The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GT2871R top or bottom

GT2871R top or bottom

I've been going back and forthing trying to figure out what i want with my car. It sees some autox ever few months. Then i also like to do a few highway pulls. I think i've decided on the gt2871r .64 but what about the T3 style. Like everyone else i too get power hungery so would it be benefical to go the T3 style gt2871r than the usually bottom mount and does anyone have a dyno of the topmount gt2871r.
    96 Red 240sx S14 SR20DET

Top mount GT2871R with a .63 T3 turbine housing and external TiAL 38mm wastegate. If I had it to do, I would use a GT30R with surge ported compressor housing instead of a GT2871R T3.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=GRT

SEX!!!

Bottom mounted .64 t2 flange....extrude honed and swain coated oem manifold, turbine housing...combine that with the right fuel, exhaust, FMIC setup,a Wolf ECU, Wolf s3 cams, an Intake manifold etc etc...deadly fast response and the possibility of just shy of 400 whp (if not 400 whp) at 20 psi

Quote Originally Posted by codyace
    Bottom mounted .64 t2 flange....extrude honed and swain coated oem manifold, turbine housing...combine that with the right fuel, exhaust, FMIC setup,a Wolf ECU, Wolf s3 cams, an Intake manifold etc etc...deadly fast response and the possibility of just shy of 400 whp (if not 400 whp) at 20 psi
    Have pics of your setup particularly the manifold? Did the honing make any difference you think?

Is this for a SR or KA? If its an sr, i would go w/ gt2871r .64 on the oem mani w/ external wastegate. Since you save a grip on the mani by staying bottom mount, you could invest in some cams (hks 264 or s3/s4). Also, don't go top-mount if you are on a budget. Here is a picture of a setup similar to that, which is on vapor's s14.

Details

Engine:
    S13 black top
    Topspeed intake manifold
    740cc nismo injectors
    Hondata intake manifold gasket
    HKS 264 step 2 cams
    Greddy ras
    Greddy valve springs
    Cometic headgasket
    ARP headstuds
    Greddy oil pan
    Greddy pulleys
    KA TB

Turbo System:
    Stock manifold
    Modified for external tial 38mm wastegate
    Garrett GT2540R with .86 a/r exhaust housing
    GReddy RSPL intercooler
    Custom hot and intake piping by RS Enthalpy
    HKS SSQV Race BOV
    Megan o2 housing
    Greddy downpipe
    Test pipe
    JIC titanium catback
    Apexi intake filter
    GReddy Profec B spec 2 with remote switching system
    -Tyler
    Cars
    '93 S13 - SR, 3", FMIC, Stock Boost
    www.imvfilms.com
    www.intmo.com

Quote Originally Posted by s14rhd
    Have pics of your setup particularly the manifold? Did the honing make any difference you think?
    Extrude Honing's been proven for years! Good stuff!

IMHO if you're starting from scratch & want room for more options, go with the top mount T-3 based setup. You can always go down or up from there & have a LOT more options!

if you look at my sig it does say that i have an S14 SR20. I already have a set of hks 264 step 2, but arent in the car just waiting for me to make up my mind. I do have a good budget i've been saving a long time now i didnt think it would take so long to figure out which turbo i wanted to go with.
    96 Red 240sx S14 SR20DET

Quote Originally Posted by chunk
    Top mount GT2871R with a .63 T3 turbine housing and external TiAL 38mm wastegate. If I had it to do, I would use a GT30R with surge ported compressor housing instead of a GT2871R T3.
    i agree with the T3 choice, but i would use a 44mm tial and a divided t3 .78 a/r on the 3071R FTW with our new divided t3 manifold... nothing would touch that setup

Quote Originally Posted by codyace
    deadly fast response?? not from a 2871R!! you might have deadly fast response from a 28RS or a 3071 but not a 2871

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Race_Geoff
    deadly fast response?? not from a 2871R!! you might have deadly fast response from a 28RS or a 3071 but not a 2871
    The Gt2871r with the .63 Housing, has very fast response, what makes you think it doesn't? I had the car sliding out (at 2500rpms in first gear without launching) a hour ago tring to get out on to the road in a hurry. It comes on boost very early.

i was under the impression that the gt2871r turbo would spool faster than the gt3071r is that not true?
    96 Red 240sx S14 SR20DET

no question about it, it does have very fast response, its an excellent turbo.

however, a 28RS would have faster yet response, and a 3071 would have even faster response, particularly with a divided twin scroll inlet.

there is a big difference between spool and response. a 3071 will spool later than a 2871 (assuming both are in undivided .63 a/r t3 turbine housings) however once it is spooled, it will have faster response.

Truth to that. Just a misundertanding (or misuse on my part) of words. I've had the pleasure to ride in similar setup car as mine with both a spud and 2871r .64 like I am going to run, and the difference (in my opinion) can only be seen on the dynograph by 100/200 rpm. The main reason I went with the 2871r however is to prevent the 'dieing off' that spud has in the upper RPMS.

Obviously a bigger turbo would help keep power up top too, but I was looking for something just shy of 400 whp with the stock manifold..

no question about it, it does have very fast response, its an excellent turbo.

however, a 28RS would have faster yet response, and a 3071 would have even faster response, particularly with a divided twin scroll inlet.
    Can't touch that twin scroll. Albiet I did purchase the 2871r a while back (when i was overseas), I'm still not sure if I would have went with the 3071 if I had to choose today...but I'm certainly not saying it's a bad choice, as the twinscroll housing is tits!

there is a big difference between spool and response. a 3071 will spool later than a 2871 (assuming both are in undivided .63 a/r t3 turbine housings) however once it is spooled, it will have faster response.
    As above, just a misunderstanding of words...hooah for the internet!

Can someone please explain "twin scroll"?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb382
    Can someone please explain "twin scroll"?
    The turbo inlet is divided, instead of one larger opening into two slightly smaller openings, this reportedly assists with quicker spool...but you need to have both a twin scroll turbo & manifold flange to be effective...

How would a divided manifold work with a non-divided turbine housing? I'm thinking it doesn't even make sense to buy a regular manifold now.

The GTRS is faster spooling, but uc less powerful. The GT30 is more powerful, but has alot more lag. IMO the 2871R is a more streetable turbo. Its perfect for street use with power levels upwards of 350+whp. The T3 top mounted flange is perfect for some people, but i wanted a simple setup and got bottom mount T2. I hope to beat Anels record and make 380whp maybe more. As most of you recall, he has the 377whp record on a .64 AR and T2 flange.

Kep in mind the idea that you can always swap compressor housings for the larger one if you want to make more power or are in need of a different power band. As long as you have a standalone, it should be easy. Just make two seperate maps.
    (00/ RPS13 \00)
    GT2871R
    SHOOTIN FOR THE RECORD
    http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showth...98#post1332898

Quote Originally Posted by forcefedS13

Kep in mind the idea that you can always swap compressor housings for the larger one if you want to make more power or are in need of a different power band. As long as you have a standalone, it should be easy. Just make two seperate maps.
    hopefully not spreading misinformation, but i thought i had read that the compressor housings on the gt's were not interchangable....

also, is there any way to adapt the stock manifold for a twin scroll, like, say from an evo 9er??
    I like my doriftos cool ranch style??

meh, nevermind my second question, i just re-read nitin's post on the evo twin scroll...
    I like my doriftos cool ranch style??

Yes, you can change the compressor housings on the GT series turbos. Keep in mind that the GT 28, 2871, 30 etc are basicallt T25's enhanced to the max. Its the same turbo design. The .64 and .86 are different, but will mate the CHRA.
    (00/ RPS13 \00)
    GT2871R
    SHOOTIN FOR THE RECORD
    http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showth...98#post1332898

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast