The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: SR rod bearings

SR rod bearings

So, I'm in the middle of a rebuild. My machine shop (which obviously knows nothing about the sr20) ground my crank 20 thou. In my search for 20 over rod bearings I have got very mixed reviews. I have been told that 20 over bearings are not made for the sr 'cause they create air pockets. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, I have been told that the bearings have to be shimmed beacause the tolerances are tighter than the crank-turning machines are capable of. Anyone know anything about this?

the s14 fsm for sr, in english, explains everything a machine shop needs to know about bearings.

besides nissan oem, clevites and some other manufacturers do offer sr bearings.

air pockets?

read the fsm for your self and you will definetly have the answer to your shimming question.
    EC-43 HOW TO PERFORM TROUBLE DIAGNOSES FOR QUICK AND ACCURATE REPAIR.

I printed off almost the entire em section of the fsm along with the entire sds section. It says nothing about what size aftermarket or oem bearings are offered.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb382
    I printed off almost the entire em section of the fsm along with the entire sds section. It says nothing about what size aftermarket or oem bearings are offered.
    uhh, try page em-80...

was gonna tell you this when you were here but if they took off .020" (.5mm) from the journals i think you're going to need a new crank. pretty sure you're not going to find rod bearings that big for sr20

clevite 77 makes 20 over bearings.

They make std size and 20 over.

20 over means .0020 (20 thou) no?

two thousandths = 0.002
    twenty thousandths = 0.020

Quote Originally Posted by statik
    uhh, try page em-80...
    I looked at both s14 and s15 fsm. S15 was talking about rod bearings on that page, but said nothing about either of my questions. The s14 FSM was talking about main bearings on that page. Please be more specific.

ILikeMy240sx, thanks for that info, I will call clevite directly tomorrow, all the retailers I call seem to know nothing.

Champa, I was about to give in and buy a new crank, just to make it to the parking lot event on the 15th, but I'm starting to think I won't make it anyway, 'cause I will have to get it rebalanced and everything anyway, so I'm just going to try to cut costs and find the bearings. Plus I'm trying to buy a townhouse next week, so the extra $500 might come in handy on my down payment.

Give Calico a call. The last time I talked to them, they told me that they could custom size coated ACL bearings for the SR.
    :D
    CZ P-01

I can't find a phone # for calico or clevite. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb382
    I can't find a phone # for calico or clevite. Any help?
    Calico's number: 1(866)483-2272
    ACL SR bearings http://www.aclperformance.com.au/Nis...ETBearings.htm
    I think you could order these from Calico also.
    :D
    CZ P-01

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson
    Calico's number: 1(866)483-2272
    ACL SR bearings http://www.aclperformance.com.au/Nis...ETBearings.htm
    I think you could order these from Calico also.
    I called calico today and their rep said that they offer nothing larger than 10 over.

I really don't want to buy a new crank, but thats what it's looking like.

Ouch. Good luck looking for a crank. I'd throw that other crank at the machine shops window

Just go to a junkyard and pull a fwd sr20 crank, same part. Also you have to use the bearing codes from the new crank(hopefully in good shape) I would not use a modded crank anyways, there's bound to be problems.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dorimaster
    Just go to a junkyard and pull a fwd sr20 crank, same part. Also you have to use the bearing codes from the new crank(hopefully in good shape) I would not use a modded crank anyways, there's bound to be problems.

Pete
    Thanks for the reply, but I just found out that ACL offers bearings, not in 20 over, they are metric, but I can get larger bearings and have the crank re-turned. The only thing done to my crank is that it has been turned, and they drilled holes in the counterweights to balance the rotating ass. Could either of those cause problems? The ACL rep, said that I cannot get my crank turned w/o already having the bearings, since the tolerances are so tight. I am going to get it re-turned to match the bearings perfectly once I recieve my new bearings. Would this fix any of the potential problems you are reffering to? What other problems might occur by using a modded crank?

Ive built a few sr20's now and ACL i completely dont trust. they offer "race" bearings in one size only! so some of your clearances will be too big and some too small! Also they are correct in that you would need to have the bearings to get the tolerances correct, but ther variences are sooo far off that of normal v8's(which is what they deal with) that they have no idea and dont have the tooling to get that correct anyways.

Like i said before get a new(used) crank. NOT remanufactured. follow clearances. done.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dorimaster
    Ive built a few sr20's now and ACL i completely dont trust. they offer "race" bearings in one size only! so some of your clearances will be too big and some too small! Also they are correct in that you would need to have the bearings to get the tolerances correct, but ther variences are sooo far off that of normal v8's(which is what they deal with) that they have no idea and dont have the tooling to get that correct anyways.

Like i said before get a new(used) crank. NOT remanufactured. follow clearances. done.

Pete
    The ACL rep that I talked to said that they offer bearings in multiple sizes. Why did you put " " around race? Are they no different than OEM? He sounded like the WPC treatment is the speacial thing that they had too offer.

If some are too big and some are too small, would I be able to machine the crank down to the correct size and comopensate for the variances?

he is saying that Nissan clearances are all different inbetween each 5 mains. So yes all the ACL bearings would come one size and then you could aline bore your mains and get your crank turned for the correct clearance. Thats what GOOD engine builders do...wish i woulda done that then OEM size matching
    S14SR, 589WHP/500TQ , AEM EMS, GT35R, 264/272 step2's. 29psi on C16...

Ok, thats good to know.

I was reading over on another forum you cant regrind, but found

You can re-grind Nissan cranks a couple of thou if they are only lightly marked. The danger is going through the Nitride/Nitrile coating on the crank as it's quite thin - but it's fairly easy to get them re-coated.

Just pulling my SR20 Red top to pieces now and hope all the bearings are ok