The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site

Thread: Roof Rack?

Roof Rack?

Considering trading my Murano for a Versa - better mileage, lower payments - but slightly concerned about trunk space in the hatchback. I have not yet driven one nor had a chance to see how much space there really is back there but it looks pretty tight from the outside.
    We usually have just two adults and one child in the car so we could probably fit luggage OK, but sometimes we need to get two kids or a child and an adult and luggage there, so I was wondering if a roof rack is a possibility.
    Don't think Nissan offers one - is this something that you can add aftermarket to a Versa? Maybe some kind of Thule system? Is the trunk area bigger than it appears at first glance?

wait for the rouge.. a mini murano =]
    MY CAR:
    2010 NISSAN FRONTIER LE CREW CAB AVALANCHE WITH STEEL LEATHER. WISH LIST: EXHAUST, INTAKE, XENONS, SUPERCHIPS
    2009 NISSAN VERSA HATCH 6-SPEED SO FAR XENONS OTHER MODS ON THE WAY(TRADED)

Nissan Does offer a roof rack for the versa...at least in canada. I don't think that'd be hard to get from a dealer. you may want to check in with your local parts guy.

Canadian Link
    Brian
    MySpace
    RIP: 2002 Vibrant Blue spec-v
    my ride is the Chicago Transit Authority. viva the peoples chariot!
    FreshAlloy's Nissan Versa Forum Moderator.

I am in the process of closing a deal on a Versa in Canada and had originally specified that I wanted the Nissan roof rack until I saw it in the flesh. It's simply a rebadged Sport Rack Mondial roof rack that has nothing but crappy reviews on the web, and my experience with it is also that it's not very good.

I decided to order a Thule rack instead since Thule now makes a fit kit for the Versa hatch (I'm not sure about the sedan). I think the Thule part number is 2183. I ordered mine out of the US from www.ems.com and got truly awesome service. They also have some of the best prices I've seen. If you still order tonight, you get an extra 15% off.

I hope that helps. Save your time & money and don't get the "Nissan" rack, it's not strong, doesn't hold to the roof securely, and really is a universal fit rack.

The Thule is rated to carry 165 lbs safely.

Thanks!

Very helpful information. I had looked at the Thule site but it seemed pretty confusing - having the correct part number (I want a hatchback as well) is great. Now I just have to get a good price on the car... Thanks again!

I went to RackAttack and had them install the roof rails right to the car.
    At first it seemed nuts to drill a bunch of holes in the roof but it's really no different than any SUV type rack installation. I can instantly slide the towers to fit a bike rack, cargo box or basket or combination of stuff.
    It looks like a factory product. I used 60" tracks that run the entire roof length and 48" bars with an air dam. Without that wind deflector, the Yakima bars are loud! With it, very quiet.