The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: I tale of battle between two classics

I tale of battle between two classics

First day back from vacationing in the Rockies and I hadn't been in the 240sx in over a week. I couldn't wait to fire it up and hear the sweet low note of the 3" exhaust, softly playing the whirring song of the turbo. The tach slowly dropped from 2000rpm to idle as she warmed up, despite breathing in the crisp 35*F air, which seemed to fire the engine's soul like a rush of nitrous on a summer's eve. I snapped the throttle a couple times, to seal the deal. It's time for a drive.

There's nothing like the feel of a machine that seems to know your every anticipation. It was as though it began to accelerate by reading my thoughts, before the pedal was down. This day, the car was merely an extension of myself. Turns were effortless, braking was precise -all an intricate and delicate balance of bliss.

We worked our way through town, climbing the boost guage gradually -5psi, 7psi, traffic light. Once again, 5psi, 7psi, 10psi, traffic light. After a short cruise, the road opened up into a 4-lane channel several miles long. It's time to stretch her legs. Throttle down, 5psi, 7psi, 10, 12, 15psi, all the way to 6500rpm. Yep, she's ready for some fun.

Radio off, engine happily singing, eyes darting around cautiously, I wove my way through midday traffic, grinning from ear to ear, sizing up every vehicle I passed. Mini-van -no problem. Stock Mustang GT -won't even run me. Big Ford diesel truck -damn I want one so badly.

From in front of a distant work truck about 10 cars ahead, spaced widely, I see a glimpse of fire engine red, covering what seems to be about a 9" wide tire. "What is this," I thought to myself. "A possible contender?"

I mosied around through the openly spaced traffic to creep up slowly on the unsuspecting invader of my personal in-town play course. Who dares to drive a shiney red car on the same street as me? Hopefully, he knows the rules: You drive, you race. End of story...unless there are cops, heavy traffic or low fuel lights illuminating on dahsboards. These are valid exceptions for sure.

As I crept up, I saw the square letter tag on the hatch lid of the red car, which read: 944 TURBO.

My heart fluttered a bit as a plethora of thoughts ran through my head. "Will he be down for a run? Will I win? I wonder if it's modified. It sure is a clean car. Nope, he's an older dude, he probably won't run. He'd better run with me, I'm dyin' here!"

I slid up beside him in 4th gear at about 45mph and just hung for a few seconds, matching his speed. As I glanced out the passenger window, it was obvious I was getting no response. "Dammit!" I said under my breath. With a swift, but gentle slide of my right hand, the gear shift jumped quickly into 3rd gear. I eased down on the pedal just enough to make a little turbo noise and pulled on past the little red devil.

As I merged into the right lane to settle into a nice round 50mph cruise, I see a flash of red in my mirror. Could this be? Was he giving chase? Was he going to show me what the German monster could do to my puny little Japanese tincan? My desired answer to these questions was YES.

As the Porsche approached, I downshifted to 3rd gear and held it around 45mph. The little red rocket reciprocated and with a nod, we were off! Pedals down, engines screaming, he got the jump. "Damn, that's some good throttle response!" I thought to myself.

But his lead was short lived. As my boost guage flew wildly from vacuum to 15psi, my head and chest were pushed back into the seat, and the quiet KA let out a symphonic crecsendo from 3000rpm to 7000rpm. As I reached for the shifter and knocked it back into 4th gear, I glanced in the sideview mirror. The red devil, still squatting in the rear, just couldn't muster the strength to run the 240sx down. Two or three car lengths had already been gained and the race was over.

For kicks and laughs, we tried once more. Again, the 944 TURBO lept half a car ahead of me instantly, but quickly lost that lead as the KA filled it's lungs for yet another song of victory.

As I slowed for the upcoming turn, the Porsche eased on past me, it's commander throwing up a hand for a congratulatory wave. I continued on my journey to have lunch with my wife, keeping a watchful eye for another threat lying in wait.
    S13 KA-T -without duct tape and zip ties, we're doomed.

Great story. Too bad you don't live in the Bay Area. There's a certain A-Hole Supra driver here that needs a beat down!

lol Thanks!

+1. Great story. I laughed and cried...it was beautiful. I just wish it was warm here in pittsburgh so I could drive my car! The city puts too much salt on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by pwhitersxs
    +1. Great story. I laughed and cried...it was beautiful. I just wish it was warm here in pittsburgh so I could drive my car! The city puts too much salt on the roads.
    Move to Puerto Rico then ,hottest womens in the world ,nice place to live,beaches all around and always some cars 2 race
    "Floor it untill you see GOD, Drift, then let off"
    S14-RB20DET,GT35R,XS Power,Microtech Etc..405+WHP=11.00 sec 1/4
    S14:KA24DE (Manual) Nismo Stuff,Bolt Ons,Clutch Flywheel. 15.6 sec 1/4 with a slippin clutch.
    S14:KA24DE Auto (Wifey's Car) Bolt ons,Snd Syst 16.0 sec mile

Haha, it sounds nice in theory. If life worked out the way I wanted it to, I would live in a castle somewhere close to the beach and mountains, and make crazy money! Peurto rico would be nice place to live for sure! You are lucky, so whats the temperature been down there? In pittsburgh, its been in the teens!

You were the one that read the story to the other kids in class wer'nt you!
    Great story man!

lol nah, I was the one who made fart noises on my arm while someone else read the story...then got moved next to the stinky kid.

Thanks for the compliments!

very entertaining story. and nice encounter. Gotta love the porsche's but you definately gotta love the underdog 240's.
    -Boost rising...-=)

Nice kill. Excellent storytelling too, I almost forgot I was in the "Street Stories" section... ironically enough.
    '89 240sx Coupe, Redtop SR, S15 t28 @8psi.
    '92 240sx Hatch, stock as hell.

Awesome!

this is exactly the kind of Post, the Freshalloy Street Stories Forums is all about!!!

As a gesture of appreciation, to your beautiful work, both on the street and on this forum, you get your story stickied for one month!

Fred...
    "In the end we all just play the roles given us... Sometimes they dont fit so well,... but I guess we make do."

Dont forget MultiMedia forums!!
    http://www.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php/55-Multi-Media-Forum

2x91,92,94 Q45s, 2x 350Z, 1x 240SX w/ SR20DET, 1x Sentra SER SPEC-V, 2k2 Maxima, 2x03 G35, 09 Maxima, 2k2 Maxima, 2015 XTerra, 2005 Xterra, 2012 Pathfinder,

^^^ Wow! Thanks, Fred!

there are always a-hole supra drivers.....

stupid supra drivers...
    255 rwhp @ 14 psi RB20DET
    1989 R32 GTS-t
    1998 Nissan Frontier 4x4 KA24
    2007 Nissan Xterra

(oo\____/oo)
    |_| *----|_|

Quote Originally Posted by pwhitersxs
    Haha, it sounds nice in theory. If life worked out the way I wanted it to, I would live in a castle somewhere close to the beach and mountains, and make crazy money! Peurto rico would be nice place to live for sure! You are lucky, so whats the temperature been down there? In pittsburgh, its been in the teens!
    Most of the times the temperature down here is over 80's ,sometimes closer to the 95's but not hot as F*ck like in Iraq :caged:.

Thought sometimes it gets in the 65+'s and 70 in the morning or in nighttime
    "Floor it untill you see GOD, Drift, then let off"
    S14-RB20DET,GT35R,XS Power,Microtech Etc..405+WHP=11.00 sec 1/4
    S14:KA24DE (Manual) Nismo Stuff,Bolt Ons,Clutch Flywheel. 15.6 sec 1/4 with a slippin clutch.
    S14:KA24DE Auto (Wifey's Car) Bolt ons,Snd Syst 16.0 sec mile

beginining of your story sounded like you were driving a bugatti. good kill.
    (\ψ/)
    (дед)
    c('')('')

2007 FJ Cruiser
    2004 Silverstone 350z

better than cats!

awsome story.

and i can vouche for winter driving in Pittsburgh, it does indeed suck.

but least the snow fills the potholes in

awesome story, it made my day

lool..one amazing story there bud.. i love it when i hear under dogs like the 240 taking shots at exocitics..
    1990 s13 hatch..S13 SR20det swap

nice story man, love to hear that, I know this is a old post but what the hell
    2011 M37S Moonlight White
    2006 Range Rover
    2012 Camaro LS (Wife Ride)
    2004 Cadillac Escalade (Wife's Ride, Pearl White/Peanut Butter Interior Totaled 09)
    1995 Impala SS Modded DCM (Dark Cherry Metallic) Sold
    2004 Impala SS (Sold)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/229728...a-ss-sedan-4d/

http://www.nicoclub.com