.

well put, sir.

p.s. if you really feel that it is problematic, or will be, switch to redline mt90 or another known synthetic, perhaps. mt90 made my whine go away permanently on an rx-7 tranny. if you already have said fluid, it is most likely just car noise.

McGuirk
05-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Duhhh do you need a new gasket between your shifter and tranny every time you take it off? Cause I like never have http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGuirk
05-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Duhhh do you need a new gasket between your shifter and tranny every time you take it off? Cause I like never have http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eh?

JimStinksAtDorifto
05-09-2004, 03:57 PM
most ppl i know dont use a gasket since the fluid never really gets that high, but you can as a precaution.

PR_S14
05-10-2004, 07:29 PM
most ppl i know dont use a gasket since the fluid never really gets that high, but you can as a precaution.

Funny, I have to purchase a new lower rubber boot (the one that goes around the shifter base and shifter) because oil spits out of my current one. All it has is a hairline gash about 4 mm long.