PDA

View Full Version : 13.4,best parts to shave off a few 10ths 1/4 mile?

kovert
05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
I ran a 13.4 this past weekend, and am trying to figure out what would be the best "Bang for the buck" part to try and get a few more tenths off my 1/4 mile times; Im leaning toward cams, but with a built motor and stock T25, im not sure it would be as effective as something like, a hks wastegate actuator, or..SS mani, or, 3'' turbo extention. IF anyone has any suggestions on which route to go..please let me know.

eeterp
05-24-2004, 10:42 AM
drag radials

BlackBomber
05-24-2004, 10:42 AM
I ran a 13.4 this past weekend, and am trying to figure out what would be the best "Bang for the buck" part to try and get a few more tenths off my 1/4 mile times; Im leaning toward cams, but with a built motor and stock T25, im not sure it would be as effective as something like, a hks wastegate actuator, or..SS mani, or, 3'' turbo extention. IF anyone has any suggestions on which route to go..please let me know.

weight reduction is the cheapest, easiest way to reduce your times. take out your passenger seat, etc.

BlackBomber
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
drag radials

and what he said http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wei240
05-24-2004, 12:01 PM
do both

gatecrasher
05-24-2004, 02:58 PM
i wouldnt bother with weight removal on a street car personally. unless you remove 100+ lbs the difference is fairly insignificant.

I can see there kinda being a point on a car that is right on the border line like myself or blue bombers car.....but i drive my car pretty much every day, and it isnt really worth it to me.

Drag radials would be the smart money

BlackBomber
05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
i wouldnt bother with weight removal on a street car personally. unless you remove 100+ lbs the difference is fairly insignificant.

I can see there kinda being a point on a car that is right on the border line like myself or blue bombers car.....but i drive my car pretty much every day, and it isnt really worth it to me.

Drag radials would be the smart money

yeah, good point. although i drive my car every day its not my daily driver. Just trying to save some money right now with freaking gas prices http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tear.gif I think my wife has ridden in my car twice in a year and a half http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brad
05-24-2004, 03:15 PM
drag radials are nice

a manifold and o2 extension will probably shift your power a bit, might take a few runs to re-lern the car but it might help. althugh with the drag radials, you can shave a few tenths off your 60 foot and hell might even hit the 12s

formulaJEREMY
05-24-2004, 04:39 PM
I just ran a 13.36 @ 105.6 mph this past weekend at Pomona, on some crappy $50 Sumitomos (215/60R15). I was about to go buckwild on the engine, but now I'm tempted to try to tweak it a little bit with what I got to see if I can nail a 12 second mark with just bolt-ons. My 60' was 2.11, so maybe with an LSD, some good tires, and a little suspension tweaking, I can knock it down some more.

One more note, my previous best was 13.56 at Pomona last October. I added some of the SPL aluminum subframe spacers before this race, and I got it down to 13.36 and 13.42. These things are great!

90s13drifter
05-24-2004, 05:21 PM
I assume you've already tried messing with tire pressures. Take out spare tire, car jack, remove rear seats, passenger seat, remove sound deadener from rear of car w/ dry ice. Also, run with less gas in the tank. If its a hatchback remove the rear hatch, that thing is about 70lbs alone.

Its too bad all the weight comes out of the rear of the car though. That was all the free mods I could think of.
You might wanna relocate the battery to the trunk to distribute weight better if you do remove a lot of stuff. The s.s.manifold and 3" all the way back from the turbo will make it spool faster. Drag slicks will definately help it hook up better. What's your 60ft time?

BlackBomber
05-24-2004, 05:24 PM
I just ran a 13.36 @ 105.6 mph this past weekend at Pomona, on some crappy $50 Sumitomos (215/60R15). I was about to go buckwild on the engine, but now I'm tempted to try to tweak it a little bit with what I got to see if I can nail a 12 second mark with just bolt-ons. My 60' was 2.11, so maybe with an LSD, some good tires, and a little suspension tweaking, I can knock it down some more.

One more note, my previous best was 13.56 at Pomona last October. I added some of the SPL aluminum subframe spacers before this race, and I got it down to 13.36 and 13.42. These things are great!

Trust me, it becomes addictive. Trying to find out how fast you can go on the stock motor and turbo that is. I'm at 13.01 and am trying to break 12s friday night.

What are your mods?

kovert
05-24-2004, 07:05 PM
I pulled a 1.9 on 17'' enkei's with open diff and wanli tires ( les schwab special ), using blue bombers launch technique.

that landed me a 13.4@102mph, Im thinking some drag radials and better wastegate actuator that can hold more boost will put me in the high 12's. I need atleast a 1.7 60 foot though.
I also just got the whiteline subframe spacers from my friend; i dont think they will help much because i dont get much; if any wheel hop..but im going to put them in and find out.

gatecrasher
05-24-2004, 07:31 PM
a 13.40 isnt that bad at 102 mph. is your clutch slipping? seems like something is falling off on top end. with the torque your car is making according to your sig, you shouldnt have problems getting 1.70s if your car hooks.

If you get your car in the 12s in current trim, it will be all front 1/8.

Hollywood
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM

2 words

Launch Control.

formulaJEREMY
05-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I thought I was done with drag racing years ago, but I starting going to the NHRA Sport Compact events and now I'm hooked again. I love the NHRA events because I'm usually able to get in a good 15-20 practice runs during the weekend at some very nice tracks, like Pomona. When you can run "round robin" like that, it is much easier to nail down your driving technique.

I have a 93 fastback with a redtop SR20DET. I've got an A'pexi intake and N1 exhaust, GReddy front mount, GReddy downpipe, GReddy Type R BOV, Walbro fuel pump, and Hallman manual boost controller dialed in at 12.5 psi. Suspension wise, I'm running Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX struts, Cusco strut bars, and the SPL aluminum subframe spacers.

kovert
05-25-2004, 12:54 PM
The only thing that is falling off, is boost ( aka power )

It doesnt like to hold.maybe i have a boost leak i need to track down, i'll find out by next event; at my current rate ive been shaving off 2 tenths every time i goto the track, so i'll be happy with a 13.2 http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brad
05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
a new actuator wont help you any, the T25 cant hold boost to redline. youll be seeing .8bar by redline. dont waste your cash on a new actuator, they are like 100 bucks now! its a ripoff, use that for an ebay mani or o2 extension.

anyways good driving though...glad my turbo is workin out for you

kovert
05-25-2004, 01:05 PM
yeah, im starting to think its not worth getting the actuator anyway. maybe i should try some slicks, anyone think i would need to worry about snapping the open diff?

gatecrasher
05-25-2004, 01:40 PM
i think its time to ditch the sidemount........along with the T25 http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

getting into the 12's with the T25 seems to be alot of peoples ambition right now, heh.

The only reason i really persued it was to settle an argument with a guy in town. my car on bald street tires went a 13.40@109 and when i told him i could prolly get it in the 12s with traction, he said there was no way it would go 12's with a 109mph trap speed.........whatever. So i put drag radials on it and went a 13.00@106 on a very humid night.......but very shortly afterwards my T25 started showing signs of dying, and i havent been back to the track yet. Oh well. Im finishing up gathering parts for my GTiR turbo swap as i type this http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

YumGTR
05-25-2004, 02:28 PM
shay, your ET is very good and right on track with your trap speed. a 1.9 60' on a RWD car on street tires is very respectable. I only pulled a 1.7 on my falken azenis sport in vegas in my r32 when my AWD was still working. i hit a 12.7 @ about 115 mph, so I think it has low 12's potential based on my trap speed.

we should be pretty evenly matched once my car is fixed and i actually run it at RMR this summer. want to be my first race?

BlackBomber
05-25-2004, 02:47 PM
getting into the 12's with the T25 seems to be alot of peoples ambition right now, heh.

The only reason i really persued it was to settle an argument with a guy in town.

the reason I'm pursuing it so hard is because i want to see just how fast I can go on the stock turbo. when i was running 13.6 i was thinking to myself "there is no way in hell enjuku went 12.80." Then one night i busted of a 13.0 and was thinking to myself "i was .018 seconds away from running a 12.9X. Enjuku must've really done it. it was 88 degrees out when i went 13.0 so i know i could've been there.

Since my car is strictly a "fun" car I love setting goals and then breaking them. Sure would be nice to have a timeslip and video of my car going 12.XX. silence all the people that don't believe it, which was me back when i first started this.

kovert
05-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Ofcourse, I'd would seriously be my honor to be your first race.

kovert
05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
anyway, i ditched the sidemount after my 13.8, well...sorta.. I got a starion FMIC and extented my SMIC piping to reach it, it seems to be helping alot midrange, and top end. boost seems to come on a tiny bit slower though

gatecrasher
05-25-2004, 06:20 PM
nah, dont get me wrong.....if my turbo hadnt choked, id have taken it back to the track at least a couple more times to see if itd do it. Theres no reason it shouldnt.

chunk
05-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Get yourself a 4.363 ring and pimion set. That will give you some more grunt http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oneslows13
05-25-2004, 08:46 PM
formulaJEREMY,are you the guy with the blue hatch at pomona past weekend?

formulaJEREMY
05-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Yup, that was me with the blue hatch, well actually mostly blue with some gray. I need a freaking paint job aready.

That was the best day I have ever had at Pomona (and I've been going there for 8 years.) The weather was perfect and the track was really sticky, especially wihout the pro cars dropping oil all over the track. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

knate
05-30-2004, 02:10 PM
I pulled a 1.9 on 17'' enkei's with open diff and wanli tires ( les schwab special ), using blue bombers launch technique.

What's blue bomber's launch technique? I need some real help, pushing around 240whp but I'm pretty new to drag racing. Best time is a 13.8 @ 100 at 12psi, then 13.9 @ 105mph with stiff suspension. My launch was something like a 4000rpm clutch slip until it's moving, then full throttle. Best 60' of 2.2 seconds. Suggestions please..

gatecrasher
05-31-2004, 11:48 AM
what tires/suspension/settings?

kovert
05-31-2004, 03:32 PM

What's blue bomber's launch technique? I need some real help, pushing around 240whp but I'm pretty new to drag racing. Best time is a 13.8 @ 100 at 12psi, then 13.9 @ 105mph with stiff suspension. My launch was something like a 4000rpm clutch slip until it's moving, then full throttle. Best 60' of 2.2 seconds. Suggestions please..

rev to 6k, slip to 4800-5000k, then dump it.