The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My M35x with lowering springs from Jason Burtman

My M35x with lowering springs from Jason Burtman

When I was shopping for cars last summer, it was love at first site with the M, and I ended up owning a 35x last August.

I have been very happy with the car since, except for this nagging feeling that it was sitting a little too high on the wheels...

Then I saw Jason's post about a new set of lowering springs, and ordered them, even though neither of us were absolutely sure if it would fit the AWD model.

Today, I picked up the car, and ideed the springs fit great, and I'm finally happy with the stance of the car: way more aggressive and sporty, but still tasteful. The ride is excellent, and I could not detect any difference from the original springs, other than slightly less lean when turning.

Here are a few pics, excuse the quality due to poor indoor lighting.

Pictures Here

Re: My M35x with lowering springs from Jason Burtm

Very nice! Absolutely perfect with the 18" wheels IMO. Congrats!

Re: My M35x with lowering springs from Jason Burtman

Looks great. How much did they lower the car? Wonder if they'd mess up the M45 Sport handling, and whether I'd be banging up the front Aero package spoiler all the time...

JerryS, before lowering, I measured the distance between the wheel well and the top of the tire at approx. 2.5" rear, and 2.75" front. After lowering, these dropped by about 2", which is more than I had anticipated (I was expecting around 1 to 1.5")

I still have plenty of ground clearance, no problems over speed bumps etc. whatsoever, but don't know about your Aero body kit.

Can you take some pictures from the direct front and rear of the car? I want to see if the camber is visibly changed with these springs vs. stock.

Will try and do that for you in next few days... I can tell you that that there's a slight negative camber of about -1.5 deg., which is not visible to the naked eye.

Further to that, today I had to drive about 200 miles for business, and had a chance to truly get a feel for the car with the new springs. It drives better than before, feels tighter and more sure-footed and less bouncy, but still very comfortable. More importantly, the problem of the car pulling right or left on uneven pavement (mentioned in another thread here, and felt by me on several occasions) has completely disappeared. Not sure if it was an alignment issue (which would have been corrected when the wheels were re-aligned after installing the new springs), or a direct benefit of the new configuration.

These things are very subjective, I know, but to me it looks like a car with a little too much stuff in the trunk.

Not slamming you, just giving another opinion. I personally feel a little "air" above the wheels looks good. I guess I like a car that sits up on its wheels looking all perky and ready to run and play. A car with little or no wheel gap is fashionable, but it makes it looks heavy and bulky to me.

I actually agree with you, it's slightly too low in the back now, if it were 1/2 inch higher it'd be perfect, but hey... life's a compromise!

Even with the original springs, the gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well in the rear is 1/2 inch smaller than in the front. I still prefer it this way over sitting up high, however, but I see your point.

good look.
    I agree with the couple of previous posts...looks almost a little too low.
    I thought these springs were supposed to lower your car about 1" or so.
    Does the car feel bouncier? Usually when you lower a car so much...the car rides differently.

As I mentioned in a couple of posts above, imo the car rides better, feels "tighter" and with less bounce, but without sacrificing comfort. You feel the tighter springs when you go over speed bumps, otherwise the car handles very well and feels much more responsive.

Looks notwithstanding, I'd be really interested to see how the suspension settles over time (and it will) and hear how your car behaves with more than one person and accompanying baggage aboard (tendency to crash-through on the bump-stops).
    There isn't all that much travel there to begin with so please keep us posted on your experiences with this setup.

Glad you like them. It's funny how as little an inch can improve things looks wise, and of course handling.

The springs are supposed to lower the vehicle 1-1.5 inch (30mm) as listed by the manufacturer. However, the actual lowness will vary depending on the car's actual weight. So, if you have more options on the vehicle, your car will be lower with these springs.

The springs are designed with M45/M35 in mind, and M35X is no doubt a heavier car and thus, it lowers a bit more than advertised.

Lowering springs/write-up here

Thanks Jason. The more I drive the car, the better I feel about my decision. The handling is absolutely superb (it was great before), essentially no lean on corners, tracks straight as if on rails, and it behaves like a much nimbler and lighter car (handling feels similar to my BMW 3 series).

Ragarding springs under passenger/cargo load, I had two good sized guys plus myself in the car today, and handling remains good, without hard knocks on the stops or excessive discomfort / rigidity. There is no doubt that the ride is not as plush, but I much prefer that, and the seats do a great job of maintaining comfort high for driver and passengers.

Finally, the looks are great, very aggressive without being tasteless. You're right that the AWD is heavier, and this is likely the cause of more pronounced lowering to the ground.

Some new install pics. More on the site write-up.

I also have these lowering springs installed on a M35x. The ride is really nice. Its a little more stiff, maybe 20%, but its not harsh. The front has not rubbed on any inclines or declines yet. I got the car aligned and the camber is off a little bit, but not enough to require a camber kit if you rotate the tires every 3-5K miles. I'll post some picture in a day or so. My only complaint is that I wish the front was about a 1/4 inch lower and the rear 1/4 inch higher. This would make it even, or very close. I still love the springs over the factory high rise 4x4 set up,anyhow.

Does anybody know how much it a shop would charge to install these? I am in so cal, any referrals would be great as to where I can take my car to get tehse instaleld after purchasing.

thanks

Does anybody know how much it a shop would charge to install these? I am in so cal, any referrals would be great as to where I can take my car to get tehse instaleld after purchasing.

thanks
    If you are in OC you may be in luck.

The guys at my performance shop charge me $150.

Yes im in Orange County, in Huntington Beach. Where do you suggest?

Also, would you guys recommend the Espilar springs or the Eibach pro kit? I just saw the pro kit on the eibach site. Lowers front 1.5" and back 1.0"

thamks

These are Springs from Jason also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast