The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping/Service Dept.

Question Tipping/Service Dept.

This may sound odd but, I'm curious about what some of you do as far as tipping is concerned when having your cars serviced.
    Years back, my dad always tipped the service manager or the mechanic when dealing with a private repair shop. I tipped as well at the dealer through the '80's. In '92 I bought a Subaru SVX and found their service dept. was set up a bit differently. Basically 2 ladies up front writing service orders. Didn't really know who to tip there. Bought my '99 Jeep GC from the same dealer so, the non-tipping practice remained.
    Now I'll be having my first service experience with Infiniti when I bring my FX45 in for 15K and the fuel filler recall. (I've done the prior oil changes myself.) Looks like their setup is similar to the Subaru/Jeep place.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
    '05 FX45, Diamond Graphite, Tech, Premium, XM, Tints.

I'm sure that's a gesture that they're not accustomed to, and you'll probably get special attention, if you're a returning customer. It seems like I'm always barely getting by, so it's not in my mind. There are times when shops charged me little, so I give them an extra $10, though.
    (\ψ/)
    (дед)
    c('')('')

2007 FJ Cruiser
    2004 Silverstone 350z

What you say makes sense Deathmage. Perhaps tip under a special circumstance but, not normally.

Tipping is a very Western thing to do. It's ruined entire economies in Asia and the middle east because of American's tipping "everybody." I agree with snipe, tip for extraordinary service, perferrably to the person who performed the service.
    [Jered]
    2006 FX35 AWD, Autumn Copper | Graphite, Sport/Touring/Tech/Handsfree, clear bra.

Quote Originally Posted by Jered
    Tipping is a very Western thing to do. It's ruined entire economies in Asia and the middle east because of American's tipping "everybody." I agree with snipe, tip for extraordinary service, perferrably to the person who performed the service.
    Concur. If they only do what is asked, they are being well paid, especially dealerships!
    04 G35X, DP, Premium, Wood

When I show up a servic\e dept thats new to me and its a big job, I may tip the service manager $20 ( yes) to get the best tech

If its just an oil change i may bring in donuts.

Fred..
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Well, I had the 15K service and fuel filler recall done at Infiniti of Massapequa last week. Everything went well. Dropped the FX off at around 2pm, got the loaner and picked it up at 6pm the following day.
    No tipping. Not that there was anyone who could easily be tipped. I would have had to seek out the service mgr., and when I picked it up the service dept was already closed.
    They got a decent chunk of change out of me for the 15K. :(

Quote Originally Posted by snipe
    This may sound odd but, I'm curious about what some of you do as far as tipping is concerned when having your cars serviced.
    Years back, my dad always tipped the service manager or the mechanic when dealing with a private repair shop. I tipped as well at the dealer through the '80's. In '92 I bought a Subaru SVX and found their service dept. was set up a bit differently. Basically 2 ladies up front writing service orders. Didn't really know who to tip there. Bought my '99 Jeep GC from the same dealer so, the non-tipping practice remained.
    Now I'll be having my first service experience with Infiniti when I bring my FX45 in for 15K and the fuel filler recall. (I've done the prior oil changes myself.) Looks like their setup is similar to the Subaru/Jeep place.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
    Our dealerships, and most others, prohibit our employees from accepting gratuities of any sort. A customer should never have to pay for good service and any employee that expects or accepts any gratuity should be asked to seek employment elsewhere.
    Nissan Dealer in Panama City, Florida

dmayer7500@hotmail.com

^^ same policy here. although if we get any gratuities, the hell if I am going to say anything. Actually, if you give anything, FOOD is our best friend. Atleast once a day, someone brings donuts or manapua's (don't ask if you don't know) for everyone to share.
    97 200sx - SHDW03 - paint faded, 120K miles, stock (bus'up) **SOLD**
    96 Hardbody - 2" drop, Titan rims **SOLD**
    92 300zx 2+2 - DD
    05 Quest - wife's car
    07 Titan CC - ingen intake, stillen drop springs, KPtechnologies modules

Dark Energy Rules
    I never see the mechanics - they don't want us back in the service area unless they request us to be there due to a question or issue.

However, I always tip the porters several bucks - these are the guys whom bring the car back from service or a wash - they get paid pretty poorly and need the cash.

A service manager or senior tech makes pretty good money at my dealership - while the porters aren't making diddley.

- Riff

I never tip the dealer. I will only tip my personal mechanic, the reason for this is that I don't mind taking care of someone who will actually works on my car as there own.
    M35 Sport

My FA Gallery

When I recently dropped off my G35 coupe for a new transmission, I brought 2 dozen donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. I think it's a good way to start a healthy relationship at my local dealership.
    -Nabin

-04 Infiniti G35 coupe
    -99 Honda Civic Si (R.I.P. 11.16.03)

Quote Originally Posted by NSHAIKH_G35
    When I recently dropped off my G35 coupe for a new transmission, I brought 2 dozen donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. I think it's a good way to start a healthy relationship at my local dealership.
    Excellent thinking!!
    They will remember that, and treat your car nice.

Also it circumvents most anti- tipping policies (if any such exist at your dealer)
    and its kinda fun for all involved.

That one time I had a a meeting and the catere had the incredible plates of EXTREME brownies.

I took most of them to R Nissan Parts and servce and they loved them.

And now they are a FA Sponsor..

Fred..
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Quote Originally Posted by Tried
    Man, I wish I hadn't seen this thread.

Tipping...for car maintenance???

What's next...tipping for airport luggage check-in? Or maybe seeing a tip jar at a restaurant where a bunch of guys use sticks to cook meat and vegetables that you picked out? Ooh, I think tipping the nice ladies at the Secretary of State would be a great idea too.

Seriously, tipping is one of the things that is seriously wrong with our country, because after a while, people come to EXPECT it, and when you don't do it, people get all huffy over it. Maybe I just see it differently because I've been living in a tip-less society, but why can't people just do a good job BECAUSE that's their job? Take pride in what you do, and do it well no matter what.

I'm not saying that bringing in Donuts isn't a good idea, because personally, who WOULDN'T want donuts, but monetary tipping seems a little over the top.

And yes, I understand that a typical waitress in the US makes below minimum wage, so I do tip a waitress. But not a gas station attendant or car wash towel drier person.
    Sounds like the tipping rant from Reservoir Dogs. I like it. Also, (OT)why do they solicit tips at coffee shops? Isn't that their job? And definately not the porter at Infiniti. They knew how much money they would make when they accepted the job. And certainly not technicians, they make some good money.

I only tip for exceptional service, and I'm much more likely to tip a tech than a manager. Normally if they just do their job I figure I'm getting charged enough already, but if a tech really goes above and beyond I'll slip him a 10--or a 20 if I'm in a really good mood!

After an accident a couple of years ago I took my car to a body shop that really did a great job, but there wasn't one person for me to tip, so the day after I picked it up I came back at around 12:30 with a couple of pizzas. I told the owner first that I was going to do it, and I asked him what pizza place the guys liked. They seemed pretty happy with it.

I don't tip... why??? Do you even know what a good mechanic gets paid??? My dealership mechanic gets paid close to 100,000.00 a year. And the reason that is because he's competent, fast and accurate with what he does. All they really ask is for no douche bag attitude.

Good beer is an always welcome tip.
    1984 Nissan 720
    1995 Nissan Terrano
    1990 Infiniti M30
    1996 Lexus LX450
    Mechanics work on Fords,
    Technicians work on Infinitis

The dealership already rape anyone taking vehicles in for service. Why would you tip them for screwing you over.:D

I tip at private business only, I tip the guy at the shop I take my truck too. He always g oout of his way to do things I don't ask like clean out my engine bay and such.

The dealership already rape anyone taking vehicles in for service. Why would you tip them for screwing you over.
    Oh I wish and I work for a dealer, wanna check my pay stub? Grow up, when the dealer gets hit for nearly 10G's for a Consult 3 what do you expect. Let me guess, you are the type of vehicle owner who tows their vehicle to 3 aftermarket shops that can't figure out what is wrong with your vehicle and then finally tows it to the dealer who figures it out in less than an hour and then calls you to tell you what is wrong and you have a schit fit because it costs 104 an hour to repair. Guess what, QUALITY DOES NOT COST IT PAYS. Have a nice day.
    1984 Nissan 720
    1995 Nissan Terrano
    1990 Infiniti M30
    1996 Lexus LX450
    Mechanics work on Fords,
    Technicians work on Infinitis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast