The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: s13 sr and 2004 civic si rsx type-s....

s13 sr and 2004 civic si rsx type-s....

A week ago went to go to Morosso Track in Florida, but it rained right before we got there and they closed the track off. Thankfully for florida rain it dries up pretty quickly so we had some fun on the highway going back home.

I've got a s13 blacktop in my 90 fastback base model with the normal bolt-ons. FMIC, 3"dp/test-pipe/rsr ex-mag, walbro 255lph, and stock boost for now(t25 oil seal is on its way leaking a bit). A friend has an 2004 civic si, at the moment stripped, only a driver seat(interior stripped for custom sound system install). He's got an rsx type-s motor, some cams(not sure wut durration), port and polish intake/valve job, 2.5" straight through exhaust and an aem engine management.

-we did a few pulls from around top of 3rd gear till the middle of 5th and everytime i managed to inch myself away from him. I had to say i was suprised being i was running 7psi instead of the 10-11psi i normaly run. But everytime the result was the same. Needless to say he was a little disapointed in his car and wants to put more money into it now.
    -Boost rising...-=)

RWD Rulez!!!

How much do those swaps (rsx types->hatch) go for? I'm sure that motor costs a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by modreadz
    How much do those swaps (rsx types->hatch) go for? I'm sure that motor costs a pretty penny.
    you're looking at about 8K. the motor is more expensive than a rb26dett

If the guy was going to swap the motor, he should have gone for the 2.4 liter out of the TSX. When going NA, I'd take displacement over revs any day of the week.
    Pushin Nissans since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave562
    If the guy was going to swap the motor, he should have gone for the 2.4 liter out of the TSX. When going NA, I'd take displacement over revs any day of the week.
    not quite. you have it backwards. the 2.4 is better boosted by itself. if you want an n/a than you take the 2.4 block with the type S dohc head and make sweet numbers. the 2.0 is better in stock form than the 2.4 it may have more displacement but it's still a sohc. so far the ultimate kswap is the 2.4/type s head plus boost. they are making sick numbers with them. but that amount of work and parts, it's cheaper to get an s14 and do an rb26 swap and put down crazy rwd numbers.

if it is in a 2004 SI that means it has the same motor just a differnt year so you need only the motor and maybe the ecu, it wouldnt be that expensive at all. its a direct bolt in motor.

the ecu is different they use differnt vtecs as well. the si uses vtec-e on the intake cam nothing on the exhaust cam. it's not a direct bolton at all

was the K20 tuned? From the sound of it, the civic should be able to wax you lol.

I've seen full interior RSXs with cams do mid 13s. Those K20s are no jokes in little Hondas
    S14 kouki daily beater
    S13 sil40

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet86
    was the K20 tuned? From the sound of it, the civic should be able to wax you lol.

I've seen full interior RSXs with cams do mid 13s. Those K20s are no jokes in little Hondas
    :00000734: werd
    (insert wang size here)

hahaha i think he said it was a base tune. not fine tuned. He was throwing a flame here and there. i agree with stock boost he should have pulled and he was suprised as well. A k20 in an eg/ek would definatley pull by my stock boost. I also went up against this guy with a supposedly built type-r in a 93-95 coupe. pulled on him as well...do hondas just suck on the highway/top-end?
    -Boost rising...-=)

nope even b16 crx's are great highway cars. **** for torque but lots of top end. add a light chassis and you have a damn quick beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Realslow
    if it is in a 2004 SI that means it has the same motor just a differnt year so you need only the motor and maybe the ecu, it wouldnt be that expensive at all. its a direct bolt in motor.

Thats correct (sort of). It is a K20, but its a K20z1 instead of the RSX K20a1, K20a2, or K20a4. The motor should not have been a swap, it should have came from Honda that way. If he swapped it in, then he wasted $5k for the motor and who knows however much else for the labor.

usdm civic si(ep3) was made from 2002-2005 in america. it came standard with a k20a3. the jdm/eruo civic type-r (01-05) came with a k20a. 01-04 rsx type-s came with k20a2. base rsx came with the k20a3 as well. 05-06 rsx type came with k20z1. 06 civic si came with k20z3.

Quote Originally Posted by johngass
    usdm civic si(ep3) was made from 2002-2005 in america. it came standard with a k20a3. the jdm/eruo civic type-r (01-05) came with a k20a. 01-04 rsx type-s came with k20a2. base rsx came with the k20a3 as well. 05-06 rsx type came with k20z1. 06 civic si came with k20z3.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew it should have came with a K20, just wasn't exactly sure on the engine codes.

[quote=redtopRPS13]the 2.0 is better in stock form than the 2.4 it may have more displacement but it's still a sohc.quote]

wrong, the tsx K24a is dohc. it makes 220hp and has a LONGER STROKE than the KA24DE and it redlines at 7500. even more when its mated with a k20 head.