The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treo 650 BT connection to M??

Treo 650 BT connection to M??

Hello everyone,

I didn't know if anyone yet had tried to pair the Treo 650 with the infiniti bluetooth handsfree?

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Treo 650 BT connection to M??

Yup. Works fine. Make sure you install the Palm BT carkit update. Do a search in this forum for more details (sorry, I'm on my Treo right now, otherwise I'd do it for you)

Does it show caller-id info, and signal strength?

Sorry, I only placed a call and did not try receiving one. And I don't remember about the signal strength either. Not much help. I'll try to get out to my dealer either today or over the weekend and see if I can get you an answer.

However, the first function should be independent of the phone. Anyone know for sure? Does it have true caller ID functionality passed to it by the phone or does it only map to the addresses held in car's memory?

With my Sony Ericcson T616, it only shows the phone number and the phonebook is independent of what is on the phone/SIM card. I would assume that if the incoming number is in the M's phonebook, it will show that name. I'll test it tomorrow and post my findings if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Oh yeah, and it does show signal strength.

With my Sony Ericcson T616, it only shows the phone number and the phonebook is independent of what is on the phone/SIM card. I would assume that if the incoming number is in the M's phonebook, it will show that name. I'll test it tomorrow and post my findings if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Oh yeah, and it does show signal strength.
    Yes, but the BT is not the standard that everyone thinks it is....there are a lot of problems with BT smartphones and handsfree link systems. I have a Motorola V600, A630, and Sony T610, they all work, but few have been able to link a BT smartphone with a handsfree car system, and when it does link, very, very few have been able to show the signal strength.

I work in IT and as such I get to play with a lot of phones. In the last 3 months I've used 5 bluetooth phones and tried to link each of them with my 2005 RL. I've had limited success with all. The best was the Moto Razr. It showed signal strength and worked pretty well all around. It only dropped the connection 2 or 3 times in about 30 calls. I also used a Blackberry 7290 and it worked fairly well. Not as good as the Razr, as it tended to disconnect more often, but overall it was usable. The phone I am using now is a Cingular Treo 650. I also used a Sprint Treo 650 with the car and the Sprint worked a little better than the Cingular. Not sure why since the implementation is supposed to be the same, but there are differences in the Bluetooth interface on those two phones so something must be different. Both of these phones worked in a limited manner. Incoming calls were very difficult to pick up and often dropped, taking the call to the handset and then reconnecting with the car. Also calling out worked very sporatically unless you did it from the car interface. If you dialed from teh phone and tried to connect to the car it would only work 50% of the time.

I also tried a Moto MPx220 and it woudln't work at all.

I totally agree that this implemenation of Bluetooth is very early. I'm hoping the M45 Sport I have on order works better than my 2005 RL did in this area. However, I'm not holding out hope since I know this version of BT is 1.0 as they say and as such there are many bugs.

I work in IT and as such I get to play with a lot of phones. In the last 3 months I've used 5 bluetooth phones and tried to link each of them with my 2005 RL. I've had limited success with all. The best was the Moto Razr. It showed signal strength and worked pretty well all around. It only dropped the connection 2 or 3 times in about 30 calls. I also used a Blackberry 7290 and it worked fairly well. Not as good as the Razr, as it tended to disconnect more often, but overall it was usable. The phone I am using now is a Cingular Treo 650. I also used a Sprint Treo 650 with the car and the Sprint worked a little better than the Cingular. Not sure why since the implementation is supposed to be the same, but there are differences in the Bluetooth interface on those two phones so something must be different. Both of these phones worked in a limited manner. Incoming calls were very difficult to pick up and often dropped, taking the call to the handset and then reconnecting with the car. Also calling out worked very sporatically unless you did it from the car interface. If you dialed from teh phone and tried to connect to the car it would only work 50% of the time.

I also tried a Moto MPx220 and it woudln't work at all.

I totally agree that this implemenation of Bluetooth is very early. I'm hoping the M45 Sport I have on order works better than my 2005 RL did in this area. However, I'm not holding out hope since I know this version of BT is 1.0 as they say and as such there are many bugs.
    Well my wife has a 04 TL, and that is about the most tempermentle BT car kit out there I believe. The system in the M is much, much more stable. On the Cingular Treo 650 did you update it with Palm's BT update patch? Supposedly that fixed many of the issues. I have tested quite a few phones in both the M and the TL, and the M so far as always shown the signal strength for all of the phones tested whereas the TL would with certain phones, and wouldn't for others (ie Nokia).

Yes I did apply the BT patch to both Treo 650s, one from Sprint and the other from Cingular. The phones didn't really work at all before that patch.

Connected my Moto V551... in about 4 minutes. While dealer was going over the vehicle... I accepted my first call. It works flawlessly. Although, I am not totally satisfied with the speaker quality of the voice calls in the car. The others can hear me fine... but the phone sound is kind of hard to hear.

In over 1000 miles of driving and about 20 calls, I have had not problems with reception. The signal strength meter shows up on the car screen all the time. The buttons are intuitive.

The only thing I can not do yet... and maybe someone has an answer for... is how to manipulate buttons once a call is established with phonemail or voicemail, etc. Also, need to know if you can script a call.. so when I say "voicemail"... it dials through and enters my password, etc. to hear voicemails.

I just bought a new m45 sport, and have a Cingular Treo 650 with the carkit update. I can pair up ok, and I was able to get a call, but it seems like the phone is constantly connecting and disconnecting. Isn't it supposed to stay connected once you are in range and connected? Or does it connect on the fly when you get a call?

thanks, roland

How do you know it's connecting and disconnecting? What happens to tell you that? I believe the way that it works is that the systems recognize that they both trust each other and they wait for events (driven by the phone or the handsfree device) to connect and complete the action. So your phone receives a call, it wakes up and tells the car hands free device that there is a call and you can hit the hands free connect button and the call is connected. if you decide to dial a voice tag from teh hands free device, you hit the selected button, the hands free does the action and connects to the phone to make the call. it's all done on the fly.

Its says "Treo 650 Connected", then about thirty seconds later, it says "Treo 650 Disconnected". This is with me doing nothing, and no incoming/outgoing calls.

I also have a K700i (Sony Ericisson) so I put my sim back into that, and it pairs and works perfectly the m45. No constant connect/disconnect, just a solid connect with the blue tooth icon in the top right of the nav display, along with the signal strength.

Might need another handsfree update from Palm to work better? Anyone else using a 650 with Cingular GSM?

thanks, roland

I just got my Unbranded Treo 650 from palmone this week. I am experiencing the same problems. When you first turn on the car, the unit pairs with the M, then takes about 20-30 sec and disconnects. When you receive a call it reconnects to the M so that you can answer the call. I have found that to place a call you can either (1) dial from the handset, (2) press the phone button on the instrument panel, or (3) press and hold the phone button on the steering wheel, and the phone will connect again, then you can place your voice call. The only frustrating thing is after each time you end a call the phone disconnects again. So if you are trying to dial a number and it is busy, this is quite frustrating, because each time you hang-up from the phone the phone disconnects, and then you have to reconnect the phone again to redial the number....over and over and over again until it rings on the line. Hopefully Palm will release another car kit update to resolve this issue.

Scott

I used my Sprint Treo 650 (with patch) for about 20 minutes in the M35 and it worked just fine. I didn't notice any connect/disconnects, but I wasn't looking for them either. I both placed and received calls just fine.

What you guys are seeing with the disconnect / connect stuff is what I saw with my RL before I applied the bluetooth patch to the Treo. Are you sure the patch applied right? I surly hope the 650 works with the M45 Sport. It's something that has really miffed me with the RL.

What you guys are seeing with the disconnect / connect stuff is what I saw with my RL before I applied the bluetooth patch to the Treo. Are you sure the patch applied right? I surly hope the 650 works with the M45 Sport. It's something that has really miffed me with the RL.
    I have the Unlocked GSM Treo 650 from PalmOne. They applied that patches before they sent out the unlocked version, because if you have a patched version of the Treo, and do a hard-reset, you will have to apply the patch again, as it will be discarded with the hard reset. The phone still works with the M, it just needs a little tweaking.

Scott

I don't believe that is correct. The roaming and carkit patches for the CDMA versions are written to same memory sector as the OS and resident files. These survive a hard reset.

I have the Unlocked GSM Treo 650 from PalmOne. They applied that patches before they sent out the unlocked version, because if you have a patched version of the Treo, and do a hard-reset, you will have to apply the patch again, as it will be discarded with the hard reset. The phone still works with the M, it just needs a little tweaking.

Scott

I don't believe that is correct. The roaming and carkit patches for the CDMA versions are written to same memory sector as the OS and resident files. These survive a hard reset.

Scott

Not according to PalmOne and TreoCentral.com

Not according to PalmOne and TreoCentral.com
    That is a pretty all encompassing statement! I love TreoCentral, but there is also a lot of fluff there. They also announced that the Sprint firmware patch was coming last week (not). I've put in several Custom ROMs on our Treo650's and have never reloaded the ROM patches.

Here is what Palm One says about the roaming patch:

Once the patch is complete, you can delete the application from your smartphone. The effects of the patch will remain after you delete the application. If your device is ever erased completely, the effects of the patch will remain; you should not need to re-install the patch after running once.

I couldn't find the same statement re the car patch at the PalmOne site, but the question was asked at Shadowmite.com (the ultimate authority re ROMs other than the ever silent PalmOne). No answer was posted. However, I do now believe you may be right on this one....although I have not reloaded either patch after several hard resets. I guess the ultimate test will be when I next sit in an M....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast