The Nissan and Infiniti Enthusiasts Site
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Best Highway Debris Story?

What's Your Best Highway Debris Story?

Riff's story about pig guts on the highway made me laugh as I recalled all the crazy stuff I've seen on the highways over the years. I spent a number of summers in college as a delivery driver and thus logged A LOT of miles around the Seattle area. Here's my top 10 "saw it on the highway" memories:

10) Overturned pickup on Ship Canal bridge, spilled its load of watermelons. Red pulpy carnage in all lanes.

9) Fish! Lots and lots of fish! Highway 99, covered in fish. Not sure how it happened but there they were.

8) Styrofoam packing peanuts on I-5 near Northgate Mall. Millions and millions of them. Looked like it was snowing. Never saw a crushed box or any indication of where they came from.

7) A rendering truck lost a couple of wheelbarrow loads of "goods" one summer on I-5. The backup was not too bad but the smell. Oh, the smell.

6) Someone on the way to recycle about 1,000 aluminum cans lost them all on the West Seattle Freeway. Midspan on the bridge which is heavily sloped. The were all rolling down the freeway.

5) An army vehicle loaded with boxes of small caliber shell casings dumped its load by South Center Mall on I-5. Literally millions of brass casings everywhere.

4) 4 cases of antifreeze slipped off the back of a Napa truck as it rounded the corner in the Battery Street tunnel. Someone obviously didn't check his load properly before departing the Napa store. Did I mention I was a delivery driver? That was fun to explain to the boss:o

3) Anyone who has driven on the Alaskan Way Viaduct (Southbound, lover level) knows how bumpy the expansion joints are. If you get going just the right speed you set up a harmonic wave in your suspension and can really get to bouncing around. So much so that the pickup truck IN FRONT of me lost an unsecured refrigerator that was in the bed. No, there was no food in it.

2) "I see dead people." Or, at least their coffins. A tractor trailer carrying coffins tipped over in the S curves in Renton. Oops.

1) And finally, there's no place like home. 1/2 of a manufactured home was laying across 5 of the 6 lanes of traffic at the base of the Southcenter hill on I-5 after the truck carrying it jack-knifed and crashed.

OK, so what have you seen on the roads?
    1968 Datsun Roadster - SR20DET

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904

I was driving home from a Z club meeting, and in the middle of my lane, there was the arm of a sofa.

It was dark, and the sofa was black, so I didn't see it until it was too late, and I clipped the hell out of it.

Oh man I can beat all of these.

They were moving bridge portions/crains on these huge oversized load trailers down PCH (pac coast hwy in socal) in long beach from the Port Area of Long Beach and Hangers at the airport where they were manufactured and built to seal beach area where the naval ship yard area is.

It was about 9 pm at night and about 25 CHP truck block off what is about a mile and shut down the whole roadway blocking several intersections for mile stretch or more (thought there was a terrorist attack or something).

This huge multi tractor with multi tractor trailer monstrosity rolls down and round 2nd street and then down towards Seal Beach on what is Westminster blvd.

All of a sudden (because the chp is idiotic apparently) the crain piece (which is larger than a locomotive and about 3 stories tall) takes out like three high tension power lines just above it, arching and sparking like crazy and cracking like Nicoli tesla just farted. All the traffic starts backing up and the power lines light on fire. All the power on that part of the grid went out and emergency services were flying all over the city to deal with it + several helicopters.

It just sat there smoldering arc welded to the truck and the power line for several hours. haha.
    http://shadowerks.com
    Dyno Dynamics Your Premier EMS tech.
    :thumbup:

Ran over some metal **** on the Ohio Turnpike, probably dropped off some truck from New Jersey. That took me out in May 2005, major fun there. I ended up driving the next day all the way from Akron to St Ignace.

I've run over various rodents on the roads in Ohio as well.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.

Nothing too exciting but I have encountered plenty of sheetrock, hay bails, and also got to see a box spring get run over by a semi truck after it flew off a buddies truck.

Stuff Found ON Road

Quote Originally Posted by detroadster
    Riff's story about pig guts on the highway made me laugh as I recalled all the crazy stuff I've seen on the highways over the years. I spent a number of summers in college as a delivery driver and thus logged A LOT of miles around the Seattle area. Here's my top 10 "saw it on the highway" memories:

10) Overturned pickup on Ship Canal bridge, spilled its load of watermelons. Red pulpy carnage in all lanes.

9) Fish! Lots and lots of fish! Highway 99, covered in fish. Not sure how it happened but there they were.

8) Styrofoam packing peanuts on I-5 near Northgate Mall. Millions and millions of them. Looked like it was snowing. Never saw a crushed box or any indication of where they came from.

7) A rendering truck lost a couple of wheelbarrow loads of "goods" one summer on I-5. The backup was not too bad but the smell. Oh, the smell.

6) Someone on the way to recycle about 1,000 aluminum cans lost them all on the West Seattle Freeway. Midspan on the bridge which is heavily sloped. The were all rolling down the freeway.

5) An army vehicle loaded with boxes of small caliber shell casings dumped its load by South Center Mall on I-5. Literally millions of brass casings everywhere.

4) 4 cases of antifreeze slipped off the back of a Napa truck as it rounded the corner in the Battery Street tunnel. Someone obviously didn't check his load properly before departing the Napa store. Did I mention I was a delivery driver? That was fun to explain to the boss:o

3) Anyone who has driven on the Alaskan Way Viaduct (Southbound, lover level) knows how bumpy the expansion joints are. If you get going just the right speed you set up a harmonic wave in your suspension and can really get to bouncing around. So much so that the pickup truck IN FRONT of me lost an unsecured refrigerator that was in the bed. No, there was no food in it.

2) "I see dead people." Or, at least their coffins. A tractor trailer carrying coffins tipped over in the S curves in Renton. Oops.

1) And finally, there's no place like home. 1/2 of a manufactured home was laying across 5 of the 6 lanes of traffic at the base of the Southcenter hill on I-5 after the truck carrying it jack-knifed and crashed.

Man that's alot of stuff from one guy. They drive that bad/wild in Washington state? The only weird thing I have seen on the highway (well regular roadway) was an uprooted stop sign.
    Dam! Dam!! Damm!!!

The only memorable one I have is when I had just got picking up an engine and was on my way back down I75, I got pulled over for speeding. :(

Seeing a dead racoon on the shoulder as I pulled off, I made sure to hit it and decomposing racoon filled the wheel well. It stunk way worse than I thought it would, the HP almost vomitted while talking to me.

Fortunately he let me go with a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by detroadster

Did you work at napa to......lol, I use to hate to haul the anti-frezze casses!

So I'm driving down I40-I85 about 75mi hour, some azz-hat lets a ladder fall off the back of his truck, so needless to say I'm coming up a slope and when I head back down there is a f..ing ladder right in the lane I am in, hit the brakes, with no time to react, so all 4 wheels hit it, I go airborn
    about 50mi an hour, come back down with a flat right front tire almost wreck, but save it go to the shoulder, what a ride! A state trooper pulls up and asked whats up, I tell him, he says there has been a big pileup back that way, I say it must of been that ladder, he says probally so.
    93 S13SR

I got a few, but here are the 2 i remember best

First one, I was in my local town, getting on I75, and some jackass in a plumbing work truck decided to cut me off prior to the light. Well, this jack ass pulled out from the light like a bat out of hell, and about 50 pieces of copper pipe fly out onto the roadway, causing some old guy to dodge himself right into the median and into a sign.

Second one, was actually recent, as I was driving south on i75, some **** in an expedition decided he would ride in the fast lane, doing roughly 85mph. Well, I'm about 2 or 3 cars back, and all of a sudden there is an explosion of clothes all over the highway. I mean, EVERYWHERE, so luckily no one was beside me, and due to the idiots in front of me slamming their brakes, i was able to swerve all the way over and managed to dodge the chaos. In my rearview all i see is a cloud of dirt, and not a single car. I pulled over a few minutes down the road to check my car, and of course there is a tshirt stuck to the front my intercooler. Needless to say, i was the only person southbound for a good 15 minutes.
    -Tyler
    Cars
    '93 S13 - SR, 3", FMIC, Stock Boost
    www.imvfilms.com
    www.intmo.com

I avoided it, but there was a rocking chair in the middle of I-696 westbound last summer. Yikes.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." They're not gonna catch us. We're on a Mission from God. Hit it.

From the book of 1 Avalonians: Thou shalt not park a Nissan Maxima in thine driveway and thou shalt not have any gods before Toyotathon.

Dark Energy Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by M_TYPE_X
    I avoided it, but there was a rocking chair in the middle of I-696 westbound last summer. Yikes.
    That's from an Ingmar Bergman film - did you look back to see if there was someone in it after you passed?

- Riff

Some good friends of mine are triathletes and on a way to an event they forgot to lock their bikes on the Van they were driving - so on the hill up the Sepulveda pass on the 405 (in Los Angeles) off the bikes go onto the freeway. One lady hits one and it flattens her driver side tire.

They come back to get their bike parts (since they are light-weight and mostly run over they are pretty much gone) and she is there talking - she swerved to avoid the first bike and then there were bikes everywhere and she couldn't avoid the next one so BAM!

So the funny part now-

To be nice they offered to help her with her flat tire since they felt bad - and the guy installing the jack mounted the support on her front bumper - not the factory location - so jack, jack, jack, BAM - off comes her front bumper!!

Frickin hilarious (but not for the lady I am sure) - they did pay for her repairs - but what a morning!
    --------------------------------
    '06 Sedan Obsidian Sport Package

Watch me drop it like it's hot...

I am a Firefighter so i have a few.

1. One of the first calls I ever ran(about9 years ago) Trackor Trailer carrying Yuengling(brewery is nearby) overturned in highway. Law prevents them from selling any of the beer after the accident. Per the Brewery, State police closed off the area, notified media that they could get free beer but you had to be 21 and have ID. They checked everyone's ID and let them have up to 5 cases each.

2. about 3 months ago, 53 foot trailer full of LOOSE Pepsi bottle caps overturned down the street from our firehouse. The road and entire hillside was solid yellow. Company rep said about 10,000,000 caps in trailer. Since they where contest caps they hired a crew to pick them up. THEY GOT EVERY ONE, we checked.

3. arrive on scene of a vehicle accident. There is a new F250 with a 2 foot diameter tree under it, lying across the road. It was stormy that night. We asked the owner what happened. He said he was coming around the bend and saw the tree falling. He slammed on the brakes. The tree hit the ground just as he got to it. He felt a big bump. When he got out, the tree was under the truck, where the cab meets the bed. He said him and his wife where scared to death because they thought the tree would fall on them.
    --on a side note, he had just gotten the truck that day(still had window sticker). He inspected it for damage, and was unable to find any. He backed the truck back over the tree, drove it down the road a ways, came back and said it didn't even change the alignment. I'm not big on fords but that says something IMO.

4. This one is my favorite. I guess it would be considered road debris. We were heading to the other firehouse in our township(we really didn't get along!) to enjoy the pancake breakfast they were having that day before heading to an all MACK truck show with our 1982 CF MACK(which was still a first out engine then). We both got a call while we were on the way there. They had held us in the engine on the call(nobody likes sitting around) so we where even more unhappy with them. On the way back from the call, we were following them back to theier fire house. When they started up the hill near thier firehouse, they started loosing 5inch(yellow plastic coated) supply hose. That hose is not hooked to anything, just in the rear hosebed and if not loaded properly, can start peeling off if you hit a bump. OH yeah, it is a MAJOR BI*CH to load back on. They laided all 1500 feet they carried in the middle of the road before we could let them know about it... We all smiled and waved when we passed them
    Check out the FA Sponsor's Specials

JOIN THE FRESHALLOY ELITE! INFO HERE!

1997 Maxima SE 5spd: Modded

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure"
    -- Clarence Darrow

These two pale in comparision but they've stuck with me over the years. I was driving down the freeway (405) through Long Beach and there was a road cone in between two of the lanes. Everyone was doing just fine with avoiding it because it wasn't in either of the lanes. This stupid hoe in an SUV decides to change lanes right over the cone. It got spit out from beneath her behemoth vehicle and right into my car. Dented the hood, shattered the headlights, messed up the grill. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if my car wasn't a 1972 Datsun 510 so finding replacement parts was a complete PITA. All I could think as the lady was changing lanes was, "B*tch, you're NOT going to... ya, you are." :(

The other day I was driving through LA and traffic was backed up way more than it should have been. It turns out that an armored car broke down on the side of the road. It was kind of like Steve said... There were so many cops there you would have thought it was a terrorist attack or something. They closed down 5 lanes worth of freeway and had CHP with automatic weapons not exactly pointed at oncoming traffic, but not exactly not pointed at oncoming traffic.
    Pushin Nissans since 1997.

Highway debris? I passed some Toyotas today.

Yesterday on my way to work (local streets), I saw a California blade. Made a u-turn and picked it up. hheheeeee

The handle probably got run over a couple times but unscrewing the bolts, I was a able to aligned it back atleast 90%. Saves me $15-$20.

Quote Originally Posted by miata007
    Yesterday on my way to work (local streets), I saw a California blade. Made a u-turn and picked it up. hheheeeee

The handle probably got run over a couple times but unscrewing the bolts, I was a able to aligned it back atleast 90%. Saves me $15-$20.

wtf is a California blade?
    Pushin Nissans since 1997.

Dark Energy Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave562
    wtf is a California blade?
    I think this is what he means ....

Used to dry a car instead of cloth or chamois. It basically a piece of silicone with a handle thats supposed to wipe off the water without scratching the paint.

- Riff

I've seen a few funny things. Most take place on I-10 in Florida.

I had my gixxer in the bed of my truck and was taking it to get dyno'd when some idiot with a trailer loaded full of golf carts goes flying past me. I usually cruise at about 80mph, and this guy walked me. After he pased me I noticed the trailer was getting a bit squirly, and sure enough, he hit a bump and the trailer turned over sending golf flying everywhere, it was hilarious watching someone who was trying to save 5~10 minutes lose about $40K in golfcart.

Semi was tailgating a ghetto truck poorly packed full of crap, I was passing the rig when the dresser tumbled off the back of the truck into the semi, it exploded in a spectacular display of wood and spliters. The pieces were so small that nothing damaged the car I was driving at the time.

Went to Laguna Beach - driving down I-5 to San Diego - traffic came to a dead stop - some moron had a commercial stove/oven on the back of a pickup and it slid off into the middle lanes of the highway.

Driving to a long weekend on Rt 10 in NJ near Parsippany - pick up truck with trailer attached lost a Bobcat sized front loader. It had bounced down the highway gouging the road and sent at least one car braking hard to the right of the road.

Two weeks later on Rt 8 in CT - another moron in a Tahoe towing a trailer with a couch, chair and computer printer on it - chair proceeds to slid off the trailer and is doing 60 MPH down the road in front of us until it slows down from the friction. The couch is almost off and the printer was never even tied down. It looked like they had used one strap to hold everything down. They finally realized what happened and pulled over.

Have seen a couple of mattresses and plenty of deer.
    2006 LeMans Blue Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
    2007 Range Rover Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast