PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous+sr20det????

SRpoweredS14
08-24-2004, 06:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had any good luck with squeezing on the sr20det? Any info or suggestions would help friends getting rid of his nitrous kit for DIRT CHEAP and its practically new only used it for awhile thats why i plan on buying it... OHH mods on my car are

SR20det Redtop
Power FC djetro converted map sensor
Blitz FMIC, downpipe
HKS dd intake
Apexi GT Spec exhaust
Koyo radiator
Nismo FPR
Denso Iridium plugs

Hugh
08-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Is he selling it to pay for replacing his engine?

Think about it.

gatecrasher
08-24-2004, 08:00 PM

Think about it.

......that was pretty retarded.

Think about it.

As for your question, is it a wet kit or a dry kit? what brand kit? Theres no reason you shouldnt be able to spray the car with a mild shot. Ive been meaning to install my kit from my WRX forever and have just been too busy to mess with it.

DeatschWerks_Dave
08-24-2004, 08:06 PM
I think nitrous and turbos go togethe perfectly!
turbos make heat... nitrous cools intake charges
turbos take time to spool... nitrous is instantaneous

chriskelchner
08-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Nitrous is complety safe....when used right. Just read up on it before you use it if you havnt already. As stated before it cools the charge and also you can use it to help spool. NOS just came out with pressure switchs that turn off the nitrous when a certain psi is hit. Combine that with a window switch and your set.

SRpoweredS14
08-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Ohhh yeah sorry about that its a wet system from nitrous express i wanna squeeze a 30 shot but no more than 50.. i heard when u squeeze a boosted motor it actually doubles so if i squeeze a 30 shot its actually a 60 is this true? Oh and as for the timing should i keep it at 15 or retard it?Im not a rookie with nitrous my other car i squeezed on so i know how to install and use it.

TheRiotHero
08-25-2004, 02:49 AM
ive acctually been contemplating a 100 shot direct port system even tho the car is a drift car, theres alot of american iron her ein detroit, gotta earn some respect http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW: youll be flowing alot of air for that little T25, exhaust manifold pressure will be real high with spray and boost, probably pop manifold and turbo gaskets. might consider a bigger turbo first.

TheRiotHero
08-25-2004, 03:16 AM
i dont get it, nitrous doesnt blow motors, people who dont know how to use nitrous blow motors, think about it.

nitrous is probably less wear on an engine if its well tuned then turbo, turbo is constant, nitrous is only when you want it. 100% safe in the right hands. i know more guys blowing motors from from boost spikes and other turbo related problems then nitrous. by proabbly 15 to 1

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Nah.....when it comes down to it, i know more people who have hurt stuff due to nitrous than turbo. It all depends on how you treat it though. You can destroy an N/A car...... Nitrous is just a lil more volatile, and you have less time to react to things gone wrong with a nitrous setup.

As for the NX kit, be careful with it. They've had problems in the past with fuel puddling due to the nozzle design and the piece that it passes through into the intake tract. Nitrous backfire will destroy all kinds of expensive $hit on a turbocharged car.

DeatschWerks_Dave
08-25-2004, 07:47 AM
i heard when u squeeze a boosted motor it actually doubles so if i squeeze a 30 shot its actually a 60 is this true?

I'm not sure but I would think that is only true if you are pushing 1 bar of boost. So at 2 bar that 30 shot would be a 90shot????

anyone know for sure?

Hugh
08-25-2004, 09:44 AM

Think about it.

......that was pretty retarded.

Think about it.

As for your question, is it a wet kit or a dry kit? what brand kit? Theres no reason you shouldnt be able to spray the car with a mild shot. Ive been meaning to install my kit from my WRX forever and have just been too busy to mess with it.

No, that wasn't retarded. It was spoken from my experience. I've seen people selling Nitrous kits for cheap in the past. Everytime they're asked why, they say they can't afford to rebuild their engine... so they're selling the kit, as its what led to blowing the motor.

I didn't realize it was politically incorrect to say something bad about nitrous. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Oh no, Hugh said something bad about nitrous. Hell, you don't need it... no, most people haven't had a lot of luck with it... and with turbo, whats the freakin point, anyway?

Far too many people have no idea what they're doing and blow the hell out of their motors with it. If you need to come on here and ask if its a good idea, you shouldn't be putting it on your engine. If you're putting it on, you should already know its going to work well, and know how to make it work well. (ie: have a friend or shop who can tune it and has experience with it)

Rookies + Nitrous = Blown motors.

But hey, don't listen to me... I'm retarded.

CA19DET
08-25-2004, 10:14 AM
well i have a friend that ran a 200hp (no lie) shot on a BONE stock SR20DET from a S14, standard t25 and all, it eventually shreaded his engine, but that was because of poor fuel pick up and low fuel in the tank making him run lean while on the nitrous.. but he was running haltech and busted into the 11's eventually with slicks with this set up..

Hugh
08-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Sounds like it was a fun ride, for a little while.

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 01:07 PM
i heard when u squeeze a boosted motor it actually doubles so if i squeeze a 30 shot its actually a 60 is this true?

I'm not sure but I would think that is only true if you are pushing 1 bar of boost. So at 2 bar that 30 shot would be a 90shot????

anyone know for sure?

Wow............maybe you shouldnt put the kit on your car.

Hugh
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
So gatecrasher, would you now like to retract your initial response to my first reply?

You're seeing my point.

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 01:18 PM
No, that wasn't retarded. It was spoken from my experience. I've seen people selling Nitrous kits for cheap in the past. Everytime they're asked why, they say they can't afford to rebuild their engine... so they're selling the kit, as its what led to blowing the motor.

I didn't realize it was politically incorrect to say something bad about nitrous. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Oh no, Hugh said something bad about nitrous. Hell, you don't need it... no, most people haven't had a lot of luck with it... and with turbo, whats the freakin point, anyway?

Far too many people have no idea what they're doing and blow the hell out of their motors with it. If you need to come on here and ask if its a good idea, you shouldn't be putting it on your engine. If you're putting it on, you should already know its going to work well, and know how to make it work well. (ie: have a friend or shop who can tune it and has experience with it)

Rookies + Nitrous = Blown motors.

But hey, don't listen to me... I'm retarded.

your first response was retarded. Had you actually posted some sort of informed opinion about it, instead of just saying "NaWZ is baaaad", it wouldnt have been.

I understand where you're coming from, but it seems like theres a lot you could learn about what nitrous could actually do for your car before saying "you dont need it" or its useless.

DeatschWerks_Dave
08-25-2004, 02:08 PM

If that was directed towards me...

I have no immediate plans to put nitrous on my SR. I know I have quite a bit to research before doing it. This would be a great opportunity for you to share your great wealth of wisdon instead of being an ass.

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 02:54 PM

If that was directed towards me...

I have no immediate plans to put nitrous on my SR. I know I have quite a bit to research before doing it. This would be a great opportunity for you to share your great wealth of wisdon instead of being an ass.

Sorry, that was directed to the original poster, but you pretty much mirrored his response. What exactly makes you think that boost would have any effect on how a nitrous systems jetting works?

Not trying to be an ass, but do you understand HOW a nitrous system works?

SRpoweredS14
08-25-2004, 03:20 PM
As for the NX kit, be careful with it. They've had problems in the past with fuel puddling due to the nozzle design and the piece that it passes through into the intake tract. Nitrous backfire will destroy all kinds of expensive $hit on a turbocharged car.

What nozzle brand would you recommend?

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 03:34 PM
NOS and compucar are ok.

Hugh
08-25-2004, 05:16 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but it seems like theres a lot you could learn about what nitrous could actually do for your car before saying "you dont need it" or its useless.

OK, I'll retract that, then.

If you have a stock SR20DET, you don't need Nitrous. Try building a well rounded system that includes a larger turbo, and hark! The power is there.

Going off the initial post, I see someone with a stock motor who will throw on a nitrous kit a go yippee!! until it blows. Then he's screwed.

If you're pushing 500, 600hp and want to put on Nitrous, I wouldn't give you a hard time about it then. But why stack on another power adder when you haven't explored the abilities of the first one yet? Mistakes cause problems to rise exponentially when you stack them.

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 06:07 PM
that seems kinda backwards to me...........but ok.

Ive seen several cars do extremely well with nitrous and stock turbos. My WRX was un****withable out of the hole on the gas. The way i look at it is properly setup, a car that makes 350rwhp with nitrous and a smaller turbo will be quicker than one that makes 350rwhp on turbo alone. The additional torque can be put to great use with real tires.

To each their own.........maybe one day i'll get around to putting my wet kit on the car. I need some tires before i do anything though.

Nikeboy355
08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
"all turbo" and "turbo + nitrous" aside, having enough fuel and some engine management will be the key... It is hard enough for many people to grasp the idea of tuning, AFR, wideband, etc. and then on top of that adding another variable like nitrous?... I think Hugh was trying to make a point about those guys who run to the store, pick up the cheapest nitrous kit and just start hitting the button without thoroughly understanding how it works and what harm it can do... I swear after Fast and Furious you could open your window and hear the Civics detonating all over the country... The poster of this thread does not sound like he is a tuner but just a guy who is going to get a good deal on a nitrous kit and you should never buy engine parts because they are cheap... Buy them because you have planned for your setup to be like that...

gatecrasher
08-25-2004, 06:37 PM
you dont need any additional "tuning" hardware for a nitrous kit. Tuning is done through changes in jet sizing and bottle pressure, combined with changes in base timing (if need be). The only additional "fuel" u need is a good fuel pump. the additional fuel is supplied through the nozzle (in a wet kit....which is all you should consider with a turbo car). So stock injectors are fine.

Nikeboy355
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
I haven't had much experience with nitrous (other than rigging a dry kit onto a rental Saturn http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) but the main point I wanted to make is that it is not for the uninformed rookie consumer... it's like explaining to a person with a bone stock SR20 why you can't crank the boost up to 20lbs. without any other mods... The pros know what they are doing except I am sure a good chunk(or maybe the majority?) of people who buy nitrous kits saw it on TV and got all hyped up... For gods sakes, I have 14 year olds that come up to me all the time to ask me if I have "NOS"...

Hugh
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
that seems kinda backwards to me...........but ok.

Ive seen several cars do extremely well with nitrous and stock turbos. My WRX was un****withable out of the hole on the gas. The way i look at it is properly setup, a car that makes 350rwhp with nitrous and a smaller turbo will be quicker than one that makes 350rwhp on turbo alone. The additional torque can be put to great use with real tires.

To each their own.........maybe one day i'll get around to putting my wet kit on the car. I need some tires before i do anything though.

I know a guy who had that sort of setup and drag raced a lot. We compared time slips and could see where he would take me before the 330ft. After that it would've been all over. So like you said, outta the hole he would rule.

I guess its all up to you what you want to do. For me, the power that can be made with turbo alone will suffice quite well. Putting Nitrous on a stock motor to make more power is like half-stepping it. It's cheap power, and for the masses - it leads to blown engines.

Irie_eyes
08-26-2004, 01:30 AM
If you have a stock SR20DET, you don't need Nitrous. Try building a well rounded system that includes a larger turbo, and hark! The power is there.

I've seen a lot of not well-rounded turbo setups, and even if they say, I can point out it's not.
Starting with head porting. I've read a lot of people saying you're better off with a bigger turbo.
Why? Why not make a more efficient turbo setup rather than a less efficient one with a bigger or more efficient turbo? Head porting ain't gonna hurt when you upgrade to a larger turbo later, it's gonna help.
Adding on one more efficient piece to the setup ain't gonna make it entirely more efficient, only moderately. Try and get most of what you got in a forward-progressive way like doing stuff now that will still help in the future.
Increasing efficiency that works only in a narrow rpm range ain't that efficient, unless that rpm range is the intended operating range.

As for nitrous, you do need to know what you are doing, and fuel deliver is an issue. And some kits IMHO aren't the greatest in terms of safeguards.
Some people don't understand that solenoids can fail, so care must be taken prior to nitrous use.
Example would be having the car at idle and slowly opening the nitrous bottle. If the idle changes then you have a failing nitrous solenoid.
Make sure the wiring is done well and can't fail. All you need is a fuel solenoid failing when the nitrous is engaged (wet systems).
Just think "boost in a bottle". You're gonna have to make sure you can supply the fuel and you get the ignition timing to retard.
You can't just slam a bunch of nitrous on a stock motor at low rpm under full load.