The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grubbs Customer Service? Have they grown too big?

Grubbs Customer Service? Have they grown too big?

After reading through the posts regarding the driver side battery covers, clear corners, and my own personal experience, I must ask a simple question:

Has Grubbs Performance grown too big, too fast?

I remember when they were pioneers for bringing out new products to the G community. Danny Mayer answered all of our questions, offered great deals, dedicated himself on informing everyone regarding upcoming changes/products, and simply focusing on customer service.

Now they've launched a new parts dedicated website, create their own product line, and sponsor individual's all within a couple of months. Has this growth come too fast?

My other question...

Will Grubbs consider changing their policy on customer billing?

I've ordered many parts from other vendors and their policy is that the credit card is NOT billed until the item is SHIPPED. This way if there are delays, there's no hard feelings since the customer hasn't been charged for the item.

Currently the customer is immediately billed, regardless of when the item is expected to ship.

Thank you for your time...

Vinh

p.s. i also provided my email to John, requesting an invoice for my order but like the other customer, never received any email.

Re: Grubbs Customer Service? Have they grown too big?

I agree. My card was charged immediately and then I find out that my clear corners are on backorder and no shipping date is known. And, they only way I found out anything about the shipment was to finally PM dfw_infinti who had someone call me.

Re: Grubbs Customer Service? Have they grown too

Charging payment before shipping is a scam billing practice!

To me Grubbs is the good guys. If you are having problems, I recommend you call Carvey Parker in parts. He's a great guy to work with and Super Helpful.

Lou

Hmmm, go down to your local dealer and order a part. You'll find they will expect payment on the spot, and I've been told a part may be 2-3 months off and may not even come in ever, but we'll need that CC anyway.

The point Danny made is that they are on legacy systems that all dealers use. He was pretty clear that the investment to tie into a newer separate system would eat any discounts you might expect.

Grubbs is a big (busy) dealer, but they arent some huge shadowy corporation that is unreachable. For an actual dealer, they totally kick much a$$. Just go to your local one to see the difference.

The fact that you know all the names of everyone handling your order should speak volumes for their commitment to their customers. And no, not everything I've purchased or had done at Grubbs went perfectly. But, I cant complain because they made every effort to make sure I was satisfied with the outcome. I really cant ask for more because not only am I getting 10x better service than my local (often not busy at all) dealer, but I'm also getting a substantial discount.

Gotta back Grubbs here. I've ordered several items from them, including items that I asked to cancel or change shipping on after my initial order. Every time the satff was great and everything went smooth. I knew that if for some reason it didn't or if I had a question, I could just email or call Carvey and he would take care of it. The charging of the CC might bother me if all the other customer service aspects didn't exist at Grubbs, but they do and I think that out weighs my small concern about billing. Plus, it sounds like they can't do much about that due to the Infiniti system they are tied into.

Other that 'disagreeing' with DFW and his politics in the off topic section I have never had a bad experience witrh Grubbs and highly recomend them.

Fair enough...

Grubbs has had such a great reputation on this board, so that is why I expected so much when making an order.

Okay...CC gets billed before item is shipped. If that is expected, so be it.

I go down to my local dealer and pay for an item. I know right there and then if the item is in stock. If not, I know I need to wait. The dealer won't tell me it is in stock, have me pay for it, and then say, "Whoops, we sold it to someone else".

Okay...they have an old system and it will cost $100,000 to upgrade it. As Danny writes, they have had about three hiccups. What happens as more people order and they continue to grow? Are they accepting the fact that it's okay that they screw up one customer's order, even though it may be 1 in 1000?

Others say Grubbs will make it right. I wait. My previous order with them went smoothly.

The part I ordered, that is no longer in stock, IS STILL being sold online. There should be a big fat BACKORDER watermark, like they have for the clear corners.

And Grubbs is the only one selling this item for a great price, so that is why I'm sticking with this order.

I feel since they have my money and I don't have my product, I have this right to complain and post my experience

My order amounts to a measly $75. I can only imagine how pissed off I would be if it was a $3000 set of wheels or $5000 supercharger

Carvey still work at Grubbs? I dealt with him previously and he replied to my emails when I had product inquiries within a day or two. Maybe Carvey has left? I dealt with John for my order and also spoke to a Tim (?) from the parts dept.

Your suggestions are definitely valid.
    My friend (hans007 here) is also having the same issues with them. Charged the next day - no products or emails till 3 weeks.

After making 2 orders with Grubbs, I will NEVER order from them again. Their free shipping for F/A members is crap.

After making 2 orders with Grubbs, I will NEVER order from them again. Their free shipping for F/A members is crap.
    there was free shipping?

i dont even mind that the clears are backordered, i'd just like some sort of email or something telling me they are. hell the reason i ordered from there, was i asked what good clears that were JDM were and danny replied to my thread a while back. oh well... i hope this gets cleared up.

Their free shipping for F/A members is crap.
    Yup. When I ordered my satellite radio, I put my FA club ID on the order, but I noticed they charged me for shipping. I replied to my confirmation E-mail by saying "Hey- y'all charged me for shipping, I'm an FA member, could I please get a CC credit." No response. Since this was over Thanksgiving, I waited two weeks before I E-mailed 'em again. No response. I hit 'em up one more time. No response. It wasn't 'till after I'd gotten my bill (so's I could dispute it) and sent them (to the same E-mail addresses as before) that I was going to contest the bill that I got a series of frantic calls from someone in parts.

I don't know the method that they use to determine FA members, or if they even care, but I wouldn't expect to save on billing if I were an FA member.

just so you guys know, the FA discount is for club members. It is a paid membership. Are you guys part of that club?

at first it kinda confused me, but then I realized that regular posters to this forum do not get free shipping.

if you guys are part of the club and they still charged you, then it's just another hiccup consumers have to deal with.

Are you guys part of that club?
    Yes. I even got my hat (finally!) this week.

After reading through the posts regarding the driver side battery covers, clear corners, and my own personal experience, I must ask a simple question:

Has Grubbs Performance grown too big, too fast?

I remember when they were pioneers for bringing out new products to the G community. Danny Mayer answered all of our questions, offered great deals, dedicated himself on informing everyone regarding upcoming changes/products, and simply focusing on customer service.

Now they've launched a new parts dedicated website, create their own product line, and sponsor individual's all within a couple of months. Has this growth come too fast?

My other question...

Will Grubbs consider changing their policy on customer billing?

I've ordered many parts from other vendors and their policy is that the credit card is NOT billed until the item is SHIPPED. This way if there are delays, there's no hard feelings since the customer hasn't been charged for the item.

Currently the customer is immediately billed, regardless of when the item is expected to ship.

Thank you for your time...

Vinh

p.s. i also provided my email to John, requesting an invoice for my order but like the other customer, never received any email.
    I have instructed the parts department to issue an immediate refund to you plus 10% for you inconvenience. We have no intention of changing the way we process orders and obviously our process is unacceptable to you.

Best of luck to you.

Charging payment before shipping is a scam billing practice!
    I thought so too.. I guess I just heard it one too many times on the internet.. so I decided to look it up..

Federal Trade Commission - Billed for Merchandise You Never Received

The parts which I found interesting were:

In addition, many credit card issuers have policies against merchants charging a credit card account before shipment. If you think a merchant charged your account prematurely, report it to the credit card issuer. Otherwise, the credit card issuer has no way to know that the merchant is not complying with its policies.

To me, it sounds like its not a "scam" or necessarily illegal.. only that some credit card issuers may not "like" it and have rules or restrictions against it.. but this statement makes it sound like its not necessarily "common practice" even

The Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule
    This rule covers merchandise you order by mail, telephone, computer and fax. It requires merchants to have a reasonable basis for claiming they can ship an order within a certain time.

Ship Dates

By law, a merchant should ship your order within the time stated in its ads or over the phone. If the merchant doesn't promise a time, you can expect it to ship your order within 30 days.
    So even without a stated shipping date, I guess you have to give them 30 days.. at which time:

If the merchant is unable to ship within the promised time, it must notify you by mail, telephone, or email, give a revised shipping date and give you the chance to cancel for a full refund or accept the new shipping date.
    I'm not saying anyone is wrong or whatever, just thought others may find it interesting and to clear up any misconceptions ..

To me Grubbs is the good guys. If you are having problems, I recommend you call Carvey Parker in parts. He's a great guy to work with and Super Helpful.

Lou
    Carvey left Grubbs well over a year ago if I'm not mistaken.

and returned 2 months ago

Oh didn't know he came back. DFW scene has been pretty dead, so I don't keep up with Grubbs much. This is my first time back to Fresh Alloy in a few months also.

and returned 2 months ago
    Carvey is still in school. He works here when he is out and now that he is back in school he is gone again. Will be back next Summer.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still wanted to keep my order. I still need those clips you guys special ordered.

AGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I hope that teaches everyone a lesson when it comes to making comments or questioning how someone runs their business.

"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

I'm sorry you decided to cancel my order. I still wanted to purchase these items from Grubbs, just wanted to comment to other forum members my experience.

I believe my comments and questions were valid ones. I did not demean (?) you or your company. Everything I said was meant to be constructive criticism, one you could choose to ignore or not. It is unfortunate that you chose to cancel my order over those comments.

I would have liked to receive those items that I ordered. I guess you have the right to refuse service, and have decided to do so. If your decision is final, then thank you for your time and thoughtful responses.

When you do receive another shipment of double din finishers, please let me know. I would like to re-order them when they are in stock so as to that run into this situation again, that is if you will accept my business in the future. As for the clips, I guess I'll go to a local dealership and have them order it for me.

BUT, if you have not processed my refund, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra couple of days (runs with tail between leg).

Sincerely,

Vinh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast