The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to Wire S14 SR20 into 97 240SX

Dont know if this helps or not but im running the code na ecu on a 98 s14 motor the wiring is very close to the s15.

Edit: the twin pin 27's on his diagram have been verified. see below.

In short, if you dont feel like reading it all, yes you double wire pin27 exactly as the diagram shows. many thanks, chunk, for sharing your hard time and effort with us all, even if I am stubborn and want to re-invent the wheel everytime.
    Bioengineering
    Control systems processing
    RNA splicing

Ok I've figured out where the fan wires go, I wrote this to help people trying this themselves. This is the final answer to the "double pin 27 mystery" from above.

SR20 COoling fan wiring works like this

Pin 26 (Blue/Green)
    Pin 20 (orange/Blue)

There are 2 cooling fan relays
    Relay1 is the low signal
    Relay 2 is the high signal.

Relay 1 (low) is triggered by grounding pin# 20 (Or/Blue)
    Relay 2 (high) gets ground from pin# 26 (blue/green) to turn the fans on "high"

At the actual fan PLUG, you will see 4 wires.
    Black, Black (these are two grounds, always grounded not switched)
    and
    White/Red
    Brown/White

The white/red wire is the HIGH signal.
    The brown/red wire is the LOW signal.
    White/red will get 12Volts when pin26 (at the F3 plug, Blue/green) gets grounded.
    etc..

But how does our pin26 and pin20 get ground to turn the relays on to begin with?
    Simple. the ECU (SR20DET ECU)
    The wire colors are the same at the ECU.
    Blue/green and Orange/Blue. They come out of pin 33, and 19, respectivelly, from the ECU.
    The wires run directly to the F3 plug, then to the relays under your hood.

So lets look at the KA24 Pinout of the F3(F4, whatever) Plug, to see where these wires need to go.

According to the KA pinout, pins:
    41 = Blue/Green from ECU as RFRL Cooling fans low (gets grounded)
    25 = Orange/Blue from ECU as RFRH COoling fans high (gets grounded)

Notice anything? Yeah. Its backwards. Orange/blue on the KA actually is HIGH, not LOW, like the SR20./ I wonder if they did that on purpose... Or is it a mistake?
    Or, perhaps the relays are reversed?
    Hmmm grind your mind yet? keep reading.

In any case. Now we know where the wires SHOULD go. Pin 41 and 25.

Now, follow me as I wire this up.
    DOnt get lost, heh.
    Look at your SR20 F3 plug.
    Find the Orange/blue wire. Gooood. It should be (or have been) plugged into pin (Sr20)20. It goes into pin#8(SR20). If you looked at your old KA F3 plug, you would see that pin 8 is actually pin 41, which used to be blue/green, so yes we just reversed it.

Now, find the blue/green wire on your SR20 harness.
    Im waiting.
    Keep looking.
    What?
    Its MISSING? NO WAY!!!
    Ok, wtf. We just got WTFBBQPWNED OMFWTFLAZERSPEWPEW.
    The FSM made a booboo.
    Check the diagram, it shows this imaginary blue/green wire running to the ECU into pin #33 (SR20)
    If you check pin#33... it is most def. not blue/green. ITS ORANGE BLACK! OMG.

SO tracing our steps back, we now know that the orange/black is actually the blue/green wire.
    This wire has to go to pin#16, right below the orange/blue we already wired.
    And yes, also wire it to pin#4 (SR20) As triple pressure switch... apparently. I suppose this activates the Triple pressure switch when the fans kick on high. or perhaps it turns the fans on high when the Treiple pressure switch activates.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

Well I got it painted and everything mostly installed, while I await my power FC I was going to run the stock ECU / MAF setup and just keep the wastegate down to 7PSI.

I used a used Turbonetics wastegate, Been reading they stick, if anyone has any exp with em let me know.

It started up ok, but runs with an intermitten miss, randomelly dropping the idle and runs rich.
    If you rev it, it will come back to idle like it should, then suddenly shut off.
    Strange.

I am going to check the IACV and, I guess, my wiring. I tried the maf/ecu/cts/tps from another car that works fine to eliminate them as the problem.
    Moving on, have a picture. Ignore the broken fan shroud- new ones in the mail
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

Quote Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
    Edit: the twin pin 27's on his diagram have been verified. see below.

In short, if you dont feel like reading it all, yes you double wire pin27 exactly as the diagram shows. many thanks, chunk, for sharing your hard time and effort with us all, even if I am stubborn and want to re-invent the wheel everytime.
    No problem... sorry for not posting all my source info/pic. Glad you got it up and running =]

Do you have the hose connected from the IC piping to the IACV? I don't see it in your pic. If you dont, there lies your problem. If you do, try taking the IACV assembly off the IM and clean it out with brake cleaner. Also, I see you did an AT/MT swap... You can do away with your loop plug by the fuesebox. Open your fusebox and lift out the various relay and fuse holders. Trace the wires back from the loopy plug and solder then together inside the box. You can also do away with the extra AT wiring by tucking it up inside below the fuse/relay holders.

Your swap looks very nice. Props!!!

I think the problem is surge from the turbo... if you rev it or get the rpms up then drop it, I think the turbo surges enough air back through the intake to stall the maf sensor and cause the motor to cut the fuel for a split second.

Yeah since that picture ive run the IACV lines and changed every single sensor I could think of, even switched the harness for a known good wired harness from a perfect running car.

It will just have to be like that for a while till the PFC D-jetro gets here i suppose.

Next problem; the motor has timing chain rattle. I am gussing that when the head was decked it slackened the chain up enough to cause it to hit the chain guide every now and then at the right resonance? just a shot in the dark. otherwise, i would suspect low oil pressure (tensioner operation failing)

And I need to switch out that turbo... it surges way too easy.
    Its set to 10PSI not 7PSI like I thought. I wonder if at 10PSI on the stock computer/injectors it will run lean. part throttle after 3500RPM is just surge city.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

OK today I discovered the noise I was hearing isnt timing chain at all, I beleive it to be lifter(s).

I wonder what my A/F's will be like on the stock injectors/maf/ecu with the 60-1 @ 10PSI. Probably... very rich? or very lean? I dont have my Wideband yet and my EGT's are showing 1150-1200*F as I push it into the 5PSI area with my foot 1/2 down, if I go much further the car kicks back and backfires... making me think its very very rich, otherwise I would think the EGT's would go very hot.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

my vote says very lean, 60-1 flows alot more air..... be careful! get a wideband asap

Quote Originally Posted by vosko
    my vote says very lean, 60-1 flows alot more air..... be careful! get a wideband asap
    Yeah Im no nut I was just curious

My reasoning was... a T-28 would be more efficient at 10PSI than a 60-1, I would think (checking the compressor maps... says yes) therefore I would think a T-28 would make more power at 10PSI in the less efficient ranges of the map of the 60-1 (such as 3500RPM when I had about 5psi and it backfired....)
    but its all just idle conjecture. Ill tell ya in a day or two when my laptop gets here (would you beleive they lost a laptop in the mail. I think the Fed-ex guy decided to keep it) And I have to bleed my lifters. without checking the FSM (yet) You hold them sideways in oil and push a needle into them, IRRC.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

You hold them sideways in oil and push a needle into them, IRRC.
    You stand them straight up in a cup of oil and insert a small hex key into the hole on top. There is a ball check valve that you must push down on. Pump the lifter in the oil until no more air comes out.

Sorry for bringing this old post up again but there is merely information about the S14sr swap into S14 kouki. I'm about to buy the s14sr engine and i'm working on the harness research but damn i start looking for the M63 conector and i just couldn't find it. I know is behind the ECU or somewere near but didn't find it. Could everyone post pics of the connector and it's location where ever is located?
    Thanks

The M63 Plug is on the chassis harness, the F3 from the engine harness plugs into it. The F3 plug is the big white one, that uses the lever thing. There is a pic of the F3 plug on this site.

http://mysite.verizon.net/nrgonline/s13sr_to_s14.htm

Also this is a good thread by klingading, but there are a bunch of mistakes in it. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Refill
    The M63 Plug is on the chassis harness, the F3 from the engine harness plugs into it. The F3 plug is the big white one, that uses the lever thing. There is a pic of the F3 plug on this site.

http://mysite.verizon.net/nrgonline/s13sr_to_s14.htm

Also this is a good thread by klingading, but there are a bunch of mistakes in it. Just a heads up.
    Not my fault, the FSM (after thorough investigation) Is quite wrong on quite a few diagrams.
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

Not my fault, the FSM (after thorough investigation) Is quite wrong on quite a few diagrams.
    Is that possible to make a new guide out of the mistakes you've found so far ?
    '02 GLE Maxima Sold
    '95 "2000 GSR" MDM: Hotshot header, 2 1/2" mandrel bent custom catback, S3 cams, Hotshot CAI, Fidanza flywheel, Stg 1 clutch, Lenzo 6.5 Kg wheels, 75hp NX shot Sold
    '98 240sx stock

Well finally after all these years I have a 98 sr20det here in an 97 240sx... So whenever this harness comes out I will be able to solve the mystery once and for all :D
    Bioengineering
    RNA splicing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12