PDA

View Full Version : VG30 swap, who completed or started it?

jOeHaCk98
11-12-2001, 03:07 PM
i have read that some are starting this. U wanted to know what the estimated: cost, 1/4 mile time, problematic, suspention upgrade.

I am intrested in this swap. If completed it would be a great swap for the cali crowd since it would be legal.

jOeHaCk98
11-13-2001, 08:37 AM
up to the top!

**DONOTDELETE**
11-13-2001, 09:19 AM
You wouldn't be more correct, this swap is legal in cali and the potential for this engine is beyond the charts. I am in the final stages of a 1995 VG30DE (non-turbo) into my 1995 240SX. The engine is fully blueprinted and many idea's were taken from Sport Compact Cars 300ZXTT project, but i chose to go the all-motor route in this case. I am using many JUN parts (e.g. their high-compression pistons, rods, cams, chromoly flywheel, etc.)The block was bored out to 3.1L up from the standard 3.0.
I would honestly claim that this motor would be at the 300HP plus mark and i would get more of it the ground if it wasn't for the auto-trannie with its upgraded plumbing and high-stall TQ convertor, but once the car is out from the paint shop, we will see the final results.
I have been at this motor for over 2 years now, many months it just sat there, until i contacted JUN and had the money to start building the motor up. I used the motor mounts from an Infiniti J30, its power-steering unit (remember the J30 is a stretched out 240 chassis with the VG30DE used as its engine) To be honest with everyone around, the weight of a turbo-KA vs. that of even a VG30DETT is negliable, with many lightened parts the VG30DETT will right on par with the inline-4 and also have a lower center of gravity.
Once i was done with major components of the VG, i was ready to start on the chassis, stripping everything from the car (it basically was the uni-body) i spot welded and seam welded major suspension points on the body, tieing everything together with a fully chromoly rollcage, i also welded in the j30 motor mounts and braces.
In the way of engine management, i am using a Motec M48 engine management computer. Many people in california in the import racing scene use the MOTEC cause it can be adapted to use the stock sensors on many imports, a sleeper engine management computer.
Before the engine is finally laid into the car, i am in the process of confirming if customized Nitrous system from NOS is available, since many nice features of the MOTEC are its Nitrous Control feature. Take note, I still run the stock ECU for my transmission, which itself has been reprogrammed by JWT.

Cost in total over a 2 year project span was about a little less than 10 grand, due to coilovers and other suspension mods, and misc. parts which in themselves are to varied to list here...

The S14 Z spec is alive... http://www.freshalloy.com/

NOSTALGIC_HERO
11-13-2001, 10:04 AM
excellent, but the overwhelming question on our minds is :.... PICTURES!!!

show us the goods!!! i've always liked the J30, but a car that many people look over is the underappreciated M30. WOW that car had some potential. I would love to see somebody take one of those and do a VG30DETT+5SPD conversion to that bad boy, basically a big brother to the silvia, it sports a coupe design and similar lines. Very nice car.

cant wait to see pics of your project!!

**DONOTDELETE**
11-13-2001, 05:28 PM
I will post pictures as soon as the car is in its final stages.

Several key parts had to be fabricated and these parts will definately be the key to having a strong and reliable car. Although just welding in engine mounts and braces would have worked, i went a step further and built a cradle for the engine itself, instead of using the standard braces. The main reason i went a step further was to ensure that if I wanted to install a VG30DETT powerplant, that the car wouldn't have to be reinforced later.

Many of you will be asking, why I chose to go with an auto vs. a stick. Although the Z32's manual tranny is brutally tough, its not very consistant. A slight unmodulated mis-shift and you loose that initiative. The auto-trannie although slower shifting, can be made to shift with the same bravado as the manual once modified, once strengthened internally it can hold about 700+ HP (estimation).

Weight savings is another key feature, i have managed to lighten this car by about 380lbs, as it is right now. Almost 100lbs will go back into the car once the interior panels, instrumentation, seats and misc items are installed.

I will eventually be plumbing in a 100+ shot Nitrous Oxide system into the motor, but this will come later, once the car is dynoed and the N/A motor is pushed to the limit.

Stay tuned.... this car will be a daily driver...

formulaJEREMY
11-13-2001, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a great swap.

I remember seeing a 280ZX with the VG30DETT out here on several occasions (it was in Turbo magazine several years back.) I believe it ran a 10.89 on the stock engine with just the boost raised. It was very smooth, quiet, and reliable.

I guess he said it took several years to complete. Maybe I'll try something like this soon as I get my own house with a garage http://www.freshalloy.com/

jOeHaCk98
11-14-2001, 12:15 AM
cool, i gotta check that out. if you ever come down to san jose let me know. Is thi car going to become a daily driver??? Also does it have to have a auto tranny? I need a 5 speed.

jOeHaCk98
11-14-2001, 08:48 AM
im getting intrested in this swap. i dont think spending 10k for it is practical as a highschool student that spends HIS own money, not mommys. When i posted VG30, I meant the VQ30de. I heard it can be done. Anyone try it?

osofast240
11-14-2001, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jOeHaCk98:
i have read that some are starting this. U wanted to know what the estimated: cost, 1/4 mile time, problematic, suspention upgrade.

I am intrested in this swap. If completed it would be a great swap for the cali crowd since it would be legal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tunner M in Queens NYC
completed
s13

**DONOTDELETE**
11-14-2001, 01:25 PM
Why the VQ30DE??? The VG30DE has a stronger block, just like the RB series it is iron not aluminum. The VQ30DE is a great engine but, why? When the VG has more aftermarket potential and is $1000's cheaper and can handle more HP. No one has really made a N/A VG30DE perform, but in Europe these same motors when modified in F1 class push over 400hp??? this motor has more potential than most people know...