The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tipping/Service Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by patzx300
    Oh I wish and I work for a dealer, wanna check my pay stub? Grow up, when the dealer gets hit for nearly 10G's for a Consult 3 what do you expect. Let me guess, you are the type of vehicle owner who tows their vehicle to 3 aftermarket shops that can't figure out what is wrong with your vehicle and then finally tows it to the dealer who figures it out in less than an hour and then calls you to tell you what is wrong and you have a schit fit because it costs 104 an hour to repair. Guess what, QUALITY DOES NOT COST IT PAYS. Have a nice day.
    I certainly wouldn't bring my vehicle to your shop...this is the typical attitude we face. If you can't deal with the general public in a professional manner...even in the face of adversity...then you need to get another job.

I certainly wouldn't bring my vehicle to your shop...this is the typical attitude we face. If you can't deal with the general public in a professional manner...even in the face of adversity...then you need to get another job.
    No, you have me all wrong. I eat, sleep and breathe Nissan and Infiniti, and I understand why people hate the dealer as much as anyone else and this is why I take such pride in what I do and the techs I oversee. But what pisses me off is how the dealers that absolutely suk arse make the rest of us look bad. All I am saying is that some of us have integrity and believe in fixing it right the first time. My GM gets pissed at me because I actually go out and intrduce myself to my clients and let them know what is wrong with their vehicle. I don't mind that the part or concern is covered under warranty. I am not looking to bend you over the hood and get all I can out of you. If you don't need brakes I will not sell you them. If you have a rattle the first thing I want to do is go for a ride with you the vehicle owner because you know exactly what the noise is and the conditions in which it occurs. Perhaps my earlier statemant was harsh but I feel at times I need to defend myself as an employee of a dealer. Some of us do like what we do. Trust me, I am the first person you want to bring your vehicle to.
    1984 Nissan 720
    1995 Nissan Terrano
    1990 Infiniti M30
    1996 Lexus LX450
    Mechanics work on Fords,
    Technicians work on Infinitis

Let me guess, you are the type of vehicle owner who tows their vehicle to 3 aftermarket shops that can't figure out what is wrong with your vehicle and then finally tows it to the dealer who figures it out in less than an hour and then calls you to tell you what is wrong and you have a schit fit because it costs 104 an hour to repair.
    Actually it was the dealer who fcuked it up. They were the one who made me come back 3 times for warranty repairs cause they couldn't get the right parts.
    Years before another dealers fcuked up my car so bad I had to go to an independent shop to get the mess they did undone.:D No problems with paying for quality work when quality work is perform.:D The last time I was at the dealer, I had to tell the fcuking tech how to do the darn thing right.:D

No, you have me all wrong. I eat, sleep and breathe Nissan and Infiniti, and I understand why people hate the dealer as much as anyone else and this is why I take such pride in what I do and the techs I oversee. But what pisses me off is how the dealers that absolutely suk arse make the rest of us look bad. All I am saying is that some of us have integrity and believe in fixing it right the first time. My GM gets pissed at me because I actually go out and intrduce myself to my clients and let them know what is wrong with their vehicle. I don't mind that the part or concern is covered under warranty. I am not looking to bend you over the hood and get all I can out of you. If you don't need brakes I will not sell you them. If you have a rattle the first thing I want to do is go for a ride with you the vehicle owner because you know exactly what the noise is and the conditions in which it occurs. Perhaps my earlier statemant was harsh but I feel at times I need to defend myself as an employee of a dealer. Some of us do like what we do. Trust me, I am the first person you want to bring your vehicle to.
    I don't think anyone is so much cursing the "infantry" at the dealerships, so much as the "generals" and the institution itself. Tell me why a tire costs DOUBLE at a dealership over, for instance, a Goodyear shop, or a Firestone shop, or Costco? I know this is not your fault (unless you own the dealership), but it's frustrating to people to feel like (knee-jerk reaction) all dealerships are out to take the rest of your money that they didn't get when you bought the car.

i work at a dealership. dont tip, because their not supposed to accept it.

When your car is 5,000 miles away from ending the warranty tip/pay the Master Senior Tech $100 to find marginal things that can be changed that are not meeting specification.

You can't do this out of the blue you need a prior previous relationship.

After all he will have to spend a few unpaid hours looking and testing.

Remember even senior techs only make $25 hour except in LA/SF/ NYC.
    They are expected to perform 60 hours of billing per week.

That fresh tranny or wheel bearings or ac compressor will come in handy later.

Quote Originally Posted by NSHAIKH_G35
    When I recently dropped off my G35 coupe for a new transmission, I brought 2 dozen donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. I think it's a good way to start a healthy relationship at my local dealership.
    Since when are Dunkin' donuts HEALTHY ? LOL

I work at a dealership in a small town (30,000 people in the "metro" area).
    Our shop prides itself on making sure that the customer is satisfied with the work perfomed and if there is a question on work done or the cost we will show them the list cost of the parts and go over why it took the time shown to fix it. Our service department is one of the sales reps best tools for selling cars here. Free loaners ,a shuttle service, Master Techs who refuse to half ass anything and a service manager who interfaces with each customer equal a great shop and brings in many repeat sales.
    Next time your in New Hampshire stop by to see how it is supposed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by salesguy
    I work at a dealership in a small town (30,000 people in the "metro" area).
    Our shop prides itself on making sure that the customer is satisfied with the work perfomed and if there is a question on work done or the cost we will show them the list cost of the parts and go over why it took the time shown to fix it. Our service department is one of the sales reps best tools for selling cars here. Free loaners ,a shuttle service, Master Techs who refuse to half ass anything and a service manager who interfaces with each customer equal a great shop and brings in many repeat sales.
    Next time your in New Hampshire stop by to see how it is supposed to be done.
    Sounds like a great place! Need to open a dealership out here in SoCal!
    Deposit 03/01/06: DGraphite/Graphite+Wood/Jny/Tech/Aero-Mine 04/01/06
    No Front Plate - 35% Tint - ClearBra - Debadged - CF B Pillars - Xtra Wood - Fuga Mirrors - DVD/Nav Hack - E114 Exhaust - LED Plate & Bulbs - E114 Air Intake & 20" Wheels - Tanabe Springs - T1Rs - Acoustic Mats - PIAA wipers - BAT Overlays

G35C
    Ordered 09/18/02: CBlue/6MT/Premium/Aero-Mine 12/18/02 Sold 04/11/03
    No Front Plate - Debadged - ClearBra - Huper Tint - Alum Pedals - CF Trim

FA Sponsors

Freshalloy Master Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Jered View Post
    I agree with snipe, tip for extraordinary service, perferrably to the person who performed the service.
    You would be surprised at the gifts and tips that are brought into dealerships that are given to the service advisors and never passed onto the techs who spend the time doing the actual repair. It really pisses me off personally that the customers reward the person that sits at the desk and writes up the concerns while those in the shop so the hard physical labor. As was noted by someone else, the senior techs often make around 25 per hour and when you look at what you are being charged per hour the majority does not go to the skilled worker.

Quote Originally Posted by patzx300 View Post
    Let me guess, you are the type of vehicle owner who tows their vehicle to 3 aftermarket shops that can't figure out what is wrong with your vehicle and then finally tows it to the dealer who figures it out in less than an hour and then calls you to tell you what is wrong and you have a schit fit because it costs 104 an hour to repair. Guess what, QUALITY DOES NOT COST IT PAYS. Have a nice day.
    I have a recent experience with an aftermarket shop that had diagnosed a concern with a G20 idle problem. They replaced that faulty Idle air valve but failed to diagnose an internal failure of the ECM. They brought it to us and we diagnosed the ECM. They then too the car back to their shop, Bought a used ECM, installed the used ECM and brought the car back to us for key programming etc. The problem was they had a bad used ECM. We just got the new ECM today and installed it. The customer has been without their car for over a month for a simple idle problem.

Quote Originally Posted by futureXterra View Post
    I don't think anyone is so much cursing the "infantry" at the dealerships, so much as the "generals" and the institution itself. Tell me why a tire costs DOUBLE at a dealership over, for instance, a Goodyear shop, or a Firestone shop, or Costco? I know this is not your fault (unless you own the dealership), but it's frustrating to people to feel like (knee-jerk reaction) all dealerships are out to take the rest of your money that they didn't get when you bought the car.
    I'm not sure how some dealership parts departments sell their tires but I know my dealership sells tires at MSRP price which is a small percentage over our cost.

jeff thanks for your thoughts!

Also I always try to tip the tech themeselves and only in unusual situations the service advisor ( or example when trying to get him to assign it to the best tech, then I usually tell him.. " I am in no hurry to get the car back and am willing to wait an extra day if your best tech is busy but I would like to have your best tech work on my car.. then i slip him a 20..and later to the tech as well..)
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12