The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G35 Front Strutt Tower brace

Re: G35 Front Strutt Tower brace

It would be terrific to meet up in person sometime! When will you be at Vegas? I have a conference there Mid-May. I'm also out in Walnut Creek CA from time to time for work-- any chance you'll be at Infinion sometime this year?

You know you want to go back to RA. You knoooooowwww you want to. It's calling your name. Imagine the turbo whine echoing off the bridges... The unmistakable smells of hot brakes and cheese curds. Where else can you get that???

--6MT4me
    You have a graduate degree in torture? Stop it already!

Just got back (a few hrs. ago) from the track test at Willow Springs with Eagle 1's car with the STB on it. All I can say is WOW what a difference (even more than I thought) Glad I didn't waste all that time and $ on R&D and making this thing for nothing. Huge improvement.

All went well (very well) I will let him tell you about it in his new thread.....Time for a chapter 5, driving impressions, right Ed??

You got it Scott!
    I just put up the first one. But it had to wait until this morning...you young guys have the ability to stay up late. Us old guys get unstable in our walkers after 10pm.
    I have to clean up the beast for the car show after all the rain and towing grit on it (sorry to take your work of art and get it dirty!)
    The Front strut brace is outstanding. So good that it just caused the entire handling balance to change....but that is "all good" in my book given the flex and twist that was taken out of the set up. The overall feel of the car with the new strut brace up front,and the bushings, is quantumly better. Just super precise. Now we just have to get the back end tightened up to let us oversteer it a bit and we will really have it dialed in. I appreciate that tweaking loose the 315's in the back (by the way, they measure 323mm wide, folks...not the nominally rated 315mm....so it is a LOT OF RUBBER) is not all that easy to do, but now that we know what to do, I think we can definitely get it closer than our untested first foray. Maybe we can get Performance Nissan interested in carrying it. It is not a "casual" mod, but for a serious enthusiast, this is a serious improvement, and five turns on a track will prove it plain and simple to anybody. Your lap times against all the lightcars yesterday does too.

So now that its been track tested and built for track use on Eagle1's car, has there been any testing on other coupes?

Knowing he is running 315 wide rear wheels, full Tien Flex w/ EDFC and its lowered, negative camber, with upgraded sways, and this is still bringing in understeer, how much understeer do you think this will dial in on coupes with a full or mostly stock suspension setup?

So now that its been track tested and built for track use on Eagle1's car, has there been any testing on other coupes?

Knowing he is running 315 wide rear wheels, full Tien Flex w/ EDFC and its lowered, negative camber, with upgraded sways, and this is still bringing in understeer, how much understeer do you think this will dial in on coupes with a full or mostly stock suspension setup?
    Obviously, we do not know yet. There is a lot going on with my suspension set up that makes an extrapolation difficult to make at this point. The big rear wheels (they measure 323mm in actual width, not the nominally stated 315) are big contributors to this new understeer because the stagger difference now is 48mm, and that is a bunch. It could very well be that going to slightly narrower tires, or stiffening the rear sway, or putting a softer front damper setting and a slightly stiffer rear, or some combination of these and other adjustments will combine to dial it out. (Or worsen it!). We just have to play with it and see what happens. For the stock coupe, Scott is going to put one on (this one on my car is the first production prototype) and see what happens, and then he can let everybody know.
    Remember, the testing at Streets of Willow was pretty hard charging stuff, roaring down hill into ninety degree plus turns, then bounding up and an immediate off camber right turn, etc etc. Very extreme stuff not readily duplicable under any street condition. Until pushed to the limits the handling elements were not so apparent. I think that everyone should dial in their cars carefully with some expectation of what they want and why before they go about putting parts on. Scott will post up his thoughts, this is his thread and I don't want to poke my nose in too far, but this is a "good" enhancement if somebody is wanting better performance. It looks nice too, but this is a driver's mod, not a "bling". What it has done is take the chassis stiffness to the next level, and that then unmasks the need to now do the same in other areas. Classic outcome from a new performance mod. It renders other areas of the car that used to be state of the art, to now be outmoded and needing upgrade or in this case, probably some tweaking to handle the former handling limits inherent in the front chassis flex.

Dark Energy Rules

What it has done is take the chassis stiffness to the next level, and that then unmasks the need to now do the same in other areas. Classic outcome from a new performance mod. It renders other areas of the car that used to be state of the art, to now be outmoded and needing upgrade or in this case, probably some tweaking to handle the former handling limits inherent in the front chassis flex.
    Maybe the race version of the Tanabe Sustec Pro-7 with the TEAS is needed? Maybe the additional spring stiffness avaialble in the 'Hard Driving' version of that product would be of benefit to the stiffer-chassis on your coupe.

Of course you are going to be learning so much on this coupe that maybe another major handling mod at this time (unless it goes in immediately and quickly) is the last thing you need! Besides - the Tanabe Sustec/TEAS setup isn't cheap and you've already spent enough to build monuments in your name at Performance and VRT!

- Riff

What it has done is take the chassis stiffness to the next level, and that then unmasks the need to now do the same in other areas. Classic outcome from a new performance mod. It renders other areas of the car that used to be state of the art, to now be outmoded and needing upgrade or in this case, probably some tweaking to handle the former handling limits inherent in the front chassis flex.
    Maybe the race version of the Tanabe Sustec Pro-7 with the TEAS is needed? Maybe the additional spring stiffness avaialble in the 'Hard Driving' version of that product would be of benefit to the stiffer-chassis on your coupe.

Of course you are going to be learning so much on this coupe that maybe another major handling mod at this time (unless it goes in immediately and quickly) is the last thing you need! Besides - the Tanabe Sustec/TEAS setup isn't cheap and you've already spent enough to build monuments in your name at Performance and VRT!

- Riff
    That was my line of thinking. No question that the coupe needs a front STB. I'm still probably 8-12 months away from getting the Tanabe setup. So... even though I have the '05 "sport-tuned" suspension, its still tuned towards slight understeer. Throwing on a big STB with the stock suspension, even though it'll make a huge difference in tightening up the chassis, might just force too much understeer. I don't think throwing on a Stillen rear STB (not aware of any other rear STB's) is enough to offset it. Could push the car too much towards terminal understeer until an adjustable suspension is installed.

- Riff
    That was my line of thinking. No question that the coupe needs a front STB. I'm still probably 8-12 months away from getting the Tanabe setup. So... even though I have the '05 "sport-tuned" suspension, its still tuned towards slight understeer. Throwing on a big STB with the stock suspension, even though it'll make a huge difference in tightening up the chassis, might just force too much understeer. I don't think throwing on a Stillen rear STB (not aware of any other rear STB's) is enough to offset it. Could push the car too much towards terminal understeer until an adjustable suspension is installed.
    I am quite sure that this STB will not cause your car to understeer. It will highten and magnify the suspensions characteristics (bad and good) Either way (with or without other existing mods) I would rather have a brace on the g than not. FOR SURE.

As objectively as I possibly can be under the circumstances, and that means of course a slight bias towards Scott since it is his invention, and I did put it on my car.....there is more to the understeer issue than just a front STB. The Tein flex edfc started chirping like a cicada and the "push" seemed to be more on the right front than the left. Since the car had just been corner balanced, we suspect a contribution to the problem with a right front damper control unit, wire, etc. So we are going to try to get that readjusted and then see how it goes. Since the turns to the right were reasonably good, and the ones to the left were pushing more, this might be the solution, or a material part of it. We will be tweaking it this week and let you know what we discover.

I just finished a version of this STB that is made to fit and works well with the Stillen super charger.

FYI....These strut tower braces are, and have been for sale. (I am selling these as fast as I can make them) IMO, no G35 should be without one.

If anyone is interest in purchasing one, please PM or e-mail me at Scott@RelentlessAutosports.com

Thanks,
    Scott

Ordered, thanks Scott!

IT FITS THE SEDAN TOO

This morning I test-fitted this front strut tower brace on a G35 sedan. The brace fits great, just as it does on the coupes, without any needed modifications.
    If your car is still using the stock air intake and the plastic engine cover (I would assume that these would be the first things to go) You still will need to get rid of, or cut the stock flimsey plastic engine cover for clearance. (I don't know why someone would want to keep that cheap looking, heat trapping cover on their car in the first place ) This brace fits better with some type of a cold air intake, the restrictive stock air box is kinda in the way of the mounts on the drivers side. Other than that, everything is great and these braces bolt right on and fit on both the coupe and the sedan great.

Thanks Joe.

This brace fits better with some type of a cold air intake, the restrictive stock air box is kinda in the way of the mounts on the drivers side.
    I know you mentioned fitment with a version for the Stillen SC, did that setup include the Stillen CAI? Curious how fitment would be with that since you said the stock box gets a bit in the way and the Stillen is similar in size.

This brace fits better with some type of a cold air intake, the restrictive stock air box is kinda in the way of the mounts on the drivers side.
    I know you mentioned fitment with a version for the Stillen SC, did that setup include the Stillen CAI? Curious how fitment would be with that since you said the stock box gets a bit in the way and the Stillen is similar in size.
    Good question Sean. The Stillen CAI is not a problem at all in the fittment department.

Re: VRT\'s G35 Front Strutt Tower brace

We are still making and selling these as fast as we can.

Has anyone tried this on a sedan? Thanks.

Dark Energy Rules

Seven posts above you is the answer - it does fit the sedan.

IT FITS THE SEDAN TOO

This morning I test-fitted this front strut tower brace on a G35 sedan. The brace fits great, just as it does on the coupes, without any needed modifications.

-posted by WA2GOOD

(Sometimes people - it helps to read the thread before you post into it!)

- Riff

I appreciate the info, but not really what I was asking; I should have re-phrased the question. I would like to hear from a sedan owner that has the VRT STB installed and can offer feedback on performance not merely a test fit. Thanks.

Seven posts above you is the answer - it does fit the sedan.

IT FITS THE SEDAN TOO

-posted by WA2GOOD

(Sometimes people - it helps to read the thread before you post into it!)

- Riff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast