The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G35 Front Strutt Tower brace

G35 Front Strutt Tower brace

I have finally finished having the jigs made for this G35 front mount strut tower brace. It is made of aircraft grade 4130 chromeoly and it is powder coated. It is strong and relatively light. They seem to fit on most after market CAI as well as the stock intake box. This strut bar mounts to the actual suspension (instead of the sheet metal) for the best rigidity and support possible for increased handling. I am going to produce these for sale, available through Relentless Autosports. They bolt on with the existing holes and the provided hardware. The install is not too complicated, with the only hard part being the replacing of the (longer) front upper control arm bolt.

Here is the finished and installed STB. It fits great and leaves access to the oil fill cap and dipstick no problem (even with the removable center section in place). Here is some pics of the STB on Eagle 1's (a customer's) car that we put on yesterday...........

If anyone is interested in one of these, e-mail me at wa2good@hotmail.com

Thanks

Re: G35 Front Strutt Tower brace

Scott:
    The most important part....what is the feel of the car before and after that installation with respect to the torsional twisting and rigidity?

Scott:
    The most important part....what is the feel of the car before and after that installation with respect to the torsional twisting and rigidity?
    Yes please, how does this bar improve the suspension? What color finish does the installed bar have and will your production bars have the same color finish? Thanks.

Scott:
    Yes please, how does this bar improve the suspension? What color finish does the installed bar have and will your production bars have the same color finish? Thanks.
    This bar, sorta like a sway bar, adds torsional rigidity in the front of the car and will increase handeling and stability.

The production color and finish will be a powder coated gloss black finish. For a little more money, I could have it done most any color (or possibly chrome)

Scott:
    Ed, you are correct. The car does feel much more sure-footed and solid with the bar installed than without.

Scott,
    Will this STB fit over an installed 350Z engine cover and plenum spacer?

I've been searching 'hi-and-lo' for a Coupe engine/front STB - was waiting for the Top Secret version, but that won't be hitting production for a while (I don't believe...)

Dark Energy Rules

WA2GOOD -

Do you recommend getting the rear strut tower brace when installing this as well? My coupe is almost perfectly balanced now - with a 'skoosh' more push since the car is still a daily driver. So I'm wondering if installing one or the other strut brace might throw the handling off a bit?

(FYI - I do have EDFC on my Flex so some dampening adjustment can be done.)

- Riff

WA2GOOD -

Do you recommend getting the rear strut tower brace when installing this as well? My coupe is almost perfectly balanced now - with a 'skoosh' more push since the car is still a daily driver. So I'm wondering if installing one or the other strut brace might throw the handling off a bit?

- Riff
    Riff,
    I've installed the Tein Flex's and Stillen Rear STB - no handling issues, whatsoever. The car handles perfectly...

Scott,
    Will this STB fit over an installed 350Z engine cover and plenum spacer?

I've been searching 'hi-and-lo' for a Coupe engine/front STB - was waiting for the Top Secret version, but that won't be hitting production for a while (I don't believe...)

Yes, me too, I have been wanting and waiting for someone to come out with one as well, that hasn't happened so I just decided to do it myself.(patience has never been my strong point) I knew it was going to be a big undertaking before I started on it, but I didn't know just how big. (not easy to say the least)

It will fit with the Z engine cover you have on your car, but you will need to cut and modify the cover a little. We have done it before. The plenum spacer is fine and not an issue.

Scott:
    This STB will brace the front strut and suspension areas thus eliminating (in a big way) alot of the chassis flex and torsional twist that the G is known for. (compared to the Z)

This (pictured above) STB is powder coated in a satin chrome (silverish) with a powder coat clear coat. The production ones are finished in a powder coat gloss black. This will be the standard color. I can also use other (available) colors or possibly chrome for a little added coast and wait time.

WA2GOOD -

- Riff
    Installing both F & R STB will be fine and is recommended. If you only had the choice to go with either the front or rear You would definitely get a better benefit out of doing the front the most. The front flex on a G was in desperate need of a brace.

Scott, I am thoroughly impressed! That looks like a quality piece made out of high grade materials. To be honest, the lack of stiffness in the front end of the G has been the single biggest complaint I have about it from a track-standpoint. This car needs a STB almost as much as Cheney needs a gun safety course...

From a stress and strain standpoint, are you concerned that the long runs and sharp angles from the suspension mounting points to the horizontal bar may cause the welds near the bar to see a heck of a load? Could gusseting between the mount for the horizontal bar and the connector tubes help? Don't get me wrong-- there's no other way to design it given space limitations, but I'm worried about how much strain the pieces other than the horizontal bar will see.

--6MT4me

Thanks for the complament. I completly understand your concerns. It is a very solid piece, we will just have to see.

As for now, I have put several miles on this STB. I felt the difference right out of the driveway. The chassis flex is MUCH better, I knew it was an issue with the G's, but I never knew just how much of an issue until now. This car was needing a STB bad, IMO. Having this brace installed lets the suspension do the work it was designed to do without all the chassis flex getting in the way. If you have a upgraded suspension it really lets you utilize it much more. Turn in is much more sure footed and accurate with this brace. I had a strong feeling that these cars needed a strut tower brace, I just never knew just how bad.

Track testing and impressions are next (Friday) stay tuned.....................

If any car is going to put enough stress on the STB to crack the welds it will be Eagle1's on race rubber, so I can't think of a better test platform than the one you have. Personally, I'm extremely interested in one of these, so let's hope next Friday goes well!

--6MT4me

Just to make sure there is no doubt, we are going to put Scott behind the wheel and run.........Streets of Willow. Not an ideal track for the powerplant, but a huge test of handling and stability. If we don't break that bar on that oversized kart track, it should be proven well. We will try to get some video from inside and outside as well.

I'm greatly looking forward to the video! Eagle1, have you considered how cool video would look just before the braking zones of mile-long straights at Road America? It's calling your name buddy! The Osthoff resort is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at, and the only road-racing track with more reputation than RA is the Nurburgring!

--6MT4me

I LOVE Road America. Did the advanced Skippy School there for two days, and stayed at the Osthoff. Super nice place. But....wow does it ever look like it spends six months a year under the snow!!
    That race track in a high horsepower car would be the absolute Ultimate, both in adrenaline rush and pucker factor. Especially coming down out of the Moraine sweep and then in the Kink, and then approaching the Canada Corner. Especially the Canada Corner....you get so wicked fast through there that it is hard to describe. I don't think the approach to turn 1 after that long uphill chug would be too scary, but while very little throttle adjustment is needed in those Formula Dodge cars, it would be a whole new ball game pushing 450+rwhp into that turn.

Trucking the beast all the way across the country. To get to RA it is almost worth it. Maybe make it an "endless summer" circuit of the great tracks in the US. Dreaming for now.

Actually, for now, I just want my mitts on the car. She is coming up to me tomorrow on a trailer. Then Friday we go shake her out a little bit, like a doggie getting out of the bathtub wash, at a twisty course like Streets. Then to a show and probably some follow up tuning. And then, to a fast track. Not RA, but I agree with you that practically nothing is RA. However...if you are coming to the west, give me some shout and I will share with you my run schedule, and maybe you can tack on to the trip a coordination with one of the track runs and ride shotgun for a while. Chicken soup for the racer's soul. This year I plan to run Big Willow, Reno Fernley, Spring Mountain Pahrump, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, California Speedway with the Roval (!), Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, Sears Point, and maybe at the very end we will get another crack at Laguna Seca in Monterey.

Dark Energy Rules

My favorite part of RA is the high-G wind in The Carousel through the gut-check of The Kink, then sliding (not too much though!) onto the semi-supersonic snake through the Kettle Bottoms and finally the screeching climb through the Canada Corner, up through Thunder Valley and under the Billy Mitchell Bridge! Whew!

I guess the thrill comes from trying to take that high-velocity real estate and fashion it into one flowing, whirling, curling rush that is part merry-go-round and part high-speed rocket launch. WOW!

It is such a blast - it's a video game with *real* bite or a giant rollercoaster at double speed - take your pick.

I can only start to imagine what The Beast would do with that run - never mind the speeds it would attain on the Home Straight or Moraine Sweep! Thinking of your coupe on that course brings to mind the appropriateness of a Porsche or a GT-R at Nurburgring, or a Ford GT or Ferrari at LeMans.

It just should be there - it's simply where it would be at home. Kundalini and 'snaking' through a race course - it should just meld into a heightened consciousness. Which it does to me in my less spirtual ways - I really *live* through those scores of seconds each lap. Clarity is at the forefront each moment.

From clarity to indulgence .... tucking into a well-prepared meal in The Osthoff's restaurant after a long day and then to the in-room whirlpool in one of the suites. Like 6MT4Me said, the whole resort is great, but you have to get in a group in one of the big suites (like we did - ChicagoX, 6MT4Me and yours truly!) It's a long time since I can remember days that passed so fast from the sheer fun and enjoyment.

Get up here when you can Eagle1 for one of the MFBA meets in April or October (October more recommended due to the spectacular fall foliage and generally better weather.)

Six months under snow? .... nah, no way .... maybe five-and-a-half!

- Riff

You are such a tease!
    I had a breakfast at the Osthoff, and it was the biggest dinner I have ever had. They believe in portions suited for lumberjacks. (and no references to the Monty Python song, please).

It would be terrific to meet up in person sometime! When will you be at Vegas? I have a conference there Mid-May. I'm also out in Walnut Creek CA from time to time for work-- any chance you'll be at Infinion sometime this year?

You know you want to go back to RA. You knoooooowwww you want to. It's calling your name. Imagine the turbo whine echoing off the bridges... The unmistakable smells of hot brakes and cheese curds. Where else can you get that???

--6MT4me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast